Tackle arrangement

dbroken64

Tackle arrangement

Post by dbroken64 »

Hey Yall!!
I have read alot of post on what to buy to outfit your kayak for fishing but I need to know just what and how you carry your fishing tackle and how much you bring with you on a day trip?
t100

Re: Tackle arrangement

Post by t100 »

I use the Plano waterproof tackle trays. I don't own a lot of tackle, so all of it goes.... Good thing about the waterproof boxes, they float! I had a sumurgerged stump that I didn't see grab my yak and I fell out, so all three of my boxes were floating. Had time to get back in my yak and recover my boxes.
dbroken64

Post by dbroken64 »

t100 wrote:I use the Plano waterproof tackle trays. I don't own a lot of tackle, so all of it goes.... Good thing about the waterproof boxes, they float! I had a sumurgerged stump that I didn't see grab my yak and I fell out, so all three of my boxes were floating. Had time to get back in my yak and recover my boxes.
Ha!! Yeah I can see where that would get you wet. Thanks for the info. I am just used to fishing in a big boat and hard for me to downsize to kayak size tackle. I will get the hang of it though.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Amazing how little tackle I now take. On my PBs, one or two big tackle bags did the trick, along with two or three rods and reels.

On my little ten foot yak, one rod, and the contents of one coffee can (fits into a molded drink holder in front off me) has allowed me to catch more fish in two weeks than I did all summer.

In the coffee can, I have about 8 or 10 lures; soft plastics; jigheads; spoons ; spinner baits etc. All that I need, that is for sure. They cover top; bottom; mid level and weedless! regards, Rich
MethodMachine

Post by MethodMachine »

I bought this tackle box

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-1354-4-By-S ... tackle+box

removed the trays, and put them in my milk crate. l also have a couple of water proof boxes to keep cellphone, keys, knives, pliers, etc.
powerpro69

Post by powerpro69 »

My whole set up is still a work in progress, but I bought two of the cheap Plano Mini Magnum tackle boxes, perfect size for a milk crate, filled one with lures and Jigs and the other with assorted weights, hooks, swivels etc, one more will fit perfectly and I'll fill it with plastics.
elementfiftyfour

Post by elementfiftyfour »

Take only what you will need on that particular fishing trip. Usually in a kayak you know where you are going and how you will be targeting the specific species you expect to catch. I myself only take two small waterproof Plano cases and two fishing rods. In one case is a small assortment of plastics, a couple spoons, a top water and an assortment of jig heads. In the other case I have an extra cork, a pack or two of plastics and some leader line. I figure that when you are out on a kayak you won't be covering so much distance that you will have a need for all the extra gear that may be necessary on a bay or flats boat. On the boat you can go from one environment fishing the edge of the marsh grass to soaking mullets and croaker at the bottom of a shipping channel all in one morning.
One thing you don't want to be is the guy that takes an extra 20 minutes to load and unload his kayak all to inevitably lose it all at the bottom of the lake one day. Yes, recently one of the new guys in our club turtled his yak and lost SIX fishing rods and reels and an entire tackle box full of gear along with everything else he didn't have leashed to his yak. That had to have been an expensive trip.
iFish

Post by iFish »

I only take what I can afford to lose :lol:
Fadedred

Post by Fadedred »

I'm one of those "just in case" and take way more than I need. But I'm working on it, down sized to a couple trays in the milk crate with plastics and hooks, sinkers, ect. another small box under the seat with a couple jigs, crank bait, and top water. I still have 3 -4 rods rigged for top, middle, and bottom. plus my 6 wt fly rod. A medium/small belt pack with streamers, leader & tippet.
Stalkin Spots

Post by Stalkin Spots »

I used to take everything I had, but when my little Princess (6) started fishing with me I got rid of the crate to put her seat in the tankwell. I don't usually fish when she is with me so no worries about tackle then. When I do get to fish, I have installed 2 scotty rod holders behind my seat and 1 in front to carry my rods. I have all my tackle in a large tacklebox, but take only what will fit in a medium sized Plano box with me depending on location and conditions. I do take all of my plastics in a binder in the front hatch. My anchor and drift sock are accessible inside the hatch in front of my seat. I tied a piece of rope around the scuppers to clip them to so they don't get out of reach.

Life is so much easier now! 8)
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

One of the best features on My Feelfree Moken Angler is the hatch on the front. I use that as my tackle box. I usually have 3 big Plano boxes, a spinnerbait box, several bags of plastics, and my Pelican box with wallet, keys etc. Still more room for sunscreen or whatever. Usually bring 3 rods stowed behind me on my pvc setup. It's easier for me to reach that front hatch than try to get to a crate or whatever behind me. It's also nice freeing up the sternwell for a cooler or whatever.
HLS-HookLine&Sinker

Post by HLS-HookLine&Sinker »

It certainly depends on what depth of water you fish in as well.
I toss tons of gear aside and settle for absolute essentials when it comes to BTB compared to what I know I can comfortably carry and handle out on the bay. Ive been caught in some rain storms over a deep cut or back bay slough with "turtleing" never crossing my mind.
I already feels as if I overpack but if I stop and look at the kayak I still have tons of open space.

Bay Side -Tackle
waterproof Plano box with assorted jigheads lures weights and swivels.
300yd 20# mono spool for leaders
2 rods usually one for working top & bottom.
extra popping corks in the crate
Bunged straps help hold items in crate with less chance of falling out
pelican box.with all.the electronics and wallets
Exterior cooler on stern tank well

Bogas and pliers attached to yak

BTB
Usually small waterproof pelican case with assorted hooks swivels,weights.
Spool of leader line
Bait
Pelican box with valuables out of reach stored inside yak.
few drinks in crate
And LEASHES for everything that sits on top ha
cooler stored in front hatch well.
2 rods

Just installed a waterproof 350w sound system for the yak so that always goes with too!

Bait bucket