How long do you expect your kayak to last?

mantuke

Re: How long do you expect your kayak to last?

Post by mantuke »

HAHA What a great cross section of people and their standards has come out in this thread.... I thanks you for posting this it is always fun to see how diverse the kayaking crowd is. Like any other recreational sport out there you have folks that use the same golf clubs all their life and then there are those that have to have the latest techno improvement. Does it really improve their skill and success or is it all part of the joy they get in being part of the sport. As with all things this proves use forums like this to widen your perspective and knowledge. In the end each of use must decide for ourselves what makes us happy and the direction we can afford to go.

Tight Lines all :clap: :clap: :clap:
BigGabe63
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by BigGabe63 »

It really is a hard question to answer though! At the current rate of how I am treating my kayak and if I were planning on keeping it for a long time then I would probably expect it to last atleast two or three more years because I drag it to the launch site and am constantly going over oysters. Since, I am planning on trying something different sometime soon then I just need it to last until I sale it to someone else. But I have to agree with others on the fact that if properly taken care of then it should last for a good while due to the superior quality of Ocean Kayaks I.M.H.O.
Chaz
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chaz »

I have a old style Tarpon16 that I bought in 2000 and have abused mightily over the years. It has been drug through the parking lot in Port Arthur, rode down the side of leves in Houston, over oyster shells in Powderhorn, through trips to the Chandeleurs, dropped off the roof of my car, jumped into by Boy Scouts at Bastrop...and still paddles just fine.
CrazyAl

Post by CrazyAl »

Lots of folks mentioned not dragging. In general, I agree. I've noticed I've picked up a couple of nasty rock/oyster rash spots and I know they came from launching. If you are by yourself, how can you possibly launch your boat without pushing or dragging it some to get it off the bank? Some places are mud or sand with no hard surface and that makes it a breeze, but what if there is no "ice cream" launch spot? Just deal with the rash I guess and go fishing....
Sisco Kid

Post by Sisco Kid »

MoJo-Jo-Jo wrote:i havent had one last longer than 4 months so far, i keep finding something else i want and sell them to get the new one.
x2, i thought i was the only one :lol:
Gone Yakin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gone Yakin »

Mine will last forever since it sits in the garage and never gets used...........
Weird1

Post by Weird1 »

152 Sumo wrote:
Phatwater wrote:I own a 1998 Wilderness System Ride that I bought used in 2002. The guy before me stored it in an open shed. I store it between my fence and side house. Use it at least one weekend a month for fishing and have paddled in 2 kayak marathon races with it. In marathons and training alone I've totaled over 250 miles of paddling along with salt water fishing at least once a month. Its beat up to hell with scratches all over it but it still floats and I have never had any problems with it especially considering its been stored outside and is now 12 years old.
haha.. and here I am worrying about "needing" another kayak in a year or two. Mine is stored in the garage and I am lucky if I get out once every other month. In fact, since I moved to TX in November 08, I think my kayak has touched water only 5 or 6 times.
Sumo if you didn't live so far away I would help you wear that thing out.

Now to answer your question I don't expect mine to last long, I hope it does, but I dont treat it well always in the sun, overloaded and drug while loaded ect. but I will use it up before it gets replaced.
Lollipop
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Lollipop »

CrazyAl wrote:Lots of folks mentioned not dragging. In general, I agree. I've noticed I've picked up a couple of nasty rock/oyster rash spots and I know they came from launching. If you are by yourself, how can you possibly launch your boat without pushing or dragging it some to get it off the bank?
Before getting old and decrepit, I used to pick my kayak up and carry it. Sit insides are easy to shoulder carry. A strap to the side carry handle makes the sit on tops easy to carry.

The problem with dragging is related to how you do it. If you pick up the bow, the weight is concentrated on a few square inches of the stern and a hole can be worn through the plastic very quickly. If you add a bow line and grasp it 8 feet from the bow, when you pull the kayak, the contact area is expanded and often you can drag the kayak over concrete, asphalt, and rock without doing any damage. If you are going to drag your kayak, do not load it before dragging it.

Most of the oyster rash I see is related to paddling and running into a reef and continuing to try to navigate through the reef without getting out and towing your kayak.

Lollipop