Best Anchor Trolley for Outback. Hobie vs. Yakattack? Other?

chinookhead

Best Anchor Trolley for Outback. Hobie vs. Yakattack? Other?

Post by chinookhead »

Hi. I'm researching what Anchor Trolley to put on my new 2017 Hobie Outback that should arrive in a couple weeks. On my two other kayaks (Jackson Cuda and now sold OK Prowler), I was satisfied with my DIY no holes trolley that simply was rope and carabiners threaded through the handles. It worked perfectly for me and I loved that it did not involve drilling holes. However, because of the placement of the handles on the Outback, the handles will not work well for a trolley.

The two trolley systems that I am most heavily leaning towards are the Hobie trolley system and the Yakattack - Leverloc Anchor Trolley. Keep in mind that I hate putting too many holes in my hull, since I'm always worried about undermining the waterproof nature of the hull. What I like about the Yakattack - Leverloc Anchor Trolley is the simplicity of the install and easy watertight nature of the install because of the self-threading screws. Personally, I sometimes find that really locking down a bolt can sometimes be tough (the angle and plastic sticking out etc.). However, I have no experience with using self-threading screws and I am a bit worried if it would really be strong enough for an application like the pull of an anchor against current/tide or waves. Do you guys think that the self-threading screws are strong enough and that I really shouldn't be too worried about it pulling out?
http://shop.mariner-sails.com/Yakattack ... egoryId=-1

The nice thing about the Hobie system is that it is made for the Hobies and I assume that the nut bolt with nylon washers are much more secure. However, it involves even bigger holes for the install to insert the well nuts......but these well nuts really should not get much tension, so they should remain pretty watertight.
http://shop.mariner-sails.com/Universal ... egoryId=-1

Which trolley system would you use and have you used either of the above systems? Is there another better option? I'll be using this kayak in local Dallas lakes, but I also do trips to Galveston and Port Aransas where waves, currents, and tides are a bigger issue.
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Re: Best Anchor Trolley for Outback. Hobie vs. Yakattack? Other?

Post by Z~MAN »

I have used and installed several anchor trolleys go harken pullies and I like the ones with ceramic bearings. Both hobie and yak gear use harken.
I have also done the single block pulley

Ack has it on sale and 5% off
Or get it at achademy

Hope it helps

Let's go Fishin....coco!
Z-man
chinookhead

Post by chinookhead »

Thanks for the info Z-Man. The Yakattack trolleys also have the Harken Pulleys. I now see that Yakattack has a version that is pretty much exactly like the "levelock" version called "Yakattack - Leverloc Anchor Trolley Hd" that has the added benefit of a backing plate.
http://shop.mariner-sails.com/Yakattack ... egoryId=-1
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

If you have access to the inside go with the smallest size diameter and add some fender washers if u r afraid of the size of hole to drill
If not the well nuts work great, just don't use any silicone or they will not grip.

I'd go with the less expensive $20 and u will be fine.
I got them on a PA, outback and redo with no issues

Z-man
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

I have the hobie anchor trolley on my 2016 outback and it works great. Very easy the install because there's hatches right where you install the two pulleys. No problems with leaking.