Hobie PA From the Ceiling

sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Hobie PA From the Ceiling

Post by sinkingship »

Ok so I went out of town last week and just returned home today. Well one project on my to-do list was get my new PA off the table in the garage and put somewhere out of the way (like that is possible). Well I used to have my X-13 hanging from the ceiling, but it was considerably lighter than the PA so after sitting down and getting to thinking I re-worked my old system and now have my PA up on my garage ceiling.

The old rope I used on my X-13 would not work in my opinion to support the weight of the PA so with that same thinking I was wondering how in the heck I was going to manage lifting/pulling the line to raise the darned thing. So I went to Tractor Supply and got a 2000 lb 12v winch with 49ft of line (just the perfect amount too!). I re-spooled the winch after mounting it to the wall and running the line through the old pulley system. I still think and hope that my pulley system should be more than capable of holding the PA.

Here is the final product...cool thing is it comes with a remote lead so I can balance my boat as it raises...and not break a sweat...once it's low enough I can put the cart into the scupper holes and then drop the ratchet straps off and carry her out.
Attachments
DSC00670.JPG
DSC00671.JPG
DSC00672.JPG
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Re: Hobie PA From the Ceiling

Post by Mythman »

Very neat!!!
bigblueorange

Post by bigblueorange »

Pretty darn sweet!!
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

On a funny note I was able to use the battery for my fish finder to raise and lower the yak. The 12v battery had more than enough juice to raise and lower the yak app 10 times! I had to try it several times to test stability and make sure it would hold. Oh and the battery still had a charge when I hooked it up to re-charge.
Rod Pod

Post by Rod Pod »

That is pretty darn cool! How long did it take you to complete the entire setup?
Just Fish

Post by Just Fish »

Nice setup. That was a good idea.
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

From start to finish I would have to say that it took about 2 hours total. Thats everything from cuting and counter-sinking the holes for the supports up top, marking the joists to hang it from, and then actually doing the rest of the install. It really wasn't that bad and I'm sure if you had a bit of help from someone it would go even faster, but that was done by myself. In the end when you look at the fact that I actually got the PA up off the ground and out of the way and can raise, lower, and then load the yak by myself...it makes it invaluable. I've been trying to find a way to make it so that I can take this barge out by myself without anyone elses help...this gets me one step closer to that goal. The other thing is my trailer which good thing I was so busy this summer I never got to work on it because now I am re-vamping it to fit the needs of my PA.
BigGabe63
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by BigGabe63 »

That is a really nice set-up you have. When I get a house with a garage that is exactly what i was thinking of doing. (currently have my yak in a storage room :? :( )
Rod Pod

Post by Rod Pod »

Shoot, when I get a house I will have a storage room just for my kayak :D Then I'm going to make a pulley system that I can lower my yak onto my car!
Sinkingking ship, I looked at the PA's stats, does it really weight 110+lbs? That seems crazy high for a kayak.
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

138 pounds with the Mirage drive in it. Yeah it's a beast! The decent thing about it for loading and unloading they installed replaceable "skid plates" on the rear of the kayak where the drain plugs are so that it can be lifted/slid on them a little. Saves your from worrying about tearing up the kayak itself. With their kayak cart that was meant for their kayaks on it it really won't be that big of a deal getting it on and off the trailer. I am interested to see how well this cart holds up to getting submerged in saltwater time and time again...granted I clean my gear really well.
Austin Canoe & Kayak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Austin Canoe & Kayak »

Wow, that is impressive!

Dave
Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

Nice to see how you got yours up as I am in the process of figuring out something simialar for my Garage. I want a PA for my place in Galveston but the only way to store it is by lifting it to the ceiling.

I saw Cabello's had a Kayak Lifting system but yours is interesting as well.
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

I like mine because everything I have I can raise an easy 300 lbs and not worry about a pulley or the line snapping. At 138 lbs with mirage and seat in it you will be pushing the weight capacity of most lift systems if not...exceeding them. My only concern is...how much weight can my ceiling joists hold before they snap?
bboren
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by bboren »

What if I used pvc (4") for under the hull bout 6 ft. Long with cables going around it. To where I could hook it to the cable going to the pulleys. Anybody know if there would be any problem storing it like that. I don't want to warp the bottom of the hull in any way. In the manual it says to store upside down? Nobody wants to have to flip it over everytime u store it. It will be stored in my shop in the shade, but still gets pretty hot. Any other option that may be better? I'm open for anything. Let me know something , anything lol.
joco

Post by joco »

this is cool.

but how long to rig all this and bring it down and on your trailer etc..?

the pro is only 80 pound they say..no need for a winch right.? :lol:

cool outfit.

joco
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

138 pounds more like it...less the 6.6 pounds for the mirage drive. That puts it a smidge over 80. But that doesn't really matter since I sold the PA, but I'll tell you while lifting the PA by hand is not impossible...it's in no way shape or form fun. :wink:
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

Let's see the trailer.

You did a great job on the lift. I tried several hand winches and none worked, or worked well. I really was frustrated by that. The electric winch really looks like a great idea.

Congratulations on a great job!

Ray
joco

Post by joco »

138...... :shock: ..that sound better.

i dont no where they took there weights.

again you sher did a nice job.

i might get a pro one day...i love the peddles kit and to be able to stand up no prob..but hate the weight off it and the not to portability..but sher is a great yak/boat,

joco
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

Harold Ray wrote:Let's see the trailer.

You did a great job on the lift. I tried several hand winches and none worked, or worked well. I really was frustrated by that. The electric winch really looks like a great idea.

Congratulations on a great job!

Ray
Ray I picked that winch up on sale for like 69.99 and it has a remote lead that allows me to balance the yak and lift at the same time...cheap as heck for the energy it saves me! Check harbor freight for a sale on one it's worth it!

The trailer was a labor of love and a matter of finding time, but I couldn't be happier with the results. Here's a few pics for ya...

Before
During
Almost done
Done with the compression padding and outdoor carpet
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

Looks like another great job.