2015 Hobie Outback DIY Rod holders and dolly

Mulligan

2015 Hobie Outback DIY Rod holders and dolly

Post by Mulligan »

Made about 5 inshore rod holders ($4-5), 2 offshore/larger Rod holders ($0 used left over PVC), 3-Rod holders (~$10?), dolly/cart (~$6 wheels from an old yak cart).

Just the Rod holders itself would've cost about $125-$140. And new cart about $175ish

Used blow torch to soften the PVC to fit it snug into the Rod holders and flared the tips. Other DIYers know you can't get a standard size PVC to fit in the built in Rod holders.

Next project would be to add a second seat for my kid to sit in.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
seaaggie_99

Re: 2015 Hobie Outback DIY Rod holders and dolly

Post by seaaggie_99 »

I have a PA14 and wanted to take my daughter with me so I bought an inexpensive beach chair from Academy and bungee'd it to my back deck. Cost about $10... I sacrificed taking my usual setup (crate, cooler, etc.) but was able to make some arrangements so I had everything I needed with me. Don't know how much room you have on your yak but I'll send you some pictures of my setup if you're interested. I wanted something I could add or remove very easily as they don't go with me very often.
txkidd

Post by txkidd »

Job well done. Very nice and clean looking. I'll be looking forward to see what you come up with for your kids seat. Do you have any plans for it yet?
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

Seaaggie - I would love to see some pics of how you did it. Won't hurt to get more ideas!

txkidd - i thought about the easy way first. See that white cooler I used for standing up the yak? That has a cushion and it fits perfectly behind me. I could probably have him sit on it and straddle it like a saddle. But I feel like that would be too much weight concentrated in that area.

What I thought about was making some type of PVC platform/frame to the front of the yak and maybe find ways to place a folding stadium seat so he can sit and fish. I'd use the two front rod holders for this frame so it stays.

I'm sure I can figure something out :o
txkidd

Post by txkidd »

I'd like to have my son in the front also but I feel like he won't have enough space. I came across this picture on google and really like the idea I might try it outImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

That's a pretty cool idea! I'm sure you can even add few rod holders on that thing. Great find!
Mulligan

Post by Mulligan »

So I rigged this up. It can be used to elevate a cooler so i can use underneath for storage and I can place a folding pad/seat so my kid can sit back there.

The only thing about this setup is that I'm knocking out my two rear rod holders. May need to revise the rig to hold extra rods.

I don't have the painted version yet, but i'm going out this weekend so maybe i can take some pics of it in action.

The front two legs go into the rod holder. The back two legs I placed a rubber cap so it doesn't scratch up the plastic. If I use the smaller cooler, i can possibly fit a cooler and a crate side by side.
Attachments
Yak seat 4.jpg
Yak seat 3.jpg
Yak seat 1.jpg
seaaggie_99

Post by seaaggie_99 »

Mulligan wrote:Seaaggie - I would love to see some pics of how you did it. Won't hurt to get more ideas!

txkidd - i thought about the easy way first. See that white cooler I used for standing up the yak? That has a cushion and it fits perfectly behind me. I could probably have him sit on it and straddle it like a saddle. But I feel like that would be too much weight concentrated in that area.

What I thought about was making some type of PVC platform/frame to the front of the yak and maybe find ways to place a folding stadium seat so he can sit and fish. I'd use the two front rod holders for this frame so it stays.

I'm sure I can figure something out :o

Mulligan - Sorry I completely missed this reply! I'll take some pics of it this evening and post back up... - seaaggie
seaaggie_99

Post by seaaggie_99 »

Okay as I said before, I had to sacrifice on some of the stuff I typically carry on my back deck but in the end it worked out great! $10 beach chair from Academy held on with the stock bungees as well as one additional across the folding point. This was pretty much intended to be a 'transport' position for my rider figuring she'd sit in the main cockpit area with me once we got staked out. She did at first (sitting on the front hatch facing me) but once she got the hang of it she wanted to sit in her seat and do it all by herself...when she and I were hooked up at the same time I realized it works as a fishing position too![img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016101 ... ab3bce.jpg[/img][img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016101 ... b15dba.jpg[/img][img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016101 ... 8bcbe0.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yak-n TX

Post by Yak-n TX »

Nice work here guys! I love seeing the creativity with the PVC... Its great stuff. One thing that might help with fitting the pvc into the flush mounts is to cut a circular saw blade width relief in the pipe. This will allow the pipe to compress enough to fit while still keeping good tension for a snug fit. Nothing wrong with heating it to fit but I found this to be easier by trial and error.