Post your trailer!!!!

Dawgmary

Re: Post your trailer!!!!

Post by Dawgmary »

Have a 5x8 trailer here. Looks like I need to extend my tongue ~2.5 - 3 feet to safely handle 14' kayaks (will be towing low with a Subaru Outback). The trailer is the Carry On 5x8G (http://trailers.carry-ontrailer.com/vie ... r-trailers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?). For those that have extended tongues, would a 3' extension bring with it a host of issues? Looks to me like I can just unbolt the current 2x3" tube and now replace it with a longer one/coupler. Was thinking of adding additional support, but I have no welding help here. Closest guy want $90/ hour to weld supports. Figured I would write all to see if the additional support was needed. Any suggestions or advice?
G-Man
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by G-Man »

Dawgmary wrote:Have a 5x8 trailer here. Looks like I need to extend my tongue ~2.5 - 3 feet to safely handle 14' kayaks (will be towing low with a Subaru Outback). The trailer is the Carry On 5x8G (http://trailers.carry-ontrailer.com/vie ... r-trailers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?). For those that have extended tongues, would a 3' extension bring with it a host of issues? Looks to me like I can just unbolt the current 2x3" tube and now replace it with a longer one/coupler. Was thinking of adding additional support, but I have no welding help here. Closest guy want $90/ hour to weld supports. Figured I would write all to see if the additional support was needed. Any suggestions or advice?
I wouldn't extend the tongue on your trailer. Looks to me your's is built a lot better than the little HF utility trailer that me and a couple of other guys use... What I would do is like the pictured trailer that rod dawg has on page 7 of this thread.

G-Man
Hector

Post by Hector »

Man, I just bought a boat trailer on Wednesday. Have a
4x8 trailer but it sits real low and with a 14 and 13 footer
it gets hard to transport since I do not have sides on it.
Can't wait till it's done. I just need to add lights and uni strut
oh and get it registered. Hopefully by the next couple of weeks
I'll finish and maybe sell my other one. Trying to save money for
my third kayak.... Tarpon 160!!
Dawgmary

Post by Dawgmary »

I guess I should say too, that I an reusing my Thule load bars and my Thule "J" hooks to carry 3-4 kayaks. The gate of the trailer lays almost flat on the bed.

TKF 1000, do you recommend not extending the tongue as it will cause towing issues?
Dawgmary

Post by Dawgmary »

Also looking to keep Kayaks low (torn rotator cuff) and not lifting too high.
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

My jet ski trailer....
tn_100_1247.JPG
Recess the center section...
tn_100_1244.JPG
tn_100_1257.JPG
bassTaco

Post by bassTaco »

Well its been a year since I purchased the kayak trailer below (pic1) from craig's list. The way you see it in the first picture is exactly how I got it. I like my little 4x8 utility trailer because I can use it to haul junk around, and the person I bought it from also added a storage box with a pad lock to store paddles, rods, etc. The one thing I didn't like was how he designed the crossbars. They were too high, sat 8ft apart in length, and were 48" wide...could barely fit two kayaks. So although I didn't like the crossbar design, I couldn't pass up the good deal so decided that I would do the modifications myself and made the purchase.
My design was to have something that would sit lower, and not to far apart so I can put kayak saddles or sidemount kayak racks to fit more kayaks. At the same time, I wanted to make them removable so I can still haul furniture or dirt when needed...basically still be able to use the utility trailer for its true function as well. The final outcome is shown in pic2. The crossbars are 1" square tubing, 60" wide and I welded posts under the crossbars. I welded to the trailer's rail 1 1/4" square tubing to act as sleeves. The crossbars basically slide into the sleeves, and are locked in place with a bolt and wing-nut as shown in pic3. It is height adjustable to 3 positions..about a total 8inches of height difference. The bottom bolt you see in the pic3 is more of a stop bolt but is not needed. Anyhow, really loving the new modifications. It did take me a while to come up with a design and materials but was well worth the wait. Enjoy!

pic1

pic2

pic3
Hector

Post by Hector »

