Yet another trailer build...UPDATED...

sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Yet another trailer build...UPDATED...

Post by sinkingship »

The title is that way because it seems that trailers are the hip thing to build as of right now. I figured since I finished the light project on my Mini-x...time for a new one. Since I had shoulder surgery I lost a lot of range of motion with weight carrying. I can easily throw my Mini-x and smaller yaks on top of my car with no problems, however if I want to take the X-13 out...I need help. When you throw my girl in the mix...she REALLY hates lifting things...especially that X-13. The next logical thing was the trailer. I have been scouring craigs list for the past few weeks looking for a good deal and I finally came across this gem. It was in Clute TX...it was delivered to me out in Katy for 300 bucks. The best thing about this trailer is the size (I'll get exact demensions tonight). My car will easily be able to pull this with no problems and when all is said and done it will have a gear box on the bottom and if I do it right be able to haul 4 yaks. Does anyone know how well doing a DIY bed liner kit will seal up the frame and prevent rust???

Now for the pics before I strip everything off this like the lights,fenders,rollers,winch...pretty much everything.

The one main plus side to this trailer is they did put a new axel with bearings on it already...one thing I don't have to replace!
Last edited by sinkingship on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Yet another trailer build...yup another

Post by sinkingship »

Ok so I wasted no time getting the easy and cheap work out of the way. I stripped off and pretty much junked everything off the trailer. I kept the lights since they were new, but will probably be junking them too after seeing the quality wiring that had been done on them. I wanted LED tail lights anyways...

Now that I have everything off of it, it is time to start measuring and planning out how to build this bad boy...From the way it looks like it is going to work out is 2 gear boxes below with the yak racks running through the center with a support between the two boxes.

One important thing and I hope I can get a few of you guys to give me some advice or a location to go. I need to know a good and reasonably priced place to get the Square tubing I'd like to use to build the rack? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...oh and here are the pics after last night...

sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Yet another trailer build...yup another

Post by sinkingship »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Over-80- ... ioQ5fVideo

Ok crazy big link there...that is one of the lighting kits I'm looking at. However I don't think I will use both sets of side markers...Probably just the amber set and leave the red ones out. I do however like the 3 lights on the strip...I am thinking about mounting it on the top cross bar on the yak rack that will eventually be built. I think it would be cool and also show how tall the trailer actually is. I think I will still be fully legal if I use that kit...I was checking txdot and haven't found anything to the contrary and the only extra lights from any other normal kit would be the 3 LED strip light.
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Yet another trailer build...advice/info needed

Post by sinkingship »

Ok I had a big long post typed up and went to submit it and my net froze and then decided to reset everything I had typed. I really do not feel like trying to retype everything I had already put so I'll do the Cliff's notes version.

long story short when I get excited about a new project...it tends to consume me. Last night I spent the better part of the night measuring and doing some rough drawings for my trailer (I didn't get to sleep until almost 1:30 only to be up for work at 6). I had originally planned on using 2" square tubing for the yak yaks, but after talking to Loneroo I will more than likely be using the 1 1/2" square. in the pics here are just ROUGH ideas, nothing is final. I do plan on adding cross supports for the upper rails on the yak racks...and even possibly...possibly one long support running the length of the trailer up high between the two. I have scratched the idea of hauling 4 yaks due to the narrow width of the trailer and my not wanting it to flip over on me. Also weight is always a concern.

I also plan on putting a gear box with a double opening lid below the yaks that will sit inside the dark frame you will see on the trailer in one of the attached pics.

Here ya go and tell me what ya think...
Attachments
TRAILERSPECS12.jpg
TRAILERSPECS11.jpg
4x4kayak2112
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by 4x4kayak2112 »

looks pretty good

i used 4x4 steel square post (b-ball goal post) and they arnt going anywhere....just a thought
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

Ok so my obsession has continued...so much so that I got a trial version of a cad program and started to teach myself how to draft out in 3D. All the pics are exactly to scale with the trailer and with what the materials are that I'll be using. I got to thinking...where else can I design my trailer before hand and get a really good idea of what it will look like and how it should function. On the plus side I have all my cut to dimensions when I am done.

ok so I know it's not much to look at, but hey I have NO formal schooling in this so I have had to teach myself by reading and trial and error. I never realized how difficult this could actually be. I was proud when I got this far and hey...only 4 nights after work on it and I have it figured out respectively well.
Attachments
20090608165551011_0001.jpg
20090608165551011_0001.jpg (24.85 KiB) Viewed 3124 times
20090608165533547_0001.jpg
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Yet another trailer build...UPDATED...

