Another Cheep leash.

Papi

Another Cheep leash.

Post by Papi »

I found this post on an Aussi Kayak fishing site. I believe the whipper snipper line they are speaking of is what we call weed whacker line.

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14736
sogarc23

Re: Another Cheep leash.

Post by sogarc23 »

I thought this was a great idea so I went ahead and made four of these leashes for my my rods. Cost of each leash was about 3 dollars. The ferrules were a little difficult to find but I was finally able to find them at a local hardware store.

White Falcon

Post by White Falcon »

Did you purchase the yellow cord curled??
sogarc23

Post by sogarc23 »

Just weed eater cord or gas trimmer line, whatever you want to call it. The link above shows you how to curl it step by step but you have to register in order to view it.

sogarc23

Post by sogarc23 »

This link shows how I put the Velcro on the loop of the leash. It was 18 inches of Velcro I found at Walmart cut into 2 equal pieces.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2DVj2kU ... ata_player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sogarc23

Post by sogarc23 »

This is how I started it out. I drilled a hole at each end of a giant pencil and pulled one end of the line through one end

This is how it looks after I coiled it around the pencil and through the other end
sogarc23

Post by sogarc23 »

I then put it in boiling water for about 15 min

And in ice water for another 10 min

Uncoil it and this is what you get. Just add Velcro,ferrals, carabiner and you have a leash for your paddle, rods, or whatever gear you want secured to your yak. The finished leash on the left was boiled for ten min while the one on the right was boiled for 20 min. It seems the longer you boil it the more coiled it becomes. Can't wait to try these out

NTXYakR

Post by NTXYakR »

Great job! Gotta make me some of these. :)
Coastalobsession

Post by Coastalobsession »

Thanks for sharing!!!
Mojo227

Post by Mojo227 »

That is just wonderfully simple!
Hector

Post by Hector »

Awesome! Thanks!
eclipse504

Post by eclipse504 »

Wow, that is like McGruber stuff right there. :lol:
Shadow_Fox

Post by Shadow_Fox »

Easy to do, cheap, and very useful. Once again thanks for the great idea. :clap:
magnetik

Post by magnetik »

lol the things you find on the internet.. I would have never thought of using weed eater wire and boiling it to keep its shape. Props. I wish I would have seen this post earlier before I got my sleeved Emotion leashes off amazon for $7-8. (which was the best deal I could find for some sleeved leashes)

The leash looks great. You can even use outer layer of paracord to sleeve it if you want to pretty it up a little bit.

Thanks for sharing.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Thanks for finding and sharing this! Do-it-yourself is my preference, and this is better than what I had come up with.
Superman0311

Post by Superman0311 »

haha, awesome!!! thanks for sharing. Pretty awesome!!!
powerpro69

Post by powerpro69 »

Well, I just gave it a shot, not too bad, except I think my dowel was too thick (Thumb size) and perhaps I need a thinner weed eater line! Might see if I can go find me one of the $7 leases on Amazon :lol:
BigDozer66

Post by BigDozer66 »

Nice! :mrgreen:

BigDozer66
FishinClint

Post by FishinClint »

Howdy!

Yeah, these are great. I'm gonna make a set of 4 or so. I saw several different packs of pre-made velcro straps at Academy last night in the boating section. 6 multi-colored for 3$, 12 for 6$, and 50 grey/blk for 6$. Some were more light duty than others but all seemed like they would work great for leashes. I would have bought the fifty pack but the Academy on Military Dr/Loop 410 has cut down on just about all the things I buy. They used to have full isles of lines, hooks/leader materials, and saltwater lures. Now each of those sections are about 1/2 an isle or less each. I will take my business to someone who knows what they're doing.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Another good cheap way to have leashes for your gear is to use shock (bungee)cord (1/8 or 3/16 inch thick). You can get it for pennies a foot in many colors at http://www.sgtknots.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You can also buy it in 100 foot rolls for 18 bucks per 100 feet. I have some on the way and will post pics of what I do with the cord, some cheap carabiners bought at Walmart foe 99 cents a pair, some cord locks and some zip ties. I will make leashes for my pliers, fish grippers, fish towel, go pro camera, tackle boxes
and my little iPod stereo speaker thing I use for tunes. This is what I use - 8 bucks

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... A0+-+%2420" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;