Pretty exciting ICAST 2016

Salaqua

Pretty exciting ICAST 2016

Post by Salaqua »

I have been checking out the vlogs on ICAST 2016 and it looks like there will be plenty of new options. Earlier this summer, I had my sights narrowed to a couple of kayaks to buy and I am pretty glad that I waited seeing what will be offered soon. Old Town with a peddle system, the 180 on the Hobie Mirage, peddled Wilderness Systems, and even the FeelFree Lure with a peddle AND motorized system in one.
TxSpeedster

Re: Pretty exciting ICAST 2016

Post by TxSpeedster »

There is a lot of interest in pedal powered and motorized kayaks by those looking to take up the sport.

The Feel Free Overdrive combination system is different.
oarfish

Post by oarfish »

Salaqua wrote:I have been checking out the vlogs on ICAST 2016 and it looks like there will be plenty of new options. Earlier this summer, I had my sights narrowed to a couple of kayaks to buy and I am pretty glad that I waited seeing what will be offered soon. Old Town with a peddle system, the 180 on the Hobie Mirage, peddled Wilderness Systems, and even the FeelFree Lure with a peddle AND motorized system in one.
I bet you're glad you waited now aren't ya.

Happy to see that Hobie finally has a reverse. Definately a game changer in Hobie's favor. In '07 I bought a Revo. Had to have it. That lasted about 6 months. Never did like the seat. Now though the entire line up has changed for the better.

Wilderness' new pedal drive is on a long sliding shaft. It looks less cumbersome then Native's pedal drive. Take a look at their new Radar yak. You can use both the pedal drive and their Helix electric motor. A different hull opening for each of them.

I haven't seen Old Town's or Feel Free's pedal drives yet.

Native will now have to step up their game. They once had the market with reverse, but no longer. The other's have no only caught up, but listened to us fishermen and capitalized.

I too am waiting for the air to clear.
oarfish

Post by oarfish »

Another option might be Jackson's Coosa FD coming out next year. The pedal drive pulls up under and inside a hull scupper.

http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/2016/08/04 ... pressions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Salaqua

Post by Salaqua »

So many new peddle drive systems really opens the market. If I had to choose today, I would go with the FeelFree. It is the same yak as before and you simply add a peddle drive.

However, I have noticed that I am not going hours away on the water at this time and much of the water I am in is on the skinny. I may still go with a Big Rig and wait a couple of years to let all this new stuff work out the wrinkles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Warhawk

Post by Warhawk »

It wasn't at ICast, but have you seen the new Jackson Tupelo LT? My wife has a Tupelo 12.5 and it's a great boat. It's very fast, has just enough stability and fishing features to use as a fishing rig.

The new Tupelo LT is a thermo formed boat, weighing in at 35 pounds! My bad back would love one.
Karyuu

Post by Karyuu »

Salaqua wrote:So many new peddle drive systems really opens the market. If I had to choose today, I would go with the FeelFree. It is the same yak as before and you simply add a peddle drive.

However, I have noticed that I am not going hours away on the water at this time and much of the water I am in is on the skinny. I may still go with a Big Rig and wait a couple of years to let all this new stuff work out the wrinkles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
I rented the Big Rig from the Cuero Jackson dealer and found that boat to be just too big and too stable. It became a pain paddling it during 10 mph wind. The addition weight was also a pain.

It would be a great yak to use going down the Devil's river or some lake fishing, but I just don't find it as good as an option for inshore fishing.