actual regulations regarding overhanging objects

bigblueorange

actual regulations regarding overhanging objects

Post by bigblueorange »

Took a lot of digging but I found the actual regulations regarding overhanging objects:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/CDLhandbook.pdf

(starts on page 14-11)

8. Extensions Over Front and Rear. No vehicle may
carry a load extending more than three feet beyond
the front nor more than four feet beyond the rear,
unless a special permit is obtained. When any load
extends more than four feet beyond the rear, there
must be attached on the extreme rear of such extension,
a red flag at least twelve inches square during
daylight hours and at night a burning red light visible
for 500 feet. (See exceptions.) Motor vehicles or combinations
thereof used exclusively for the transportation
of poles or pipes may exceed the length or extension
limits over front and rear of a vehicle, except that
such vehicles may not exceed 65 feet in length and
may be operated only between sunrise and sunset.
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: actual regulations regarding overhanging objects

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Thanks, that is very helpful... i have the flag for daytime... ;but then at night I still had a flag and thought I was ok... Now I know...
RPB
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by RPB »

Well, yes, that's the DPS CDL handbook, which paraphrases the actual laws for commercial vehicles, but that may only be for commercial vehicles. If you are looking for the actual laws regarding lighting/flags on projecting loads to the sides or rear for a non-commercial Pickup truck/passenger vehicle/van etc .... look at:
Texas Transportation Code, Chapter 547, Section 547.382

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... tm#547.382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sec. 547.382. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT ON PROJECTING LOADS. (a) A vehicle transporting a load that extends to the rear at least four feet beyond the bed or body of the vehicle shall display on the extreme end of the load at the times specified in Section 547.302(a):
(1) two red lamps visible at a distance of at least 500 feet from the rear;

(2) two red reflectors that indicate the maximum width and are visible at nighttime at all distances from 100 to 600 feet from the rear when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps; and

(3) two red lamps, one on each side, that indicate the maximum overhang and are visible at a distance of at least 500 feet from the side.

(b) At all other times, a vehicle transporting a load that extends beyond the vehicle's sides or more than four feet beyond the vehicle's rear shall display red flags that:

(1) are at least 12 inches square;

(2) mark the extremities of the load; and

(3) are placed where a lamp is required by this section.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
---------------
Note about the above: At least 1 Court has determined that the bumper is not "part of the 'bed or body" when measuring

Just about any Texas laws you want (other than Case Law) can be found here http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by RPB on Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RPB
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by RPB »

Notice as a "when" reference, it refers to "at the times specified in Section 547.302(a):" for Lights+reflectors and "at all OTHER times" for flags

For a measurement difference technicality, it also says "bed or body" for the lights section (not including bumper/extenders, but may include tailgate down as "body", depending on a Judge's mood?) , versus "the vehicle's rear" for the flag section.

Sec. 547.302. DUTY TO DISPLAY LIGHTS. (a) A vehicle shall display each lighted lamp and illuminating device required by this chapter to be on the vehicle:

(1) at nighttime; and

(2) when light is insufficient or atmospheric conditions are unfavorable so that a person or vehicle on the highway is not clearly discernible at a distance of 1,000 feet ahead.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(b) A signaling device, including a stoplamp or a turn signal lamp, shall be lighted as prescribed by this chapter.

(c) At least one lighted lamp shall be displayed on each side of the front of a motor vehicle.

(d) Not more than four of the following may be lighted at one time on the front of a motor vehicle:

(1) a headlamp required by this chapter; or

(2) a lamp, including an auxiliary lamp or spotlamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995
Last edited by RPB on Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.
bigblueorange

Post by bigblueorange »

Awesome. Thanks for that further clarification. I think the most important thing is that I am going to just buy a trailer that allows me to keep the yaks from extending over 4' off the back.
RPB
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by RPB »

bigblueorange wrote:Awesome. Thanks for that further clarification. I think the most important thing is that I am going to just buy a trailer that allows me to keep the yaks from extending over 4' off the back.
:mrgreen: That's what I did too, SO much easier to load now that I'm getting older too :mrgreen:
rod dawg
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by rod dawg »

I use red handkerchiefs and have mounted trailer lights on the bed extender.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

rod dawg wrote:I use red handkerchiefs and have mounted trailer lights on the bed extender.
works great - I picked up magnetic trailer lights for $12 at Harbor Freight and further secure them with small bungees.
surfers77
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfers77 »

You mean this wont work :x j/k
This was last year before I knew better. T-160 with a 8ft overhang from my Tundra.
Attachments
1230841089432.jpg
makepeace

Post by makepeace »

rod dawg wrote:I use red handkerchiefs and have mounted trailer lights on the bed extender.

same here. My search 15 and T140 stick out past 4 ft. Red flag and lights on my bed extender. I have had a constable and a state trooper directly behind me on 45 and have yet to be pulled for it. Knock on wood. Been transporting like this for going 2 years.
Attachments
truck extender2.jpeg
truck extender.jpeg
truck extender.jpeg (4.55 KiB) Viewed 25459 times
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

makepeace wrote:

same here. My search 15 and T140 stick out past 4 ft. Red flag and lights on my bed extender. I have had a constable and a state trooper directly behind me on 45 and have yet to be pulled for it. Knock on wood. Been transporting like this for going 2 years.

Maybe living on borrowered time?
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

Bad info deleted.
Last edited by TimmyT140 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rbdavis3591

Post by rbdavis3591 »

Ron Mc wrote:works great - I picked up magnetic trailer lights for $12 at Harbor Freight and further secure them with small bungees.
I actually used JB Weld to permanently mount my magnetic Harbor Freight trailer lights.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

TimmyT140 wrote:Extended Loads

(Texas Transportation Code 621.206)

A vehicle or combination of vehicles may not carry a load that extends more than three feet beyond its front or, except as permitted by other law, more than four feet beyond its rear.
Subsection (a) above does not apply to vehicles collecting garbage, rubbish, refuse, or recyclable materials which are equipped with front-end loading attachments and containers provided that the vehicle is actively engaged in the collection of garbage, rubbish, refuse, or recyclable materials.

(Texas Transportation Code 621.2061)

A trailer may carry a load that extends more than four feet beyond the rear of the trailer if the load consists of a motor vehicle that: is designed and intended to be carried at the rear of the trailer; is used or intended to be used to load or unload a commodity on or off the trailer; does not extend more than seven feet beyond the rear of the trailer; and complies with federal motor carrier safety regulations.

Does not apply to vehicles transporting Timber Products, Electric Transmission Poles, or pole and pipe.

My T140 extends way past 4 feet in the bed of my pickup, that's how I've been hauling it for about 3 years now. Never been pulled over yet, but I guess I've been in violation the whole time.
Texas Transportation Code 621 pertains to commercial vehicles.
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

More bad info deleted. :shock:
Last edited by TimmyT140 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

TimmyT140 wrote:
Neumie wrote:
TimmyT140 wrote:Extended Loads

Texas Transportation Code 621 pertains to commercial vehicles.
Sec. 621.001. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(1) "Commercial motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, designed or used for:
(A) the transportation of property; or
(B) delivery purposes.
Such as a box or flatbed truck. Do you need a CDL to drive your personal pickup?
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

OK, I was wrong. Never mind. :oops:

I guess I better get some lights if I plan on going frogging in the yak.