bed extender for 2 kayaks?

koncept1

bed extender for 2 kayaks?

Post by koncept1 »

Does anyone know if the bed extender from HF will work on 2 yaks? Or will I need to mod it and weld on a longer cross bar? Thanks in advance!
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Re: bed extender for 2 kayaks?

Post by RedWolf »

I think it would greatly depend on the type of yaks, I usually stack mine in my truck, but the PA takes up most the bed so don't really have much choice about stacking.
koncept1

Post by koncept1 »

ah, they are both OK Trident 13's. Also How do you secure the front of the yaks? My bed has 2 tie downs at the front of the bed towards the bottom. just winch them down at the front, and strap the yaks down at the extender??
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

My F-150 has cleats in the 4 corners of the bed. I run a rope from one around the rear handle of the PA, thru the scuppers of the Frenzy, back to the rear handle and down to the cleat on either side in the front of the bed. In the back, 2 separate ropes from the front handle of the PA back to the cleats. A 3rd smaller diameter rope from back cleat, thru Frenzy scuppers again back to cleat. Don't currently have a bed extender, but have had one before.

The end towards the front of the bed does not have to be super tight, just tight enough to keep it from sliding around, using the bed extender, I would use a cinch strap, not a ratchet strap, to keep from over-tightening and possibly damaging the hull of the yak, and would also probably try to run a mid strap around the end of your bed/tailgate area to keep them from bouncing as well.
daveg99
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by daveg99 »

I carry a tarpon 16 and a redfish 12 in my f150 all the time. It works.
pershing

Post by pershing »

Here is my truck with the extender and 3 Tarpons 120. On the camping pic I moved them back about 2 feet due to coolers and extra camping gear. I use normally 2 to 3 straps. 2 are visible, the third one is on the very back. I use the eyelets on the extender, the middle one just goes around the bumper and through the handles and the back one using the inside eyelets in the truck bed and through the back handles. Hope this helps...
Attachments
DSC01805.JPG
DSC01675s.jpg
koncept1

Post by koncept1 »

awesome! thanks for the pictures, that really answered a lot of my questions about how to tie them down etc etc. I'll be transporting them from Sugar Land, to Galveston-Freeport area. Think I'll have any issues?

btw I have a GMC sierra crew cab, short bed
FlounderPounder87

Post by FlounderPounder87 »

I haul 2 yaks all the time with no problem. I learned a good bit of advise from somebody on this site. Run a strap from the loop on the bed extender to a loop in your bed to take the bounce out of your extender. makes a big diference
koncept1

Post by koncept1 »

thanks! I never wouldve even thought that the extender is that loose! Thanks again!
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

I carry my kayaks upside down on the bed extender. I have a tool box in the truck, which sets the boats back a bit. My boats (Trident 13 and Dagger Cayman) both have a lot of sheer in the hull, especially the Dagger. I cut a 4"X4" to the width of my bed and screwed some eyebolts into it. I cut some cord to fit and use it with carabiners to clip to the front cargo hooks in the bed; with the 4"X4" aft of the wheelwells and tied to the front hooks it doesn't move around. I glued carpet to the 4"X4" and to the bed extender. I strap the boats to the 4"X4" and to the bed extender and it all works like it should.
pershing

Post by pershing »

I should add that I added kayak foam pads to the extender and I use two more under the kayaks on the truck bed side. That keeps them elevated and wont slide. Also for the third one I use 2 pool noodles in between the top and bottom ones. I have done trips of about an hour or less. But if they are tied right I dont see why you couldnt do longer trips fine. Im working on a removable trailer light set for night trips. That red flag only gets you so far :)

- Pershing
5moreminutes
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by 5moreminutes »

I use a clip tied with a rope to the front part of the bed (to keep it from sliding out) and I tie the handle to the back (to keep it moving from left to right) of the truck. Ratchet straps rust or you can tighten down too much. 1 clip 1 knot and I am good to go.
koncept1

thanks for the help guys!

Post by koncept1 »

Got the extender from HF on Friday and rigged up for a Easter Sunday trip, but I didn't go out due to the winds. I still need to add some reflective tape and some lights.

bboren
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by bboren »

Looks like it will work. Hurry up and wait for the wind to die down.
TUNDRA786

Post by TUNDRA786 »

Ive had 4 in mine at once.
tarpon 14
redfish 14
apex tandem
ocean scupper pro
Tundra short bed with extender.
no problem and very safe