Post by sinkingship »

Ok so after 2 nights of cutting and welding I have made a little headway. Now bear in mind that I haven't used a welder in close to 12 years or so and this is my first crack at it since then. I know there is a little buckshot here and there and it's no stacks of dimes, but I assure you it is structurally sound. I have balanced one footed on the un supported corners and and they did not break nor bend. I also picked up and completly flipped the trailer over from the same corners. I threw a quick coat of primer on the unfinised metal and welds just to prevent it from rusting.

The biggest plus to the whole building a trailer project is the fact that it allowed me to aquire more tools...fun ones at that! I mean who doesn't want a welder, set of cutting torches (big bottles of course)...nifty new hood that makes ya look like you have a flaming skull for a face? Now I just need more garage space.

Onto the progression...

What you are looking at is the base framework for where I will be building my storage boxes...from here I will be putting a piece of Marine grade plywood down and building the boxes on top of that. I will rig up the old lights it came with just to get it registered for now so I won't have to wait on the plates later.

By the way...who can tell me of a local houston lumber yard for me to get marine grade plywood at a respecable price? Cmon you boat builders chime in for me :)
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

Ok after months in the back yard under a tarp the project is back on. Many issues pushed this one on the back burner from fundage to time. Well I'm back too it...of sorts. I finally got a little money again to play with and recently purchased the lights that will be going on the trailer (all of them are LED and I'll throw some pics of them up later) and I have been tossing around the idea of building boxes onto the trailer for hauling my gear, but when I found this little gem on CL I figured this would not only be easier, but probably last longer than my wooden ideas. Oh it only cost me 25 bucks!!!

I have already pulled the lids off and drilled out the rivets holding the center cap onto the box. There is surface rust on it in many areas, so I have started the sanding and priming procedure and plan on doing a DIY bedliner coating on the entire outside of the box. For the inside I am thinking doing a marine carpet, but I'm still not for sure on it.

With the weather cooling down I am actually a bit excited about getting back to welding the rest of the trailer together. I have to say that welding in June - July = no fun at all.

More pics to come eventually. Sorry for the quality but we lost our digital camera some how and am shooting these off my phone.
Attachments
toolbox2.jpg
toolbox1.jpg
Scottyboy

Post by Scottyboy »

Great platform to start the yak trailer with. I have one that I've "revised" about 4 times and already have ideas for more improvements. I have one that carried a 14" jon boat that I used. I had a box on my that was a 24" tall and with the top open was 36" tall.

The 1st trailer rev I had my yaks up high enough where I could open the box with my yaks on top. This made my plastic box accessable but put my yak 3' up on the trailer. This made the trailer top heavy with alot of sway to it .

Rev 2 dropped my yaks down right on top of my box with my box closed. This made the trailer ride better, but I had to make sure I had "every thing" in my box before I loaded my yaks. Several time loading and unloading I had to untie and push my yaks to the side to access the box.

Last Rev which is posted here under Trailer Pics I have removed the box, installed rollers and dropped the yaks as low as possible. I used PVC for rod holders and paddle keepers that are above the racks.

I like the design you have. When I redo mine again "Rev 4 or 5" , I plan on building a storage box on bottom about 12" tall and have hinged doors on top and back for easy access.

Keep posting up pics I like trailer projects.
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

Hmmmm I hope that mine isn't too top heavy now that you say that and I look at the height of my current design. That being said maybe if I keep enough weight IE my gear/box/cooler and such it won't be as top heavy. Who knows :? Were you catching a lot of sway due to the wind coming through it or were you able to pinpoint why exactly you were catching the sway? Since all of this is being welded on I'd like to keep the revisions as few as possible...my welds may not be the prettiest in town but they are as solid as they come.
Scottyboy

Post by Scottyboy »

If you notice on "New trailer Pics" my support post are bolted on the main frame in the middle and not spread out like you'rs, I have a lot more leverage, especially when hauling just 1 yak. You will have a wider stance so that should help.
philg

Post by philg »

FYI....If you are looking for a good place to get your box tube try http://www.Metals4u.com/

They have stores in Austin, San Antonio & Dallas. Great folks to do business with.

:)