mounting a fishfinder to foot peg rails

sleepyTX

mounting a fishfinder to foot peg rails

Post by sleepyTX »

I recently got a BigTuna and I am trying to figure a way of mounting a fishfinder to the foot peg rails that the Tun has plenty of. I have some fiberglass plates that I can cut to slide along the track. Any ideas??

Also can anyone come up with a use for 4" x 12" x 1/8" very stiff fiberglass plates?
Sc0

Re: mounting a fishfinder to foot peg rails

Post by Sc0 »

I had a similar idea for my Cuda EXCEPT the Cuda rails have a taper to them, a 1" difference between the front and rear. The idea was to use the Yak-Daddy Mini-slide, chopped and modified, to sort of act like a Malibu X-wing design, the idea was tossed after measuring and finding out about the taper. (Too much work.) The idea was to remove the rudder slider rails from the hull and put the drilled plate in place and bolt the sliders back on, the rest could be fabricated with aluminum, rivets, or epoxy and fiberglass... If you have access to the inside of the slider rails you can use your plate as a mounting platform and fabricate the rest, just leave enough room for your feet.

I have a newer idea for the Cuda and have some carbon-fiber plate and tubing on order.
Incidentally I was looking at the same dimension fiberglass and carbon fiber plate a week ago and chose cf.
The Fatman

Post by The Fatman »

I will be in the same boat as SleepyTX soon. (not literally, but it is his fault). I too would be curious to see some ideas. I looked at the Lowrance scupper mounts, and the cuda scupper mount on this forum. Just looking for something that can go from solo to tandem with the boat configuration changes.

Also... is a group of 2 or more Tuna technically a "Herd" ?
Cudadude

Post by Cudadude »

sleepyTX wrote:I recently got a BigTuna and I am trying to figure a way of mounting a fishfinder to the foot peg rails that the Tun has plenty of. I have some fiberglass plates that I can cut to slide along the track. Any ideas??

Also can anyone come up with a use for 4" x 12" x 1/8" very stiff fiberglass plates?

I’m not 100% sure of where you’re mounting the fish finder to the rail, so correct me if I’m wrong. If you mounted it to the rail it will effect changing over from tandem to solo wouldn’t it?
jester1542

Post by jester1542 »

The Fatman wrote:I will be in the same boat as SleepyTX soon. (not literally, but it is his fault). I too would be curious to see some ideas. I looked at the Lowrance scupper mounts, and the cuda scupper mount on this forum. Just looking for something that can go from solo to tandem with the boat configuration changes.

Also... is a group of 2 or more Tuna technically a "Herd" ?
I posted a set of picts in the forum about a week ago showing the installation of my lowerance transducer in a coosa scupper hole. Wasnt hard and the transducer wont drag. There was enough cable that you could mount it in one of the front or rear scupper holes and still reach where ever the FF is. Biggest problem will probably keeping the cabling neat and out of the way as you reposition everything. You might look at mounting the transducer and FF to a piece of PVC pipe you could move to different places. The PVC would allow extend over the side and put the transducer in the water and make for a removable system.
The Fatman

Post by The Fatman »

I saw your post. Nice job btw, but I think I am shooting for being able to move the whole deal.

We had discussed portable clamp on units, portable units with normal transducers, and normal units. The problem lies in the mobility. Cable on the deck and I garauntee a kid or dad trips into the river :shock:
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

The original idea I had was to find a way to rig a way to mount a Ram extension to one of the tracks the foot pegs slide along. I was going to cut the fiberglass panels into strips that would slide in the tracks.
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

This is my set up on my Hobie REVO ..... just set up my Torque where I can move it over whenever I want .. gonna post up soon with it's riggin .. :D

I have an older RayMarine color FF also that I may just mount in the Hobie permanently and keep the Lowrance as a portable .. I like this set up a lot ... 8)