Kayak stabilizers/outriggers

ATXflyguy83

Kayak stabilizers/outriggers

Post by ATXflyguy83 »

I am FINALLY picking up my kayak today. I went with a cheaper yak that I plan on modding out like crazy. I do have a question for the experienced. I would like to do some kayak stabilizers/outriggers for it however I just read an article that said it is kind of pointless to use them, anyone care to comment? I would really only use them if I'm fly fishing on a lake and I'd like to stand. I'd love to hear y'all's input!

T.K.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Kayak stabilizers/outriggers

Post by kickingback »

Do a search on YouTube for your kayak model and stabilizers and I bet you might find some ideas and how well they will work.
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

I made some for my old kayak (OK prowler 15). They worked great and we're a lot cheaper than yak gear outriggers (I made an exact copy of theirs). But I started to use them less as they were bulky and took up a bunch of room, and sometimes got in the way of paddling. Then I got a more stable kayak and don't use them at all...

Not sure why anyone would say they're pointless, though. If you're gonna be standing up more and fly fishing, get/make them, they work. But you could also learn how to fly fish sitting down, or on your knees.
ATXflyguy83

Post by ATXflyguy83 »

It's not so much a concern of fly fishing from sitting position as it is just being able to stand in general from sitting most of the day. The bulk is a concern too. I'd prefer to be able to store them in the hull and pull them out when needed, but I'm no so sure that will be possible. I may just table the idea.
ATXflyguy83

Post by ATXflyguy83 »

What the hell? Seems like a random forum for spammers to participate in.
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

The only outriggers that wouldn't take up much space that I can think of would be the hobie amas. They take apart easily and deflate to fit inside the kayak. I've used them before on another person's kayak and they worked well. They're expensive though. Maybe you could make your own DIY version or something.

Ughh, the spammers have been out of control lately...