Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160 hull failure

Chunk&Wind

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160 hull failure

Post by Chunk&Wind »

Found this a few weeks ago after a great outing on the water. After hand washing, I was starting to apply a coat of 303 and noticed a crack in the hull where the bolt passes though the hull to connect the phase 3 seat to the kayak. Keep in mind this boat is not even three years old yet.

I tried contacting Wilderness through their website with no response. I called FTU and Trent was quick to take my information and he passed it along to Confluence who were quick to reply with "They will not warranty the kayak" FTU was eager to help offer ideas on how to fix the problem but I think I could handle fixing it on my own since the manufacturer won't lift a finger to help.

Just a heads up!

Look for this to be a problem area on your kayak!
Look for Confluence (Wilderness Systems) not to stand by their warranty!
Look for ways to keep this from happening to you!
Look for a kayak other than Wilderness Systems!
photo(7).JPG
photo(7).JPG (30.29 KiB) Viewed 4443 times
photo(5).JPG
J.McDonald Knives

Re: Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160 hull failure

Post by J.McDonald Knives »

If you know how to plastic weld, you can fix it since they won't warranty it.
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

We have a LOT of WS pro staffers on this board, try talking to them about getting some from Wildy on it. From the photos, it looks like a structural flaw and they should at least pro-rate the damage.
pjstevko

Post by pjstevko »

I had a very similar thing happen to my 2010 tarpon....... Check out this thread
http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/commun ... hp?t=86155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good luck with your issue

Needless to say I'm now the proud owner of a 2013 Jackson Cuda 12
pjstevko

Post by pjstevko »

I had a similar issue with my 2010 tarpon.... Check out this thread

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/commun ... hp?t=86155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chunk&Wind

Post by Chunk&Wind »

pjstevko wrote:I had a very similar thing happen to my 2010 tarpon....... Check out this thread

I think I may have to join the above mentioned site and express my concern there too.

It is obvious there is a design flaw here and Wilderness should have stepped up in both our cases?

Anyone else had this problem? Maybe I should have posted this in a different forum?
mlyle

Post by mlyle »

Has anyone had this problem with the Ride series? I was hoping to get a used R135 but this scares me
pjstevko

Post by pjstevko »

mlyle wrote:Has anyone had this problem with the Ride series? I was hoping to get a used R135 but this scares me
DO NOT BUY USED!
If you buy used they will definitely NOT stand by the warranty. The customer service rep I spoke to about my2 issues said if I was the original owner then they would have given me a new boat but since I bought used they didn't really owe me anything.... That's the reason I bought a NEW kayak after my whole debacle just I was guaranteed a warranty
pjstevko

Post by pjstevko »

I'll send you a pm in the am with a few contact numbers of a few different customer service people for WS so you can talk to someone from within the company. Maybe since you're the original owner you'll get better treatment than I did
pjstevko

Post by pjstevko »

You have a pm
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Roofish »

I got my Rides, 4 of them now.

& I had the same problem, however I went to ACK & was given the Best Customer Service Ever & WS replaced my kayak :)

Maybe you should start where you bought it ??????
pjstevko

Post by pjstevko »

Roofish wrote:I got my Rides, 4 of them now.

& I had the same problem, however I went to ACK & was given the Best Customer Service Ever & WS replaced my kayak :)

Maybe you should start where you bought it ??????
How old were your orginal Rides? Do you have any pics, would you be willing to post them, of the failures or stress cracks?

I'm beginning to think this is a design flaw and there are more people out there who have had the same issue.....
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Roofish »

I've owned these yr model Rides, 2008 replaced with 2009 because of this problem. I now own a 2012 & a 2013.

Don't have any pics of problem. I was well taken care of though by ACK & WS.

I will own more, Good Lord willing :)

Only thing I can say about design flaws is that a seemingly perfectly good Space Shuttle slammed into to the ground...

As with any man-made product, anything can have problems...
hickoxp

Post by hickoxp »

mlyle wrote:Has anyone had this problem with the Ride series? I was hoping to get a used R135 but this scares me

I have 2x 2012 135s. If anyone can find/expose/create a structural flaw on those boats it would be me. My avatar is a pic of me at a younger age...

