More pics
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
frazior

Re: Post your trailer!!!!

Post by frazior »

Ok, I posted in another thread asking about bunks and got a lot of good advice. So, here is how my trailer has progressed so far......

Picked up a 4x6 Carry-On from Craigslist
2014-11-16.jpg
Replaced the toungue with a thicker 9 foot section of 2x3 stock and added a spare, tongue jack, coiled safety cables, and a handle
20141216_210341.jpg
20141216_210341.jpg (14.32 KiB) Viewed 41155 times
20141216_210525.jpg
20141216_210525.jpg (13.09 KiB) Viewed 41155 times

Building a two layer frame to carry my three yaks out of 13/16 Unistrut this weekend. The yaks will ride on SportRack saddles and I am going to replace the lights with LEDs. I Will add more pics as I go.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Might be a little thing but another trailer I have uses the coiled safety cables with snaps. Very convenient.
herphishyphishy

Post by herphishyphishy »

Any thoughts on turning this 4x9 into a kayak trailer for 2 Hobie PA's? Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

herphishyphishy wrote:Any thoughts on turning this 4x9 into a kayak trailer for 2 Hobie PA's? Thanks!
If it were mine, I would do nothing but add a couple straps, keep it simple, and use the trailer for hauling other stuff in addition to your kayaks. With the PA 14 coming in at 125#, keep loading low to the ground.
Heck, wish it were mine.
frazior

Post by frazior »

frazior wrote:Ok, I posted in another thread asking about bunks and got a lot of good advice. So, here is how my trailer has progressed so far......

Picked up a 4x6 Carry-On from Craigslist
The attachment 2014-11-16.jpg is no longer available
Replaced the toungue with a thicker 9 foot section of 2x3 stock and added a spare, tongue jack, coiled safety cables, and a handle
The attachment 20141216_210341.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20141216_210525.jpg is no longer available

Building a two layer frame to carry my three yaks out of 13/16 Unistrut this weekend. The yaks will ride on SportRack saddles and I am going to replace the lights with LEDs. I Will add more pics as I go.
Ok, got the trailer finished except for adding some marker lights towards the front. Unistrut is some AWSOME stuff!!
20141222_170912.jpg
20141222_171008.jpg
20141222_171054.jpg
Next will be adding storage bins, (picked up a cargo net from Harbor Freight for a 4x6 trailer), possibly some LED lighting to aid in night loading/unloading, and some lage PVC for Rod holders. That is until I can figure out how to attach the keg cooler........ :shock:
Walteezy

Post by Walteezy »

Well, the guys and I finally got our yaks and decided to work on our trailer!! Here are a few pics that we've taken and if anyone has any pointers or advice, please share!!! We used a 4x8 utility trailer and put 1" galvanized pipe all the way around. (Since we don't know how to weld or have a welder). At first we went with a V shape but realized we needed more stability on the bottom. So we split it up and made it a bit shorter. Like I said, any advice is welcomed!!! Thanks for looking!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Walteezy

Post by Walteezy »

Here are a couple other pics. I can only add 3 pictures at a time... I have the PA, peter has the revo 13, and phi has the outback.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
herphishyphishy

Post by herphishyphishy »

Just wanted to check to see what you all suggest for paint for your trailers? Thanks!!!
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

herphishyphishy wrote:Just wanted to check to see what you all suggest for paint for your trailers? Thanks!!!
Black bed liner paint

Z-man
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Post by Z~MAN »

Z~MAN wrote:
herphishyphishy wrote:Just wanted to check to see what you all suggest for paint for your trailers? Thanks!!!
Black bed liner paint

Z-man
Recommend the Plasti-kote brand
Holds good last a long time. Just do prep
U can brush, roll or spray it!
Datchew

Post by Datchew »

yakattackVA wrote:We made a rack that can be put on or taken off a regular 5 X 8 lawn mower trailer. That way I don't have to have another trailer to store :) Holds 4 yaks, 2 upside down and 2 right side up fully rigged.
Loaded Up.JPG

What hardware are you using there to frame the kayak rack portion?
Datchew

Post by Datchew »

yakattackVA wrote:We made a rack that can be put on or taken off a regular 5 X 8 lawn mower trailer. That way I don't have to have another trailer to store :) Holds 4 yaks, 2 upside down and 2 right side up fully rigged.
Loaded Up.JPG

What hardware are you using there to frame the kayak rack portion?
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

I bought this all aluminum trailer with the pivot swing arm for easy garage storage for $1350. It cost $1049 with not pivot arm.
IMG_1997.JPG
IMG_1999.JPG
loaded up
IMG_2001 (1).JPG
Radtech