Just bought this boat trailer about 2 weeks ago. Put unistrut on it and had a question. What would be the best way
to keep the unistrut from moving back and forth. Can I weld the unistrut to the galvanized trailer. I wouldnt do it
but my uncle welds and was wondering if it is possible before I ask. Thanks for your help!
Attachments
IMG_1853.JPG
msr

Post by msr »

If you spaced it out, I don't think drilling a second hole and bolting it would cause any harm?
G-Man
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by G-Man »

Hector wrote:Just bought this boat trailer about 2 weeks ago. Put unistrut on it and had a question. What would be the best way
to keep the unistrut from moving back and forth. Can I weld the unistrut to the galvanized trailer. I wouldnt do it
but my uncle welds and was wondering if it is possible before I ask. Thanks for your help!
Are you putting two sets of unistruts, one for the front and one for the back? If yes, I'd brace it with an L-bracket from the front, top to the bottom, back unistrut. That's what I did to mine and had no problem of it moving back and forth.

G-Man
repkepr

Post by repkepr »

x2
I would either get it welded this would make it alot stronger-
add a second bolt-
add the L bracket-
You put that much weight up the and you get alot of movement from the kayaks on a rack. Make sure you brace or weld it good. Gussets in all corners is the best way.
Attachments
yak rack 5.jpg
SurfMonkey

Post by SurfMonkey »

modestmike,

You need to get you about a 1 3/4" to 2" drop on your trailer hitch. Will level out your trailer and keep it from swaying at higher speeds...
Hector

Post by Hector »

Thanks guys! I ended up drilling another hole and it worked out great. I will be adding more support, like welding,
but it made a world of difference with that second hole.
Mr. Green

Post by Mr. Green »

been building this a little at a time with the help of Kingz, and finally got my little harbor freight trailer finished today...

FULLMAG

Post by FULLMAG »

The trailer started as a free boat trailer. I have lifted the trailer to match the jeep it will be pulled with. The top center will hold 1 kayak. I may try to carry two kayaks on top, one kayak on each side of the center support. The lower section holds 2 kayaks. An 8’ storage box stores paddles and fishing rods etc. I found locking cable reels from Wally World. The 15’ long retractable cable is run thru the scuppers and then locked back to the trailer. These are installed inside the storage box as well. I still need to install rod holders in the box. The front will have a triangular storage box for waders and PFDs. A spare tire storage lift from a pickup will be installed under the trailer tongue. The tire will be lowered with a crack handle. I really need to install clear LED lights in the storage box as well as on the trailer to aide in unloading in the dark. I made the axle assembly movable. Its angle support will slide so I can adjust the placement of the axle. I flipped the dropped axle and placed it under the springs. The lift is awesome. I am running 31” tall tires. The trailer pulls great and I can still unhook and move the trailer by hand with out a jack. The jack is only there to keep the trailer level when unhooked. I wanted a trailer to go down the beach without fear of getting hung up in a gully. The next test is down the south shoreline of east matty.
8.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
Lat22

Post by Lat22 »

modestmike

Post by modestmike »

SurfMonkey wrote:modestmike,

You need to get you about a 1 3/4" to 2" drop on your trailer hitch. Will level out your trailer and keep it from swaying at higher speeds...

I did get an adjustable one from Lowes...just havent taken any pics of it yet. I took it to SPI a few times already going about 70mph with no problems. It was actually a 7" drop.
MrStinkyPickle

Post by MrStinkyPickle »

hey guys, couldn't help but notice that a ton of people have used Unistrut channel and brackets on rigging out their trailers. Please let me know if any of ya'll are thinking about any channel or fittings from their line. I work for a construction supply company and we are a huge stocking distributor for their entire line. We are north of downtown just outisde 610 loop. I have been in Home Depot and seen what they charge for the strut. Don't buy from them unless you have to, I would be more than happy to use my employee discount on anything in their product line for any fellow yakers. Check out their webpage http://www.unistrut.us/ and give me a pm or call our office (and yes you can even ask for StinkyPickle and they will send you to me)713-692-2323 not trying to plug our business, we just stock a large selection of their material and the brackets to go with it. I am fixing to be modding a trailer with a buddy and we are looking at using the "TeleStrut" system. I'll get some before and after pics up. Here is just an idea of the price difference, hope this is ok with the moderators just these days any extra cash can go for gas! :roll:

