Rod Holder Question

Klynne

Rod Holder Question

Post by Klynne »

Hey y'all just have a question about installing my scotty rod holder Im fixing to get.Ok im able to access inside to put nuts, but I was wondering if pop rivets would work just as good.Also do I just put marine sealant on the outside once the rivets/or screws are in? Thanks
Cosmo333_Tx

Re: Rod Holder Question

Post by Cosmo333_Tx »

What kind of rod holder is it specifically? There are many models of Scotty, changes my answer a little depending on what type.
jester1542

Post by jester1542 »

I have a scotty that is a surface mount that I didnt install. It seems like it might be difficult to use rivets as the base is pretty thick and the holes are a little recessed, I'm not sure the rivets would seat securely at the bottom of the holes. If I had mounted it I would have put marine goop under the base and around the rivets/bolts. You might look at the flush scotty mounts, you have to cut a bigger hold and be able to put the large nut on underneath but it does make for a cleaner install plus they have a cap to keep water out.
Klynne

Post by Klynne »

It sits on top, its the one we have at academy, I haven't bought it yet but have looked at it.There are a couple diff mounts we also sale there, but I kinda wanted the sit on top.Its like 19.99 with no hardware, I'll look again when I go to work tonight to see which one it is.Thanks for yalls help!
Klynne

Post by Klynne »

It looks like screws would work better.This is going in front of me, I have one flush mount and on my crate 2 pvc holders already.
Attachments
10008667.jpeg
10008667.jpeg (17.02 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
CR
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CR »

In case you ever want to haul it upside down, mount it where it is not the highest point on the top. Screws are best, and good on the sealant.
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

Stainless nuts/bolts and oversized washers for backing with plenty of goop. Those mounts take a lot of abuse from things hitting them and from stress transferred from your rod when a fish strikes, especially larger ones. Ask around in the BTB forum how many have had a rod holder break under the pressure of a large fish strike.
Klynne

Post by Klynne »

Thanks y'all, I bought it, but didn't even think about the hauling thing.I haul it upside down at an angle resting on my tailgate.That's crazy about the fish thing, I didn't think of that either.Maybe I need to rethink this some.
Klynne

Post by Klynne »

Lol didn't know this thing came apart, so Im getting some marine adhesive and gonna install it before work today, I'll put a picture on later.
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Roofish »

My suggestion spend sometime fishing & see what it is that you absolutely can't fish/paddle without & save yourself some $$$, when I 1st started kayak fishing like 5 yrs ago I thought I had to have every gadget under the sun & I didn't end up using most of it. It was fun fooling with it all & learning about it, but it was a big waste of time & $$

I had 2 flushmount rodholders & 1 Scotty mount like the 1 pictured, anchor trolley, Scotty light, wind sock, etc etc on my old WS Ride 135.

But I just got 2 new WS Ride 135's & I'm debating weather I'm gonna put anything @ all on them.

I have found that rodmounts just get in the way while casting & I always ended up carrying just 2 or 3 rods @ most & fishing 1 while the other 1 or 2 just sat between my legs, that way I'm not hitting them while casting.

I also don't carry a crate any longer. I find that I only yak w/what is absolutely neccessary.

2/3 rods, 1 I fish with, 1/2 between my legs, vest, paddle, collaspable cooler w/a couple of those lure boxes in it, with all the lures/flies or whatever style of gear for the particular type of fishing I happen to be doing @ the time & a waterjug.

Much easier loading & unloading & lighter to paddle with, hope this makes sense.
braumeister

Post by braumeister »

I glued some locknuts into Scotty rail mount adapters and used them with Yak Attack rigging bullets just like you would with the Yak Attack Fullbacks. Actually I bored holes in the rail mount adapters so I could mount Scotty flush mount adapters but the holes are not needed with the top mounts. I am sorry but I did not take pictures. I worked great though.
Klynne

Post by Klynne »

Thanks again y'all, Roofish thanks:) I have been fishing several times and carry 2 rods.I don't like having to just lay it down in front of me or mess with putting it back in one of the other holders.I don't have any other things I've added just carry my crate and few small things.I have a homemade stick anchor that is kind of a pain to carry but I def like it.The only other thing I would buy is a telescopic stick anchor.I don't want a bunch of fancy stuff lol.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Mine have been mounted with pop rivits and no sealant. No problems so far. I also do not have water coming in over the top of the mounting point. I go home BEFORE it gets that rough. Even if a wave breaks over the boat, the pop rivits fit tight in the hole and would have trouble leaking enough to make any difference. Do use the nylon rivits designed for yaks not the hardware store standard types. The top part of the mount is always removed for transport of the yak.
Klynne

Post by Klynne »

Installed finally,1/4 inch stainless with nylok nuts and of course washers
Attachments
2012-09-22 15.49.47.jpg
2012-09-22 15.35.43.jpg
2012-09-22 15.45.36.jpg
Klynne

Post by Klynne »

Coming back in at Powderhorn I've had water come over lol mainly in the seat, always have a wet seat, need to figure that one out next lol.
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Roofish »

Does that kayak have scupper holes? If it does try pluggin or unpluggin them. Alot of people use foam golf balls from Academy :) That will fix water in the seat area one way or the other.
BigDozer66

Post by BigDozer66 »

That's the same yak my daughter has! :clap:

BigDozer66
Klynne

Post by Klynne »

Lol two holes under the seat, I kept them plugged and waves splash over and it stayed wet so I took them out, still the same.Now it didn't stay we t at Peyton creek or garcitas creek.
Klynne

Post by Klynne »

That's cool Bigdozer, I bought it at academy, I love my 20% discount there:)