transporting method - hobie outback in toyota tundra?

rono

transporting method - hobie outback in toyota tundra?

Post by rono »

Just got my first kayak, a hobie outback. Put it in my 2014 tundra that has a 6.5' bed. The tundra bed hooks aren't positioned very well for tying down a kayak. Just wondering how tundra owners secure their boats?

Thanks for any help.
xmatador2000

Re: transporting method - hobie outback in toyota tundra?

Post by xmatador2000 »

Check out a bed extender that attaches to your hitch.
rono

Post by rono »

xmatador2000 wrote:Check out a bed extender that attaches to your hitch.
How long are the bed extenders? Or are they adjustable? My boat is 12', doesnt actually stick out that far past my tailgate.

I was more concerned about the actual tie-down points and how folks with Tundra's attach straps to their boats without doing damage. When I brought my boat home for the first time last weekend, I sat it in the bed, right side up. Used tie downs on the handles of the yak. It did bounce a little but not that much. Wasn't sure if it needed to be 100% stationary, and if so, how to achieve that. maybe putting noodles underneath it would stabilize it?

Hate to sound dumb....its just that the tie down points on my truck arent in ideal locations for doing this task - and being new to this, I didnt want to do something that would damage my new toy. :D
Tallgrass07

Post by Tallgrass07 »

I used a bed extender before I got my trailer. I'd use a rope at the bow around the toolbox, a rope across the back of the tailgate attached to the brackets where the tailgate latches latch (just visible above the right gunwale in the photo), and then a rope around the stern and the bed extender.
Attachments
lights4.jpg
SFHarry

Post by SFHarry »

I have an 03 Tundra and an Outback. I attached two ratchet tiedowns to the eyebolts in the front of the bed next to the cab and run these to the kayak handle by the rudder. I don't crank down on these too much or you would distort the boat! With the back gate down I have another ratchet tiedown that runs from the tailgate lock ubolts across the kayak. This one I do put some pressure on to keep the kayak from sliding around. I attach a red flag to the rudder end of the kayak. Doesn't move and have been hauling this way for 5 years!
xmatador2000

Post by xmatador2000 »

I do have a Tundra, but I don't use a hitch extender because my kayak is 9 feet long and it fits perfectly with a tailgate extension. I see that people use this one on their trucks. They wrapped the T-head with pool noodles. At a minimum, I would strap the kayak to the T head and would run 2 straps from the front handle of the kayak to the 2 hooks of your truck bed.

http://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed- ... 69650.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I will let other people pitch in on this subject. There are plenty of pics of that specific setup (for other trucks) on this site you can search for.
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

I used to use ladder rack for my truck I used pvc to support the kayak (runs the length of the kayak). Works very well and left the bed empty, so I could still use it for the rods and fishing gear. More expensive than an extender though.

I now use a trailer, the best/easiest way, imo.
GCARR

Post by GCARR »

Too easy
Attachments
20160715_081250.jpg
20160715_081250.jpg
rono

Post by rono »

Thanks to all! 8)