Cheap Milk Crate

Lumberyak

Cheap Milk Crate

Post by Lumberyak »

I was wandering around Atwoods with my son trying to convince him that we don't need anymore chickens when I stumbled across a stack of black milk crates. Haven't seen any for sale before, especially not for 5 bucks. I didn't have a tape measure on me, but they looked like standard size and felt pretty sturdy. Wish I would have found them before I spent $15 on the yak gear crate.

http://www.atwoods.com/home-storage/inc ... -crate.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Cheap Milk Crate

Post by kickingback »

That's a good deal. You can find them cheap sometimes on Craigslist but that is about how much you buy them for there. It is the standard size.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Good find! Suggest that people may want to buy two of them. One to keep whole and the other to cannibalize.

Cut the bottom off of the crate to be cannibalized. Attach this bottom to the top of the whole crate to make a lid using zip ties. Bam - you now have a secure lid! Easy.

And, if you want to raise your new crate (say to get it up and out of any water that may accumulate in your yak) you simple cut off another section from the cannibalized crate and attach it to the bottom of the whole crate with zip ties. I raised mine 2 inches and it made a world of difference. My gear used to stay wet but now it's high and dry. I've also attached rod holders to my crate and have found that raising the crate made it easier to reach my rods and also keeps the reels higher so the surf doesn't get to them as much.
Crate with lid.JPG
Crate raised up.JPG
Didn't mean to hijack your post but thought I'd add a few tips for anyone interested.

Thanks!
Lumberyak

Post by Lumberyak »

Awesome crate mods Drifting. I haven't done anything to mine yet until I figure out how I want to use it. I'm probably going to pick up a couple more of them for doing something similar to your crate. Milk crates are awesome for storing all the lose fishing gear that seems to find its way to the floor in my shed too.
teen yaker

Post by teen yaker »

Before I got a blackpak, I used to get milk crates for free at HEB (behind or on the side of the store). There would be hundreds of them stacked up.They also have different colors to choose from (black, red, Blue, green).
cabajohw

Post by cabajohw »

Most convenience stores have them laying around back by the dumpster :D
FingerMullet

Post by FingerMullet »

Drifting Yak wrote:Good find! Suggest that people may want to buy two of them. One to keep whole and the other to cannibalize.

Cut the bottom off of the crate to be cannibalized. Attach this bottom to the top of the whole crate to make a lid using zip ties. Bam - you now have a secure lid! Easy.

And, if you want to raise your new crate (say to get it up and out of any water that may accumulate in your yak) you simple cut off another section from the cannibalized crate and attach it to the bottom of the whole crate with zip ties. I raised mine 2 inches and it made a world of difference. My gear used to stay wet but now it's high and dry. I've also attached rod holders to my crate and have found that raising the crate made it easier to reach my rods and also keeps the reels higher so the surf doesn't get to them as much.
Crate with lid.JPG
Crate raised up.JPG
Didn't mean to hijack your post but thought I'd add a few tips for anyone interested.

Thanks!
I like your idea on raising the crate.. Mine sits a little low & sometimes hard to reach behind.. Definitely going to cut up my other crate to raise the one on my yak..Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JimBeaux

Post by JimBeaux »

cabajohw wrote:Most convenience stores have them laying around back by the dumpster :D
My local store said that I should ask before liberating anything behind the building that is not in the dumpster. They are generally charged for missing flats & crates. I asked for one and the store gave me three.