The seat fender buttons used to hold the lower pad to the frame were weak and I replaced them with the next size larger automotive version and thats been not a problem since.

Check the screws often they seem to like working themselves loose. Part of my after trip cleanup/inspection anyway.
Jedi
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Jedi »

I have a 2009 Tarpon 160 and have not had that issue.
Wilderness Systems

Post by Wilderness Systems »

Hi Chunk&Wind,

We're very sorry you have had this issue with your kayak. While we pride ourselves on the quality of our products, we understand that there are a number of factors, whether it be a rare issue in the manufacturing process, or wear-and-tear from the owner, or your occasional random act of nature, that can affect the integrity of any particular boat. That is why we have crafted a very workable and reasonable warranty and why we partner with the best dealers in the industry. We work together with these amazingly accommodating dealers to try to repair or replace as many claims as possible because we believe in not only standing by our products, but standing by our paddlers as well. Confluence has what is considered one of the best (and more lenient) warranties in the outdoor industry, but like almost every other manufacturer, our warranty is non-transferrable.

We absolutely do stand by our warranty and the conditions of that warranty reside with the kayak's original owner. In user pjstevko's case, we even went beyond what we stated in our warranty and helped with the cost of repairs to his kayak, even though his kayak was used. As I stated earlier, we will do what we can to stand by our paddlers. In your case, Chunk&Wind, we want you out on the water, we want you fishing, and we really want you to enjoy the boat that we have designed. So if you will send us a private message, we would be happy to review repair options for your boat as well.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks, and happy paddling everyone.
NastyNate

Post by NastyNate »

^^^That's legit

-NastyNate
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

Way to step up Wildy! Makes me feel that much better about the T120 I just bought for my wife from FTU.
mlyle

Post by mlyle »

Thats good PR if I have ever seen it, way to go Wilderness Systems.
Kingz
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Kingz »

mlyle wrote:Thats good PR if I have ever seen it, way to go Wilderness Systems.
Didnt we have a PM exchange regarding this?
mlyle

Post by mlyle »

Kingz wrote:
Yes sir we did! Im very glad I took your advice and still got a WS Ride 135. I love it!
Kingz
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Kingz »

mlyle wrote:
Kingz wrote:
Yes sir we did! Im very glad I took your advice and still got a WS Ride 135. I love it!
Enjoy
Pokey Pogie

Post by Pokey Pogie »

Wilderness Systems wrote:Hi Chunk&Wind,

We're very sorry you have had this issue with your kayak. While we pride ourselves on the quality of our products, we understand that there are a number of factors, whether it be a rare issue in the manufacturing process, or wear-and-tear from the owner, or your occasional random act of nature, that can affect the integrity of any particular boat. That is why we have crafted a very workable and reasonable warranty and why we partner with the best dealers in the industry. We work together with these amazingly accommodating dealers to try to repair or replace as many claims as possible because we believe in not only standing by our products, but standing by our paddlers as well. Confluence has what is considered one of the best (and more lenient) warranties in the outdoor industry, but like almost every other manufacturer, our warranty is non-transferrable.

We absolutely do stand by our warranty and the conditions of that warranty reside with the kayak's original owner. In user pjstevko's case, we even went beyond what we stated in our warranty and helped with the cost of repairs to his kayak, even though his kayak was used. As I stated earlier, we will do what we can to stand by our paddlers. In your case, Chunk&Wind, we want you out on the water, we want you fishing, and we really want you to enjoy the boat that we have designed. So if you will send us a private message, we would be happy to review repair options for your boat as well.

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks, and happy paddling everyone.
Way to step up!
:clap:
Mellow-Yellow

Post by Mellow-Yellow »

Outstanding customer service! :clap:
Chunk&Wind

Post by Chunk&Wind »

mellow-yellow-xt wrote:Outstanding customer service! :clap:
More like Outstanding LIP service.

It has been three weeks since WS posted and PM'd me. I sent them a PM and left my phone number for the customer service rep on request. I have yet to hear anything else from them. I also have noticed that my last PM to them has not even been read. I also notice that the WS post here was the first on this forum.

I think they know they have a problem and are just trying to cover it up.

Keep looking for new posts from me on this site and others....I think my next one will be a video of me taking my new Stihl chainsaw to my WS 160.