Duct Seal for Transducer

mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Duct Seal for Transducer

Post by mpg2yahoo »

I used marine goop and a sponge to attach my transducer, but it recently came off. I'm going to try duct seal, but here is a quick question before I go ahead and use it.

Is it important to leave an opening on top like I seen people doing or would it be ok to cover the whole thing up like a half ball stuck to the hull?

In other words, if I cover the whole transducer with the duct seal compound would I have problems with readings on temperature or sonar?

Thanks.

Manny
tbeak

Re: Duct Seal for Transducer

Post by tbeak »

I know there are people that recommend it but i havent had luck with it. Maybe i was doing something wrong, but the Trans would not give me a reading with it. I made the little well with it and made it thinner on the bottom but still made solid contact to the bottom of my yak. then packed it in on top to keep it secure. i used silicone and it works perfect. just my .02
grizz

Post by grizz »

I would think you would be fine enclosing it as long as you put some water in it before you seal it up. I just pulled some of the duct seal over the top of my transducer and it it has stayed in place with no problems. I just scoop a little water in with it at the ramp and it works great. I forgot the water a couple of times and my FF gave me crazy readings until I put the water in it. Mine is pretty ugly, but it works.

firefighter58

Post by firefighter58 »

I used duct seal to place a pvc coupling to fit my transducer. I sealed the bottom of the pvc to make it water tight. When I go out, I just fill the PVC with water and the transducer works great. Any mount that is in the hull is going to take awhile to get the accurate temparture reading.
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

grizz wrote:I would think you would be fine enclosing it as long as you put some water in it before you seal it up. I just pulled some of the duct seal over the top of my transducer and it it has stayed in place with no problems. I just scoop a little water in with it at the ramp and it works great. I forgot the water a couple of times and my FF gave me crazy readings until I put the water in it. Mine is pretty ugly, but it works.

I went to seabrook flats to test the duct seal but it fail to give depth readings. I saw a person making a bed of duct seal and place the transducer on top, then surround it with more duct seal. I still have to test if this will work this weekend. Last try would be to use the water trick.

I used marine goop last time which is similar to the Silicone, but I like the hard grip of the duct seal. Hope it works!
mpg2yahoo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by mpg2yahoo »

mpg2yahoo wrote:
grizz wrote:
I went to seabrook flats to test the duct seal but it fail to give depth readings. I saw a person making a bed of duct seal and place the transducer on top, then surround it with more duct seal. I still have to test if this will work this weekend. Last try would be to use the water trick.

I used marine goop last time which is similar to the Silicone, but I like the hard grip of the duct seal. Hope it works!
Went to seabrook tidal tubes today to test the 2nd trial with duct seal. By making a bed of duct seal to place the transducer on top the ff work like a charm!

Was surprise of how deep are the holes down there. My kid 7 y/o caught two croakers and I caught a gafftop and a sand trout before the rain caught us in the middle of fishing. So we spend 1 1/2 hours before calling it quits.
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

mpg2yahoo wrote:
mpg2yahoo wrote:
grizz wrote:

Went to seabrook tidal tubes today to test the 2nd trial with duct seal. By making a bed of duct seal to place the transducer on top the ff work like a charm!

Was surprise of how deep are the holes down there. My kid 7 y/o caught two croakers and I caught a gafftop and a sand trout before the rain caught us in the middle of fishing. So we spend 1 1/2 hours before calling it quits.
And over 6 years later, I have a question :) So you used duct seal and you made like a 1/8 to 1/4" bed of it in the bottom/inside of your kayak directly on the PE hull. Then stuck the transducer to it, then built some duct seal up around the transducer and didn't use any water and it worked just fine? I'm trying to forgo using water if at all possible.

Thanks,
Roy
kneekap

Post by kneekap »

I used it and it seems to work fine. Pretty thick stuff. I put on a plug and smoothed it. Then I put continuous pressure on the transducer to eliminate air and get it down as close as possible to the hull.
You could remove the transducer a lot easier than Goop if you get a new unit.
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

kneekap wrote:I used it and it seems to work fine. Pretty thick stuff. I put on a plug and smoothed it. Then I put continuous pressure on the transducer to eliminate air and get it down as close as possible to the hull.
You could remove the transducer a lot easier than Goop if you get a new unit.
Great thank you for the reply. Curious how you apply "continuous" pressure on the transducer. Can you share how you do this?

Thanks,
Roy