1 5/8" 12gauge Half Slot strut -
Home Depot - 1.79ft
MrStinkyPickle - TKF brother in law special - 1.07
G-Man
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by G-Man »

MrStinkyPickle wrote:hey guys, couldn't help but notice that a ton of people have used Unistrut channel and brackets on rigging out their trailers. Please let me know if any of ya'll are thinking about any channel or fittings from their line. I work for a construction supply company and we are a huge stocking distributor for their entire line. We are north of downtown just outisde 610 loop. I have been in Home Depot and seen what they charge for the strut. Don't buy from them unless you have to, I would be more than happy to use my employee discount on anything in their product line for any fellow yakers. Check out their webpage http://www.unistrut.us/ and give me a pm or call our office (and yes you can even ask for StinkyPickle and they will send you to me)713-692-2323 not trying to plug our business, we just stock a large selection of their material and the brackets to go with it. I am fixing to be modding a trailer with a buddy and we are looking at using the "TeleStrut" system. I'll get some before and after pics up. Here is just an idea of the price difference, hope this is ok with the moderators just these days any extra cash can go for gas! :roll:

1 5/8" 12gauge Half Slot strut -
Home Depot - 1.79ft
MrStinkyPickle - TKF brother in law special - 1.07
Thanks. Will definitely keep you in mind for any future builds.

G-Man
double_A_ron

Post by double_A_ron »

Here is my build, pretty simple, but a lot of work for me who is not too handy. Let me know if you have any comments. I know the bolts are too long, but I was worried that there would be too much deflection in the PVC and that I would have to stack two 2x4's or lay them on their side. Also the section where the bolts are in Home Depot looked like a hurricane had just passed through there, that was the only size I could find 4 of a kind. I saw on one forum that you can use the PVC as rod holders, so I may incorporate that in the future and cut down those bolts. I should be able to try it out this weekend.
Attachments
IMG_20110513_194841.jpg
IMG_20110513_194847.jpg
IMG_20110513_194859.jpg
jsharp

Post by jsharp »

double_A_ron wrote:Here is my build, pretty simple, but a lot of work for me who is not too handy. Let me know if you have any comments. I know the bolts are too long, but I was worried that there would be too much deflection in the PVC and that I would have to stack two 2x4's or lay them on their side. Also the section where the bolts are in Home Depot looked like a hurricane had just passed through there, that was the only size I could find 4 of a kind. I saw on one forum that you can use the PVC as rod holders, so I may incorporate that in the future and cut down those bolts. I should be able to try it out this weekend.

I like your trailer its simple and cheap and looks like it would work great. I would cut down the bolts and put a cap on one end and screw cap on the other and use it as a rod holder but looks good to me
V8_rob

Post by V8_rob »

I picked this trailer up off ebay. It looked a little sad though it was extremely sound and had bags of potential.

I can lay 2 Big Game kayaks face down, side by side, or 4 kayaks on J-bars.

Inside is a massive amount of useable space with a double jerry can holder and spare wheel mounted aft. There's a large externally accessible cupboard which I still have plans for, drawers, slide out cooker, etc.

Total cost was under $600

More pictures and the articles can be found here:

http://www.saltwaterkayakfisherman.com/ ... art-1.html
http://www.saltwaterkayakfisherman.com/ ... art-2.html
msr

Post by msr »

Quite the interesting trailer.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

Why hasn't this post been made into a Sticky yet :?

Mike
jsharp

Post by jsharp »

here is my trailer i just bought it was used to haul bicycles its 6 foot wide and 15 foot long I haven't started working on it yet but after looking at all the trailers on here i have lots of ideas of how to build it
Attachments
GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
GetAttachment.aspx.jpg (7.99 KiB) Viewed 23773 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (8.92 KiB) Viewed 23773 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (7.64 KiB) Viewed 23773 times