Boone Dox landing gear

dbroken64

Boone Dox landing gear

Post by dbroken64 »

Has any of you had or currently have this cart installed on your kayak and if you do what are your thoughts on it?? I have bought , built several carts in the past and still am not satisfied on any so far. I have a Outback that I am interested in getting the Boonedox landing gear for. Thanks.
WC53

Re: Boone Dox landing gear

Post by WC53 »

If you go over to fish the future, they have a write up on one installed on a solo skiff which is heavier and they seem pleased.
tritonboats

Post by tritonboats »

I have a PA 14 and did install the BooneDox Landing gear on the PA but with the larger sand tires. Not only does it provide a way of transporting your kayak to the launch area, but once on the water, I use a variety of Scotty and YakAttack accessories on the Landing gear structure itself. It was a fairly easy install and great product that is so functional that it will go on my new PA 14 set to arrive in September!!
nschutt

Post by nschutt »

We have a 2015 PA14 and a 2015 PA12. We put Landing Gear with regular tires on both of them. It's so much easier than messing with a cart that you have to take back to your vehicle after you get your yak to the water's edge.

Depending on your model of yak, the placement of the Landing Gear (the fulcrum point) will likely not give you a 50/50 division of weight. Definitely doesn't with a PA. If it did, you could move a PA with one finger. One tip we learned to make rolling our PAs easier with less weight in the hand is to load as much of your heavy gear as possible aft of the Landing Gear for the roll down to the water. Example: ice chest and Mirage Drive both are loaded into the rear cargo area, lightweight items like a pfd can go on top of the gear in the rear or in the seat. Avoid loading gear in the forward hatch or using the cockpit area for gear during rolling. It really does make a difference. Once you get down to the water THEN redistribute your gear wherever you want, raise the wheels, lock them in place, and shove off.
molsmard

Post by molsmard »

If your PA is an earlier model (pre H-Rail) and you want to install the Boonedox Landing Gear directly behind the seat, like you see on most youtube videos, you will need to get the H-Rail b/c the mount tube will not fit under the older model's rail.
molsmard

Post by molsmard »

Correction... Get the H-Rail OR, the less expensive option, get 2 Boonedox "Lifter Kits" made for pre 2015 model's.
molsmard

Post by molsmard »

Update after 18 months use on a PA14: 1.) The carriage bolts on the wheels rusted. Changed them out with stainless. 2.) When putting in, the hard wheels work great on hard surfaces. Extraction is difficult, but not impossible when the edge in the water (and under the water) is soft dirt or loose gravel. 3.) The screws designed to hold the wheels in the tube when not in use are unnecessary. I called the company and they told me not to bother with them (toss ‘em). In fact, they said they are not going to include these in future models.