Fish finder question

Texas80

Fish finder question

Post by Texas80 »

I'm looking at installing a fish/depth finder in my yak, whats a good inexpensive , dependable fish finder for a yak, and what kind of battery is everyone using ? I've looked at a Garmin and a humming bird .
basscowboy1986

Re: Fish finder question

Post by basscowboy1986 »

I use the lowrance 4x dsi unit. Bout 160ish or so. Great unit love down scan and I use a 12v deer feeder battery, one charge lasts 4-5 trips to the lake. All told I did the whole thing, rigging and all for less than 200.
spectackler1

Post by spectackler1 »

X2 on the lowrance unit. I'm using the radioshack 8AA battery holder. I've been out 4 times without changing the batteries. I do turn the unit off when anchored, but it has exceeded my expectations on run time. :dance:
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I have been using a Humminbird 170 ($99 at Academy, every day price) with a radio shack 8AA batt. holder. Have used rechargeable batts. and reg.

I an happy with it but the only knock I have with the Humminbird 170 is it only gives depth in round ft. numbers.......ie 14 ft, 15 ft etc.......no 14.4 or 14.8 ......you get the picture.

I think I would prefer to have the inches between the round numbers increments shown.
oarfish

Post by oarfish »

Mythman wrote:I have been using a Humminbird 170 ($99 at Academy, every day price) with a radio shack 8AA batt. holder. Have used rechargeable batts. and reg.

I an happy with it but the only knock I have with the Humminbird 170 is it only gives depth in round ft. numbers.......ie 14 ft, 15 ft etc.......no 14.4 or 14.8 ......you get the picture.

I think I would prefer to have the inches between the round numbers increments shown.
Geez, what do ya want for $99? Maybe it should wash off your yak too at the end of the day? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a Pmax 160 with the same battery set up and feel the same way as you. But, you get what you pay for. I'm happy.

Hey Texas80, if you have an Ocean Kayak with a transducer compatible scupper go with the Humminbird. You can trade in the transducer for a scupper compatible one for free. Contact Humminbird.
Texas80

Post by Texas80 »

Thanks guys for all the info.....now for the hard part...........talking the wife into it! :lol:
pearow

Post by pearow »

a related question: How do you know whether or not the transducer can be mounted inside the yak, shooting thru the hull? I have an old Eagle ultraview and am tired of having to deal with the external mounting/unmounting of the transducer-p-
BigDozer66

Post by BigDozer66 »

oarfish wrote:
Mythman wrote:I have been using a Humminbird 170 ($99 at Academy, every day price) with a radio shack 8AA batt. holder. Have used rechargeable batts. and reg.

Geez, what do ya want for $99? Maybe it should wash off your yak too at the end of the day? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a Pmax 160 with the same battery set up and feel the same way as you. But, you get what you pay for. I'm happy.

Hey Texas80, if you have an Ocean Kayak with a transducer compatible scupper go with the Humminbird. You can trade in the transducer for a scupper compatible one for free. Contact Humminbird.
I wonder if they have an OK compatible one for the Down Imaging models? :?:

I was considering the 587? model so I guess I will contact Hummingbird to see.

BigDozer66
Tide-N-TX

Post by Tide-N-TX »

Texas80 wrote:Thanks guys for all the info.....now for the hard part...........talking the wife into it! :lol:

I know I have to consider myself lucky ... after the wife and I being out at the DFW GTG this weekend, she TOLD ME I need to get a fish finder for my yak!!!
BigDozer66

Post by BigDozer66 »

Tide-N-TX wrote:
Texas80 wrote:Thanks guys for all the info.....now for the hard part...........talking the wife into it! :lol:

I know I have to consider myself lucky ... after the wife and I being out at the DFW GTG this weekend, she TOLD ME I need to get a fish finder for my yak!!!
Very nice! :clap:

BigDozer66
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

One thing to consider before buying a Fish Finder is what you EXPECT it to do and then how well you want it to do it. Size of display, temp, batt voltage, etc. The more a FF does the more it costs and the more power it will need to do it.

I have the Cuda 250 s/map, GPS/FF combo and I also have the Cuda 68 ( I think is the number) and the heads can be interchanged because they use the same power plugs and transducers. Bought the cheaper unit and then upgraded to the GPS/FF combo. One transducer is mounted inside my hull on my fishing boat and the other is portable to take when I paddle other boats. Just my way of multitasking my gear.
oarfish

Post by oarfish »

Tide-N-TX wrote:

Does she have a sister?
oarfish

Post by oarfish »

pearow wrote:a related question: How do you know whether or not the transducer can be mounted inside the yak, shooting thru the hull? I have an old Eagle ultraview and am tired of having to deal with the external mounting/unmounting of the transducer-p-
Can you post a pic of it? If not, does it look like most of today's transducers?

You could GOOP it to the inside of the hull and in a day or two take her out to see if you get a reading. Chances are you will....or not. :lol: