Post your trailer!!!!

tw1nny03

Re: Post your trailer!!!!

Post by tw1nny03 »

Here's my trailer. I used a truck bed rack for a buddy yak.
Attachments
image.jpg
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

Anyone have the seal size for the harbor freight (item 90154) 4x8 1195lb folding trailer?

Thanks

Found it. 30mmx52mmx10mm now to actually find one.
Last edited by Heatstroke on Fri May 23, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COACHITUP

Post by COACHITUP »

twinny thats a badass idea
tw1nny03

Post by tw1nny03 »

COACHITUP wrote:twinny thats a badass idea
Thanks Coach.

I tried to come up with all kinds of ways to make a top rack for a buddy kayak. Wanted to do the unistrut idea. The truck bed rack idea just popped in my head one day. Found some online for $90 shipped. Figured using unistrut would cost about $50 in materials and wouldnt look as clean.

Bought the truck bed rack and mounted it on the frame of the trailer. Its super stable and very strong on the frame of the trailer. Can hold up to 650lbs, so it can easy handle two kayaks if I put J racks on the truck bed frame.
TightLines1925

Post by TightLines1925 »

Alright, did some mods on the trailer! Still getting there though! Added some J Hooks on the trailer and left some room for the Yeti. And got it hooked up to my Buddys truck ready to go to the Colorado River.

Will be taking her down to Galveston this weekend! Hit me up if anyone wants to get some lines wet!
6tag-198822142-708987344591618007_198822142.jpg
V__18BE.jpg
:dance:
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

TightLines1925 wrote:Alright, did some mods on the trailer! Still getting there though! Added some J Hooks on the trailer and left some room for the Yeti. And got it hooked up to my Buddys truck ready to go to the Colorado River.

Will be taking her down to Galveston this weekend! Hit me up if anyone wants to get some lines wet!
6tag-198822142-708987344591618007_198822142.jpg
V__18BE.jpg
:dance:
Are you calling your shot or what? LOL nice rig.
yak1_4daGipper

Post by yak1_4daGipper »

Done finally Image
cajuntexan

Post by cajuntexan »

I picked up his beauty this weekend for a steal. Is 4x6 and the trash was included in the price! I plan on extending the tongue and cutting it down a little so I can carry 4 yaks and still fit it in my garage door. I'll post more as progress is made.

lbeckett

Post by lbeckett »

tw1nny03
Do you have a link for the truck bed rack or a make/model or the rack? That's exactly what I'm looking for.
Thanks!
Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

Hey all, I just wanted to pass along a word of wisdom!

I received an old boat trailer about a year and half ago, and bout 2 months ago I dragged it about 30 miles and noticed a little puff of smoke when I stopped. After checking it, all seemed fine...

Fast fwd til last week and I decided to go ahead and change the bearings. Upon removing the hubs, the bearing rollers fell out into my hand on the suspecting side. The bearing was obviously blown, not to mention there was grease everywhere on my rim backside. The other side was not too bad ( it had USA bearings btw, as opposed to the other side).

So I being a trailer newb, I set out to find new bearings, but I had trouble since the old seals and bearings were so messed up, I couldn't find the numbers. ( only had one side at this point)

So now I've got to give mad props to the guys and gals at etrailer.com. They helped me located exactly what I needed at a great price. I decided since the trailer was so old, that I would just buy new hubs.

So thankfully, crisis averted. So, if you haven't checked and repacked your bearings this year, I encourage you to do it. Warning: it's a messy job. Here's a great vid on how to get it done:

Safe dragging y'all.

- Ben
Roy

Post by Roy »

Volkswatson wrote:Hey all, I just wanted to pass along a word of wisdom!

I received an old boat trailer about a year and half ago, and bout 2 months ago I dragged it about 30 miles and noticed a little puff of smoke when I stopped. After checking it, all seemed fine...

Fast fwd til last week and I decided to go ahead and change the bearings. Upon removing the hubs, the bearing rollers fell out into my hand on the suspecting side. The bearing was obviously blown, not to mention there was grease everywhere on my rim backside. The other side was not too bad ( it had USA bearings btw, as opposed to the other side).

So I being a trailer newb, I set out to find new bearings, but I had trouble since the old seals and bearings were so messed up, I couldn't find the numbers. ( only had one side at this point)

So now I've got to give mad props to the guys and gals at etrailer.com. They helped me located exactly what I needed at a great price. I decided since the trailer was so old, that I would just buy new hubs.

So thankfully, crisis averted. So, if you haven't checked and repacked your bearings this year, I encourage you to do it. Warning: it's a messy job. Here's a great vid on how to get it done:

Safe dragging y'all.

- Ben
I watched that video a while back (and a few others on changing bearings), and have to say, there is no way I will spend the effort, time, risk (I'm accident prone and know I'd probably make things worse), or money for the specialty tools in order to change the bearings. And trailer shops want a small fortune to do the work. Sooo... any time I buy a used trailer, I just buy a set of new hubs and I'm good to go! :wink: Unless the trailer is in new condition of course...
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

Install Bearing Buddies after you put in new bearings. Easy to keep the bearings greased and you should not have a problem for a long time.
MORF2Kayak

Post by MORF2Kayak »

Here is my trailer. I took several queues from MOfishyaker’s video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=223uGprVyIc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). I built this one to store, transport and launch two rather hefty Jackson kayaks.
Attachments
TrailerBuild5b.jpg
trailer_maiden_voyage1.JPG
Catfishatc

Post by Catfishatc »

My late grandfather put bearing buddies on all of his trailers regardless. Went on many different trips with him pulling various trailers - one to Alaska and back pulling a pop-up camper. About every 300-400 miles or so, one of us would pump in some grease. On more than one occasion on this trip and on others we had various truckers commend us on keeping the hubs greased - lots of horror stories of trailers left on the side of the road with bad hubs. Pack the bearings good once and maintain often - you can find small compact grease guns at walmart and just about any parts store.
Av8ing

Post by Av8ing »

Recently converted 10x5 utility trailer to Kayak hauler. Holds two PA's and a Ride135 under the PA's.
Attachments
DSC_0490.JPG
xtadventure

Post by xtadventure »

Thanks to all the ideas here I started my utility yak trailer build.
Got a craigslist 4x5 trailer, flipped the axle to give it more height, bed-lined it, then added truck bed rack from amazon and my old yakima load warrior basket - for the time being.
And it is all removable bolt-on.
Next I plan on putting 2 portable tool chests underneath for dry/lockable storage and a cooler.
I still need to lengthen the tongue though.
ImageImage
black_hawk1984

Post by black_hawk1984 »

BKT wrote:Just about done with my HF trailer.

Nothing special about it but I hope it'll get the job done.

Nice trailer, one question, Where did you puchased the Brackets where the square tubing is bolted to the trailer? I've been looking for something similar at Home Depot and other hardware stores and havent had luck.
f86sabjf

Post by f86sabjf »

I'm interested about the brackets as well.
JimM

Post by JimM »

black_hawk1984 wrote:

Nothing special about it but I hope it'll get the job done.

Nice trailer, one question, Where did you puchased the Brackets where the square tubing is bolted to the trailer? I've been looking for something similar at Home Depot and other hardware stores and havent had luck.
Can this trailer's tongue be extended? The way the 2 pieces meet in the front like that, is it possible? Thanks.
msr

Post by msr »

JimM wrote:
black_hawk1984 wrote:

Can this trailer's tongue be extended? The way the 2 pieces meet in the front like that, is it possible? Thanks.
I've seen posts here showing a single piece of (I believe) 4x4 aluminum as a simple tongue extension.
japacejr

Post by japacejr »

black_hawk1984 wrote:
Black Hawk, I picked up these brackets at northern tool. Had to order them because the ones they stocked in store did not have holes in the center of the bracket.

Hemi Fisher

Post by Hemi Fisher »

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a Malone Micro Sport XT yesterday from ACK. I am very impressed with this trailer. I went with the upgraded 78" cross bars as we will be hauling 2-4 yaks on each trip. This thing is very lightweight, looks nice, and the retractable tongue is nice because it fits in the garage easily. It's a bit pricey, but I highly recommend this trailer.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Nice. How would you haul 3 or 4 kayaks on there?
Hemi Fisher

Post by Hemi Fisher »

JimM wrote:Nice. How would you haul 3 or 4 kayaks on there?
To haul 4 kayaks, you just need to use 4 sets J cradles. Lately, we have only been using 2 kayaks, so it is easier to transport them flat like shown in the picture. It only takes a few minutes to switch saddles out for the J cradles, so we will do that as needed per trip.
TikiTime

Post by TikiTime »

My new ride. Sold last trailer. Too much steel to maintain in FL and springs were too hard. Purchased a "proper" kayak trailer - Continental brand. Amazing how much better it handles. I am thinking about adding a truck box to set in the frame to hold paddles and life jackets. Just need to make sure I maintain enough road clearance...but I think I can swing it.