Anchor rope holder

capsized

Anchor rope holder

Post by capsized »

Weather sux so I played around in the garage. Been wanting to try this idea to keep my rope. I've seen the dog leash etc but I like a heavier rope and anchor. I fish rough wind and waves sometimes and need a heavy anchor. Here's pics. It's self explained
Attachments
20161109_203331.jpg
capsized

Re: Anchor rope holder

Post by capsized »

Pic 2
Attachments
20161109_202948.jpg
capsized

Post by capsized »

One more
Attachments
20161109_202515.jpg
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Clever! You could put an L of pvc in the top to wind it up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

retractable dog collar or dive reel
05madmax

Post by 05madmax »

Newbie here. What do you in the case of the fish hauling the line under/around the anchor line? I haven't had this happen yet but trying to be prepped for Murphy's law as it always seems to find me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
robjm09

Post by robjm09 »

I don't do this... But I have seen some people with a quick release for your anchor line. Once you hook on to a fish you can release the anchor rope and you are free to fight the fish as you need. I would definitely add a float to your anchor line so that you can easily come back and pick up your anchor line once you land the fish. Hope this helps!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

05madmax wrote:Newbie here. What do you in the case of the fish hauling the line under/around the anchor line? I haven't had this happen yet but trying to be prepped for Murphy's law as it always seems to find me.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
robjm09 nailed it. Use the quick release if you have one.

If I get a fish near my anchor I usually finesse the rod tip to keep it out of the anchor line. In other words I am prepared to put my rod under water keeping my reel out of the water and pass the rod under the anchor rope switching hands to keep hold of rod. It takes practice but is easy to do if you get into that predicament.
I have had my line getting tangled "once" and it broke my line on a really nice trout. Ever since then i use this technique if need be, Only had to do it twice so far. One of those times (the first time) I got the reel partially submerged for a brief second and I just used my water bottle on board to wash it off quickly.