Post your trailer!!!!

jlyoung08

Re: Post your trailer!!!!

Post by jlyoung08 »

For you guys hauling just one kayak on your trailer how well does it tow?
Toolman
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Toolman »

4smallfri

Post by 4smallfri »

I recently built my kayak trailer, and this forum post was such a great resource, I wanted to share what I came up with.

I had three constraints. 1). My garage door is 76 inches tall. 2) I wanted to take up no more than 5' in my garage, as this is my storage solution as well. 3) I needed to transport at least 5 Kayaks.

I started with the 12" tire model Harbor Freight trailer.

I added a 10' piece of 2" steel tube for the tongue (new coupler required, 8 bucks at HF), that is adjustable so that I can slide it in to fit the garage.

My T-Bars are welded to the front and back of the trailer frame. I boxed the frame with 1/8" flat steel for extra support on the front frame and rear frame bar. This gave me a distance of 54 inches from end to end for my cross bars. I also added a 2" spine welded in the center of the trailer from the front of the frame to the rear of the frame. I felt that before adding this piece, the trailer was still pretty flimsy. The cross bars are 1/8" steel 1" square tube.

The 2 bottom kayaks are on J-Racks mounted on 26" bars. This kept my width down to 52" to meet my space constraint. The Hobie Outback is very wide, so the height on that side is 36", the other side is 30". This allowed me to put our kids kayaks on J Racks above the Tarpon 120 and steel clear the garage door, although just barely. Our tandem Pelican rides above the Hobie. I also welded new brake light brackets to extend the lights out about 3 inches. Our state doesn't have a distance from load rule, or I would have put them on a removable T-Bar.

I have enough room to store paddles next to the kids kayaks, and fishing rods between them.

So far I have about 600 miles on the trailer and I absolutely love it! We are using the Yaks every weekend as a family, and I usually hook up for a paddle mid week. It is so easy to wheel it out of the garage (very light) and hook up and go. All I do is grab my life jacket box and I'm all set.

Link to full album: https://picasaweb.google.com/1073226841 ... directlink

Next up will be an addition of a removable rod box on top. (another idea I saw here!)
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

MattD wrote:After many nights of looking at ideas and countless trips to the hardware store, my first kayak trailer is finished. It started as a Harbor Freight trailer, a pile of SuperStrut and some scrap steel from the dumpster. I added a couple of coats of spray-on bedliner coating and a recycled battery box for tie-down and tools.
Special thanks to G-Man for answering my questions along the way!

This is the best build using a Harbor Freight trailer as a base with no welding that I have seen so far ..... :clap: :clap:
Good Job .. :wink:
surfers77
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfers77 »

Way to Go TD :clap: . That is a sweet trailer, and Yes..one of the best without welding. That is my weakness currently. trying to figure it out without welding. I am no handy man, nor do I have welding things. What was that that you used to go up n down and across?
nuts4hotwheels

Post by nuts4hotwheels »

I've never worked with unistrut. How do you attach them together to make a frame withou welding?
MattD

Post by MattD »

surfers77 wrote:Way to Go TD :clap: . That is a sweet trailer, and Yes..one of the best without welding. That is my weakness currently. trying to figure it out without welding. I am no handy man, nor do I have welding things. What was that that you used to go up n down and across?
Thanks for the feedback. The uprights are just 30" pieces of unstrut which are connected with 4 hole angle brackets available in the same aisle as the unstrut.

Access to a chop saw makes cutting the unstrut much much easier. Everything else was just bolted to the trailer through existing holes.
Good luck,
Matt
sleepyTX

Post by sleepyTX »

Harbor Freight
Set up to carry a Jackson Big Tuna and a Heritage Marquesa
Frame for second level is 2" angle iron with 2x10 along the sides to increase the rigidity.

TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

I'm glad that you spoke up Matt .... I was commenting on His HarborFreight no weld conversion :mrgreen:

These are my two kayak trailers :wink:

GeneralButtNaked

Post by GeneralButtNaked »

jchawkjr

Post by jchawkjr »

I was getting tired of sliding my wet smelly Tarpon 100 into the back of the Roadtrek. The last straw was when I drove 40 miles and at the put in, found the paddle was still leaning against the wall in the garage. :roll:

Harbor freight 40 X 48 with 12 inch wheels. Carries Yak and truck box for associated "stuff" (like paddle).

