priming a bilge pump wouthout a primer bulb

jackh

priming a bilge pump wouthout a primer bulb

Post by jackh »

is this possible? i built a livewell today and when it was all done i realized i need a primer bulb. i dont have any more time to work on it and im going fishing tomorrow morning and was planning on taking the tank with me. thanks for any ideas
cody p

Re: priming a bilge pump wouthout a primer bulb

Post by cody p »

iv never used one try a cup if u need it
jackh

Post by jackh »

Where do I buy a primer bulb? Academy?
plumberman

Post by plumberman »

Academy, walmart, boat shops. But they are for fuel line and will have a smaller diameter barb fitting and will restrict the flow possibly heating up your pump. Have you tried it without priming it? Or just filling the tubing with water and hold your finger over the end until you stick it in the water? Good luck.
jackh

Post by jackh »

they wont have one for 1" tubing? what about 3/4"? i tried sticking the end of the hose going to the pump in a bucket of water they other day and had no luck. its a tsunami, it wouldn't prime until all of the threaded end of the housing was under water.
hdcowboy
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by hdcowboy »

One the Hobie Livewell the intake tube is ran down the scupper hole into a pice of tubing with a forward facing fitting on it so as you move the kayak forward water is forced into the tubing making it self priming. The only other way I can think of priming i (without a primer bulb) might be to suck on like you would do if you were siphoning gas.
jackh

Post by jackh »

hdcowboy wrote:One the Hobie Livewell the intake tube is ran down the scupper hole into a pice of tubing with a forward facing fitting on it so as you move the kayak forward water is forced into the tubing making it self priming. The only other way I can think of priming i (without a primer bulb) might be to suck on like you would do if you were siphoning gas.
like a 90 degree elbow under the yak?
hdcowboy
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by hdcowboy »

jackh wrote:like a 90 degree elbow under the yak?
Basically yes, I believe that might work! The actually fitting and tubing looks like this but a 90 degree fitting should serve the same purpose.

jackh

Post by jackh »

so as you paddle, water is forced upwards into the tube all the way up to the pump to prime it?? seems like youd have to be haulin ass to get water to go that high up in the tube...
hdcowboy
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by hdcowboy »

jackh wrote:so as you paddle, water is forced upwards into the tube all the way up to the pump to prime it?? seems like youd have to be haulin ass to get water to go that high up in the tube...
Exactly and you dont really have top be hauling butt but you do have to be steady moving for a little bit. Here's a better look at the thing..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrnnObrocgM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kayakfisherman777

Post by kayakfisherman777 »

My Hobie Livewell would not prime and I bought this on eBay and it works super well . It was less than $20. Also here is his website:

http://LivewellPrimer.com