stand up in my sit-in yak

iguess27

stand up in my sit-in yak

Post by iguess27 »

New to TKF message board.

Located down on the island and the fiance bought me a sit in kayak last Christmas. I am still in the process of rigging it up, but something that I really want to know is how to stabilize my sit-in to be able to stand up. I am looking to pole around the marsh area and I have started to fly fish.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it!
TrailChaser

Re: stand up in my sit-in yak

Post by TrailChaser »

Everyone I've talked to who has made themselves outriggers say they work great.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kayak+o ... t+yourself" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

That is probably a very bad idea. Recovery from a sit-in yak is way more complicated than with a sot kayak. Especially if you are in deep water and don't have a bilge pump.
iguess27

Post by iguess27 »

I would only stand up in shallow water. I am really aiming at in the marsh or on the flats that are shallow.
pitontheprowl
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by pitontheprowl »

I use to stand in my Featherlite but it can get real tippy too.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

How wide is it? Some of the wider SINKs may be (never tried it myself, so I may be off track here) fairly stable to stand in, as your weight is in the lowest part of the hull. I have seen it done, but never paid much attention to details.
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

TrailChaser wrote:Everyone I've talked to who has made themselves outriggers say they work great.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kayak+o ... t+yourself" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i agree with this