Malone trailer wheel size

upthecreek

Malone trailer wheel size

Post by upthecreek »

Hi,

Buying a Malone for 2 kilroys. Great price on Amazon of 998 but it comes with 8 inch wheels would feel better with at least 12 inch wheels. Any thoughts on this ?

Also saw a good deal from local store for 250 more but bigger wheels and assembled and ready to go. Had rather deal with local. Going out to bass pro this weekend as they handle Malone also.

Noticed Malone has 2 saddle setups on for general kayaks more or less and a bit more robust for larger fishing kayaks. Any thoughts on this would be helpful.

thanks in advance and tight lines
Dudley
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Re: Malone trailer wheel size

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

always go with the bigger wheels! and already assembled is a big plus too. you'll spend more later if you decide the smaller wheels aren't working and either upgrade or take a loss on selling it.
upthecreek

Post by upthecreek »

I agree 12 inches for wheels is still small but would never consider smaller.

I may also look at harbor freight to half the price and more all around useful.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I had 12 inch wheels on three different boat trailers and one popup camper. They never gave any trouble for me. It is important to keep the tires near max pressure. A little low is too low. I had 8 inch wheels once for a couple of months. That will never happen again.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Along with getting larger diameter tires, you might have to buy larger fenders
upthecreek

Post by upthecreek »

Got email from Malone dealer and it seems that to go to a 12 inch tire would be another model and approx 3 or 4 hundred dollars.
Rockclimber

Post by Rockclimber »

UpTheCreek- I just bought the basic Malone sport trailer with the 8" wheels from ACK. Assembly was really easy, just followed the directions and I did put plastic covers over all the wiring and cable tied it to the frame to protect it plus siliconed/ heat shrunk around the connections. And I used LockTite for all the frame bolts just to make sure. My plan is to use the 8" wheels for awhile, then replace them with 12" plus larger fenders. You can but the Malone brand for around $130 each wheel, I'm sure there are lots of other places to get wheels as well. I'm taking it to the coast later this month and can let you know how it worked.
Here is a hint for some savings- I saw this thru Dick's with some credit toward shipping. I actually started to order it, put it in the shopping cart, then thought I would think about it for a day or so before completing the order. Within 24 hours I got an email from Dick's offering a 10% discount for the items in cart. As I would rather spend my money with a Texas based business and I like ACK, they will meet competitor's pricing and offer free shipping. Two days after I ordered it, it was on my porch.
Good luck with your trailer.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Walmart frequently has the 5 bolt galvanized trailer wheels in small sizes with tires already mounted on them. I did not pay attention to the prices.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

texnomad wrote:Walmart frequently has the 5 bolt galvanized trailer wheels in small sizes with tires already mounted on them. I did not pay attention to the prices.
I just bought a galvanized 5 bolt 12" wheel and tire at Academy for $85. I didn't see any galvanized wheels at my local Walmart, but they were at $65 for a painted 5-bolt 12" wheel with a tire. Academy was $75 for the same wheel & tire. Tractor Supply is another good place to look.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

The galvanized ones were at the Rockport and Aransas Pass stores in July. I left the area Aug. 1 so I do not know if things have changed or not at those stores.