Fishfinder rigging | DI v 2D sonar

texag08

Fishfinder rigging | DI v 2D sonar

Post by texag08 »

Torn between a Hummingbird conventional sonar unit with a scupper compatible transducer and a Lowrance Down Imaging unit with their scupper mounting bracket on my OC Trident 13. Down imaging seems to be a lot easier to read, but would like to hear the pros and cons of traditional sonar vs DI.

I fish lakes, rivers, and coastal flats. Plan on going BTB in the next six months, so need something versatile.

Any recommendations?
onebaddj

Re: Fishfinder rigging | DI v 2D sonar

Post by onebaddj »

The Lawrence elite 4 dsi is an awesome unit and the perfect size for a kayak. It is an easy unit to use and can take snapshots of the screen while in use then you can put the memory card in the phone and send the pics to your buddies to share. The scupper hole transducer mount was very easy to install and on my Malibu x13 the transducer sits tucked up in one of the grooves nicely out of the way. The image of trees and cover is very impressive. I can easyly see trees and branches with fish suspended around it. I ran over a tree that had fallen on some rocks and you could clearly see the 2. For $350 its an awesome deal. I used to run all the ray marine HD fish finder on my boats down in the gulf and the lowrance unit has a lot better pic of what's below.
FJCruisin

Post by FJCruisin »

DI is good for finding structure, but traditional sonar is better for locating fish. I have a Humminbird 587 with GPS, Sonar, and DI that I bought from Academy during a two day sale for $399. I typically use the traditional sonar with a split screen of the map too. Then the DI when I am searching for new structure.
texag08

Post by texag08 »

FJCruisin wrote:DI is good for finding structure, but traditional sonar is better for locating fish. I have a Humminbird 587 with GPS, Sonar, and DI that I bought from Academy during a two day sale for $399. I typically use the traditional sonar with a split screen of the map too. Then the DI when I am searching for new structure.

I know lowrance has a mount which makes putting their DI transducer directly in the water possible. I'm not sure if Hummingbird has something similar other than their inside-the-hull mounting kit: http://store.humminbird.com/products/488353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. But, I like that fact that Hummingbird unit include DI and 2D in one unit.

How do you connect a Hummingbird DI unit without using the in-hull kit?