Rudder

Mjmfc1013

Rudder

Post by Mjmfc1013 »

Is it possible to install a rudder on a kayak with molded foot wells? Like an ocean kayak scrambler?
hickoxp

Re: Rudder

Post by hickoxp »

Not seeing one by the manufacturer or any after market offerings.

From what I can see the back end of that boat looks like a rudder was not an option. I would think it would ruin your boat to southern engineer one on there.

just my 2 copper clad zinc filled pennies worth.
Old Skool Hookers
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Old Skool Hookers »

I've seen them done and they function really nice. Just takes some good ole ingenuity rigging and anything is possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZNOS3ZxEW0&list=UL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV7C1y1ONkg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The foot controls can be purchased from ACK (make sure to use dicount). You will have to modify everything. Just take your time when cutting things.

Google search can be your best friend. :D
hickoxp

Post by hickoxp »

A fixed rudder is not much more then a skeg. To each his own.
Old Skool Hookers
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Old Skool Hookers »

hickoxp wrote:A fixed rudder is not much more then a skeg. To each his own.
You're right but to each his own :wink: if you use a little thought (and I've seen it done personally) you could rig it up. That's why I also stated ACK sells the foot controls. The sites were to give the OP a little insight.

DIY can't be scared.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

You can do anything if you want to and don't mind tinkering. After it is built, you can improve it and make it look better. You just have to start someplace.

This mod to my Lime Manta has a long way to go to look good...but...it functions just fine for my purposes....adjusting the drift when fishing a shoreline. If I wanted to add peddles.... it wouldn't be all that hard. Rich

hickoxp

Post by hickoxp »

Rich nice rig.

I would like to see it as you do modifications.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

"I would like to see it as you do modifications."

I won't be using the Manta much anymore. I just bought a Ride 115 and it is now my main rig.

The Manta stays at home on my pond. It will be used by my grandson(s) when we try to catch some bass here. Rich

p.s. If I had had access to some more aluminum, I would have made the blade out of it, instead of a Walmart cutting board.