Kayak Light?

Kasey

Kayak Light?

Post by Kasey »

I never been on my yak at night, but want to try it. Does anyone know of a good quality yak light? Also, does anyone know whats required so the game warden wont mess with me? Any info would be really be appreciated, Thanx!
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Re: Kayak Light?

Post by RedWolf »

Visipole availble for $55 or Visi Carbon Pro $80 both in stock at FTU on Gulf Frwy at Fuqua, stay away from the Scotty Sea Light, a hamster running on a wheel can generate more light than that thing produces.

Main items required on a watercraft:
Signaling device--whistle or airhorn, a CD works good also but is not a substitute for an audible device, use the reflective side to catch the sun to signal others near you.
PFD--Must be easily accessible, not stored in a hatch. If using an inflatble, it MUST BE WORN to count as a PFD
Light (if fishing at night)
and a basic first aid kit

I usually have a LED light in the yak also, either a clip on attached to my hat or one that straps around the head. There is other safety equipment also, but that covers the basics.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I've been using the Tektite Mark III - 2 LED (same light on the Visicarbon pole) since 2006. With the exception of changing batteries the original LEDs still going. It's a great light that's very bright. You can purchase the light separately and stick it in a PVC pipe. Just remember to make the light is over your head and is the highest point.

I also carry a LED flashlight and am wearing a headlamp so that I have a more direct beam of light to signal boaters.
AlanC
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AlanC »

Neumie wrote:I've been using the Tektite Mark III - 2 LED (same light on the Visicarbon pole) since 2006. With the exception of changing batteries the original LEDs still going. It's a great light that's very bright. You can purchase the light separately and stick it in a PVC pipe. Just remember to make the light is over your head and is the highest point.

I also carry a LED flashlight and am wearing a headlamp so that I have a more direct beam of light to signal boaters.
That last bit can prove to be important!!
DubyaG

Post by DubyaG »

Stick a big light inside the yak and watch that baby light up like a glow-worm on the water.
YakAggie

Post by YakAggie »

I use the VisiPole
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

Although I made my own PVC light baptised the SunnyD'Light v2.0; the last trip to the Galveston Causeway the visicarbon pro was the second brightest fishing light on the water that night.

It could not compete with the SunnyD'Light v2.0 brightness of 180 lumens :D , but if I had to purchase one that would be the one I would get.

In the video below you will see the brightness of several that were used that night. The visicarbon pro are the long 6 inch lights with the flag that you see there.

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I bought the Tektite diffuser for all my lights and it greatly helped create more contrast over the clear lens.
Tx_KayakFishing

Post by Tx_KayakFishing »

Bought a Scotty flush mount sea light because I had to have one & needed it cheap. If I got to do it over I'd just buy the visi carbon pro. Going to buy one & use the sea light attached to my PDF for emergencies.
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

This is the Visipole attached to side of yak, the bright flash is just the sun off the reflective tape, add the light in with it and it makes a very bright light.
Attachments
Notice bright flash on side of yak
Notice bright flash on side of yak
limon2.jpg (35.71 KiB) Viewed 2643 times
dbrown2

Post by dbrown2 »

Have not tried this myself. But I am thinking about it.

http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.co ... chive.html
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

dbrown2 wrote:Have not tried this myself. But I am thinking about it.

http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.co ... chive.html
I like his designs, but I hate to buy AA batteries and to switch them in the middle of fishing when they go off after 3-4 hours of running. Just be aware that you might have to re-stock on batteries and that could cost a bunch after a while, unless you use rechargeable batteries that is.
onebaddj

Post by onebaddj »

I had a 6 ft light from one of my boats I had. I took the 12 volt light off the end and stuck a 2 aa mag lite in the end with a empty pill bottle on the end. I stick it in a rod holder on the milk crate to hold it verticle. Can be see for a long way. I also have the led fishing lights on the front. Between the 2 I can be seen from all directions very well.
Poolio

Post by Poolio »

The video above brings up a good point. Make sure the light on your yak is taller than you are. Having a light that can hide behind your head is not only illegal, but unsafe. PBs are absolutely not looking for us at night, so a big shiny light is a must! Stay safe out there folks, and have fun.

-Poo
FJCruisin

Post by FJCruisin »

Yakattack Visicarbon and Supernova Fishing Lights are what a bunch of us in central Texas are using for night bassin.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1364183520742.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1364183520742.jpg (27.61 KiB) Viewed 2298 times
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

Does it make that Star Wars Light Saber sound when you swing it around? It must be quite a site to see 3 or 4 of them moving around on a lake at night.
FJCruisin

Post by FJCruisin »

Fargo wrote:Does it make that Star Wars Light Saber sound when you swing it around? It must be quite a site to see 3 or 4 of them moving around on a lake at night.
No, but that would be cool! I may need to hook up a speaker now.

Myself and another AKF'er will be directing the annual "Dusk till Dawn" tournament on Bastrop again this summer. Its always a fun tournament and a good turnout too. There will be several guys with Supernova lights and I may try to get them to sponsor too. I will be posting here when we schedule it, usually in July.