need wall rack help

StrykerDM

need wall rack help

Post by StrykerDM »

Hey all,
I have a Jackson cuda 12 and am in need of a good way to mount it on the wall in my garage to get it out of the way. With the way the studs are situated I can put a rack 48in apart or 64in apart. Right now I bought a malon j-dock hybrid and placed them at 64in apart but they appear to be causing small dents in the side of my yak with the heat and all. Has anybody tried the suspenz ez rack system? I called jackson and one of their guys suggested putting a hanging strap in the middle to offload some weight. Or maybe I can pad the malone jdock hybrid enough so it won't matter. Any ideas would be helpful.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: need wall rack help

Post by kickingback »

Most studs are set 16" apart. Weird distancing between yours.

You could add a large piece of foam to go between kayak and bands holding it up. I would use at least 2" foam but 3" or 4" is better. Let the band put the pressure on the foam instead of the yak.
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

I might try that. I'll go see what kind of foam Home Depot has after work and try to pad the hard plastic base of the j-dock hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

Ideally the brackets should be split approximately 1/3 of your hull's length apart. If the wall stud spacing won't accommodate that, space them properly on a pair of 1X4s (one across the bottoms of the brackets and one across the tops), and anchor the 1X4s to the studs.
jokernino21

Post by jokernino21 »

I use Rachet straps. Cut them to size and a grommet making kit (to make holes like the ones on tarps) and a couple carabiners and your done! Very cost effective!
Attachments
image.png
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

I like the ratchet strap idea.

I recently modified my Malone wall rack by adding a bunch of closed call foam from pipe insulation and that seems to have done the trick. It distributes the weight much more evenly over the entire side rather than resting on a single point and seems to have fixed the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikerox

Post by mikerox »

I know this is a late post, but maybe the info will help someone. First off, use 2x4 or plywood horizontal to the studs and place your straps or hooks on that to get the proper spacing. I believe 4'10" is ideal for 12' kayak. You can fudge that measurement based on what looks like an ideal spot on kayak for the straps to touch.

As for straps, I use the Sea to Summit Aquaslings. They are easy to use and plenty of padding. I flip kayaks once a month (bow face front of garage on odd months and face back on even months) to prevent any dents. Hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007N ... UTF8&psc=1