NorChill Cooler bag vs Engel BackPacl Realtree edition

TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

NorChill Cooler bag vs Engel BackPacl Realtree edition

Post by TKFStubb »

I just finished a good shakedown of 2 bag-style coolers fresh on the market. We have all been beaten over the head with Yeti ads but few of us can afford to find out if they live up to their hype. Well, here are a couple of alternatives that you CAN afford. The first is made by NorCross Marine. Their NorChill line of coolers, available at Target. They sent me the 30 can size with 1 side pocket and a very tough but easy to use zipper. The exterior can really take a beating. The whole thing washes off easily and after storing 2 reds for 4 hours, it doesn't even smell like fish. At around
$70, it wins the price race easily. It kept my "ice challenge" for about 18 hours which is plenty for a long day on the water.

Next up was the Engel BackPak Realtree edition. With about the same size interior dimensions, it has two cooler compartments with lift out liners to catch fish scales and melted Dream Sickles. It also has outer mesh pockets for sunscreen, bug spray, and sunglasses. Then, you will find outer zippered pouches for extra tackle or rain gear. The back pack straps fit the back of all the high seats in kayaks that I tried it on, keeping your drinks right where you need them. This cooler also kept my test "ice challenge " for about 18 hours. These extra features cost more but at $179 at ACK, it is still way less than the YETI.

Both of these coolers are made with quality materials and each fits its price range very well.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Chrisrambo

Re: NorChill Cooler bag vs Engel BackPacl Realtree edition

Post by Chrisrambo »

I am considering buying the engel backpack. Does it leak once the ice melts?
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: NorChill Cooler bag vs Engel BackPacl Realtree edition

Post by TKFStubb »

Chrisrambo wrote:I am considering buying the engel backpack. Does it leak once the ice melts?
Chrisrambo,
No. The ice and/or ice packs are contained in separate removable inner liners that can be lifted out and emptied AND washed separately.