Only think I may have done different is going lighter on the tongue. It's 2 1/2 square 3/16 thick. Thinking I may have been okay with the 11 Gauge.

jlyoung08

Post by jlyoung08 »

GeneralButtNaked wrote:Image

very cool setup.
joefla12

Post by joefla12 »

holds 4 kayaks,8 rod holders and 4 paddles .installing a cutting board will post when done...built it for funand it works great
joefla12

Post by joefla12 »

my newest version
Attachments
IMG_20120813_200336.jpg
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Post your trawiler!!!!

Post by TDD »

joefla12 wrote:holds 4 kayaks,8 rod holders and 4 paddles .installing a cutting board will post when done...built it for funand it works great
very nice .... a lotta work went into this one
my only suggestion would be to run a 1/4" coated cable (HomeDepot) from near the top of the front center post back to near the coupler on the tongue with a turnbuckle to keep it tight. This would certainly help to support the weight/wind force from the loaded top rack when traveling down the road .. :)
flatoutfish

Post by flatoutfish »

joefla12 wrote:holds 4 kayaks,8 rod holders and 4 paddles .installing a cutting board will post when done...built it for funand it works great

I do like the updated version.. our trip to the everglades with your last version was great. this one i think will hold up much better and matches your truck... :lol: ... i think the fact that the upper deck is capable of holding better than 400lbs is testament to how sturdy it is. good job on the trailer.
Hookspit

Post by Hookspit »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345933580.503934.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345933592.538441.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345933605.086866.jpg
bennzino

Post by bennzino »

Nice little 16 footer.
Attachments
IMG_1124.JPG
IMG_1177.JPG
IMG_1188.JPG
steveowen1

Post by steveowen1 »

IMG_0322-2.jpg
IMG_0322.JPG
I have a Jeep Wrangler and initially looked at roof racks for hauling my kayaks. I decided to go with a trailer instead because I want to be able to haul bikes and other 'stuff' occasionally. After some internet searches to get some ideas, this is what I chose to build - I have less than $1000 in it.

*Used Lowes 5x8 trailer with a mesh floor - I was trying to go as light as possible
*Used UWS truckbox for dry storage
*Angle iron for the uprights and square tubing for the crossbars - I have a friend who handled the welding for me
*Malone SeaWing kayak saddles
Leon LaGachette

Post by Leon LaGachette »

4x4 trailer with 12" wheels from Harbor Freight.

Added 2.5/2.5 square aluminum tubing - 9ft in length tied to the middle cross member.

Added pool noodles on middle cross member, rear one will have Yakima Rollers fitted and front has Yakima Mako Saddles fitted.

Have to figure something out for the rods, probably PVC.

Thanks for all the help.

mikedude

Post by mikedude »

GREAT info here! PU a HF 4/8 today and put most of it together. This page gave me some great ideas. My back cannot handling putting it on my jeep or burb any more.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

xlsportster0 wrote:Here is the Original Post about this Trailer!
http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... 3&t=119229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

very nice
hickoxp

Not a trailer, but...

Post by hickoxp »

I have yet to find a trailer that will do what I want it to this is my solution for now. The frame is a invisa-rack with home made padding. I can load and be on the road with what you see here in less then 30 minutes. You can see a rope sling under the bottom boat it guides the boat up into a bridle up front.

The whole thing breaks down in 15 minutes and I store to padding in the bed box. It is solid and once the straps are snugged up there is zero movement. I don't trust that much money that far up in the air so I am looking to add some safety lines fore and aft. Suggestions are welcome.
Loaded_Truck.JPG
Boats_closeup.JPG
Wpart063

Post by Wpart063 »

Here's my Trailer......
Attachments
Trailer 3.png
Trailer 2.png
Trailer 1.png
kayaktx7
Location: NW Houston, TX Cypress Ride: 2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14 & Perception 12

Post by kayaktx7 »

This is my trailer after two designs and lots of planing and measure, it is super solid and it was made to hold my two kayaks and some extra stuff, but at the end realize that can hold four kayaks with out any trouble so I'm happy.

Hope you guys like it.
Attachments
my rig002.jpg
my rig003.jpg
my rig004.jpg