Gluing stuff on kayaks??

Ponky

Gluing stuff on kayaks??

Post by Ponky »

did some reaserch on what can stick well to a kayak but didnt get much luck. what im trying to do is glue a cover on the back of my yak to prevent too much water coming in and into my seat now that the cold water days are around the corner. i just want to keep it a little more on the dry side. just wondering if anybody has tried gluing something to polyethylene that really stuck to it. ive tried some sort of marine goop glue on the scupper holes and worked ok but after a month it gave out. i was thinking on gorila glue? just doing trial and error in the monent now and trying to get some ideas on what else can i use. thanks for any help guys.

btw i own an older style OK frenzy if it helps on ideas. ppl that have had a frenzy should know what im talking about.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Gluing stuff on kayaks??

Post by texnomad »

Thermo welding is the only way I know to permanently stick things to polyethylene. Generally I try to use mechanical fasteners for everything.
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

Ponky

You will need pool noodle to create scupper plugs in the frenzy no need for glue
( I used foam golf balls)
As for the rear section the frenzy is designed that way and. That is a large area to cover
I recommend to elevate your seat to avoid monkey butt.
As for cold weather kayak in I would use breathable waders.

You can try some pool noodle board material and cover the area in the back use marine goop
It will last tru winter

GLW project

Z-man
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I am thinking that filling the rear well with flotation and bunge cords to hold it in place may be workable. I have a similar situation with my yak.
Tallgrass07

Post by Tallgrass07 »

Try some heavy duty adhesive velcro strips. Easy on, secure, and then easy to remove when it warms up.
Ponky

Post by Ponky »

Z~MAN wrote:Ponky

You will need pool noodle to create scupper plugs in the frenzy no need for glue
( I used foam golf balls)
As for the rear section the frenzy is designed that way and. That is a large area to cover
I recommend to elevate your seat to avoid monkey butt.
As for cold weather kayak in I would use breathable waders.

You can try some pool noodle board material and cover the area in the back use marine goop
It will last tru winter

GLW project

Z-man

i used glue to cover the scupper holes before i found foam nerf balls. now i use just that to cover the scupper holes. i did elevate my seat once but my yak can get extremely tippy if you elevate your seating area and i have fallen off before for the same reason. lastly would probably try what you said about putting noodle board with marine goop. its held up ok before so might give that a try.