Post by Radtech »

Other hobby = woodworking. Designed a tailored modular cradle system to accomodate all the boats in our fishing group. It can be arranged to haul any variation of one, two or all three boats. Cradles are bolted to support pedestals (for and aft); support pedestals are secured by steel cable & turnbuckle attached to the center track of the trailer. Trailer has a feature to enable locking another steel cable that gets routed through each boat (scuppers) for security if we decide to park and leave them unattended for any period of time. One of us uses the custom cradles as the support for storage to hang the boat from the garage ceiling. Last time we took the boats out, when we got back we just backed the trailer (loaded) into the garage and lifted the boat/cradle directly off the trailer and hung it from the ceiling. Whole system takes about 15 minutes to set up or tear down, and still preserves the utility capability of the trailer.
Attachments
trailer002.jpg
trailer001.jpg
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

So... After several weeks of working on my trailer... it is finally finished. I purchased a Harbor Freight trailer 48"x40-1/2". It was an open box, so the clerk gave me 20% off, and it ended up being $184. Luckily all the parts were there. I can tell you this though, it is a sturdy trailer but a bitch to get together if you have fat fingers. I had to get a piece of 2-1/2"x 2-1/2" Sq. tubing for a tongue extension. I purchased a 10ft piece of sq. tube from BROOKSHIRE STEEL in Brookshire Texas west of Katy for $30. I had my dad help me with the wiring, and then I built a box to go on top. Make sure if you buy a Harbor Freight trailer, you pack the hubs with grease really well, because they do not come pre-packed. All in all, parts alone, I think I spent around $400-$450 to build my trailer out. I purchased a bolt on Reese Tow Hitch for my 2013 Scion TC, and a plug and play Tow Hitch Light adapter for my car. The Reese Tow Hitch was like $100, and the P-N-P Light Adapter Kit was like $65. A little expensive for the Light kit, but I didnt have to splice anything into my existing wiring on my tail lights. The trailer pulls extremely well behind the Scion, and even does well at higher speeds (70mph).

timthetoolman

Post by timthetoolman »

Overkill, I like that pvc pipe idea. I may have to do that on the bottom of mine but run them the other way.

Here' is my trailer. It was an old jet ski trailer that was converted to a flat bed, then I built the side rails and top rack (which is removable). There are runners on the back that allow me to slide the top kayaks onto the rails.
Next I need to make some runners for the kayaks on the bottom because they are free to float around and strapping alone isn't working.

Since this photo was taken I've relocated the front two bars so the bottom kayaks slide even with the ones on top.

Tim
Attachments
20150409_175737_resized.JPG
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Hey Tim,

Thanks! The PVC works well. I used 1" and a "Jumbo" pool tube from walmart.

Brock
dashriprock

Post by dashriprock »

A friend of mine makes custom boat trailers mostly for large saltwater boats. He made this all-aluminum kayak trailer for me from parts he pretty much had laying around the shop. I'm glad he had two 15" wheels and an 8.5' axle laying around!
Attachments
OnTrailer130.jpg
Memory Maker

Post by Memory Maker »

I used a jet ski trailer to build a trailer to hold my 2 pro anglers and everything I fish with. I mounted 4 in PVC tubes covered in carpet to boards for support. The PVC tubes are also used for rod transport. I would use 6 in if I did it again because I can't get my hand in the 4 in easily. I mounted the Hobie Toy box that I modified to lock between the PA's to hold everything else. The box on the front holds everything incase of a trailer breakdown and the mirage drives. Now I can be on the road in 15 minutes and not forget anything.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Alvaro75

Post by Alvaro75 »

I got tired of loading all my gear in the bed of my truck, crammed in and unorganized, so my brother and I built this trailer. It's a Harbor Freight folding trailer with a Home Depot toolbox permanently mounted to the floor and a rack we welded together from some square tubing. We bolted down a diamond plate sheet for the floor and coated it with Raptor liner. It holds four kayaks and has plenty of room for all our gear and is lways ready for quick deployment. I added the PVC fishing rod holder to my truck later just to keep the rods and reels off the floor and untangled, works perfectly.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by Alvaro75 on Thu May 14, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Memory Maker

Post by Memory Maker »

What happened to my post ........ My name is listed as the last post but the pics and post are gone
msr

Post by msr »

Memory Maker wrote:What happened to my post ........ My name is listed as the last post but the pics and post are gone
I see them.
Memory Maker

Post by Memory Maker »

They were just approved ....... See them now ..... Thanks