Best kayak carrier question

Speckman888

Best kayak carrier question

Post by Speckman888 »

I just bought a pro angler 12.I need to carry it on a chevy trailblazer suv.I need help on what is the easiest rack to load it.i want something simple but it weighs 129 lbs.Any advice would be appreciated
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Best kayak carrier question

Post by kickingback »

Tallgrass07

Post by Tallgrass07 »

I know several guys and some small women who use Yakima HullyRollers to get their kayaks atop their SUVs. A trailer is always an option.
smtxom

Post by smtxom »

I'd recommend a trailer. You can buy a nice trailer for about $300ish on craigslist. Just make sure you get a bill of sale and make sure they were the owner of record at the tax office. If not then you'll be SOL trying to get it registered and get plates.

Malone sells racks you can attach to trailer rails that can be used to load kayaks on top of..

http://www.basspro.com/Malone-Paddle-Ge ... extensions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seaaggie_99

Post by seaaggie_99 »

I have a PA14 that I would car-top on my Ford Edge (lower than your Trailblazer...) - I'm a bigger guy and I didn't think the dry weight of the PA would be that bad but after a few months of loading and unloading by myself, I realized two things: 1) even with only lifting one end at a time, it's a bit of a chore doing it by yourself and 2) I was starting to notice more rash on the bottom of my yak (from loading/unloading on all kinds of surfaces) as well as the parts of the car that got contacted during the process.

Recognizing the two issues above and knowing I needed a 'proper rack' I started researching and pricing roof top racks. My Edge doesn't have the cargo rails so I quickly learned that a decent semi-permanent setup was going to cost a pretty penny and even after that, when I got home, I'd still have to unload and store my yak. I watched Craig's List and the For Sale forum here and ended up picking up a modified jet ski trailer from another TKF'er for less than I would have spent on a roof rack. It was already setup for a Hobie (he had an Outback) so all I had to do was spread the pipe runners a few inches to match my hull and I was done. Now when I get home, I just unhook it and roll it into the garage (only takes up a little more space than the yak did by itself) and the best part is I don't have to lift it much higher than my waist!

I'll admit, there was a bit of a mental block for me as I really dislike dealing with trailers but after I got past it, I could kick myself for not making that jump sooner. Just short of the yak itself, I'd say that was the money best spent!