Post your trailer!!!!

Boomy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Post your trailer!!!!

Post by Boomy »

rnjsharp wrote:here is my trailer i just bought it was used to haul bicycles its 6 foot wide and 15 foot long I haven't started working on it yet but after looking at all the trailers on here i have lots of ideas of how to build it
If you need help let me know. You could say I that have some mechanical skills :) (Maint Supervisor)
V8_rob

Post by V8_rob »

It's been really windy the last week so I started to look at the externally lockable cupboard in my trailer featured earlier in the thread.

Anyway, I was bored and headed into the garage ;)

Lots of potential.. just seemed so wasted. Anyway. I had a sheet of plywood loafing in the shed and some old drawer runners... that was all it took :P

I might put a couple of basic dividers into the drawers to make life simpler... not sure yet.

The very top shelf slides and and will soon be sporting one of these fold up gas cookers..

It'll be handy for camping, making up a brew/scran before paddling out, etc.

It's still windy... what next :D
MONSTER
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by MONSTER »

V8_rob wrote:It's been really windy the last week so I started to look at the externally lockable cupboard in my trailer featured earlier in the thread.

Lots of potential.. just seemed so wasted. Anyway. I had a sheet of plywood loafing in the shed and some old drawer runners... that was all it took :P

I might put a couple of basic dividers into the drawers to make life simpler... not sure yet.

The very top shelf slides and and will soon be sporting one of these fold up gas cookers..

Coming together nicely. Cool trailer.
C-Rob

Post by C-Rob »

SurfMonkey wrote:modestmike,

You need to get you about a 1 3/4" to 2" drop on your trailer hitch. Will level out your trailer and keep it from swaying at higher speeds...
Just to clarify, to those that look into this thread for advice, lowering the hitch (or, tongue height when towed) will not correct trailer sway if other elements are not correct, such as tongue weight, which is the most common cause of trailer sway.......
modestmike

Post by modestmike »

Good thing my trailer doesn't sway.....or my jeep...and I don't even have sway bars on it.
tknjk

Post by tknjk »

G-Man wrote:Here's mine. Its a Harbor Freight-1090 Lb. Capacity 40-1/2" x 48" Mini Utility Trailer with 12" Four-Lug Wheels and Tires, extended the tongue and added 2 sets of bunkers for 2 kayaks.

I just bought the same trailer, and havn't even put it together yet. I got a 12 ft. section of 3" square tubing
my question is this. how did you bolt the square tubing to the trailer frame? Did you use long bolts, and go
all the way through the tubing, or did you cut a hole in the tubing so you could stick a socket through to
tighten the bolts on the inside of the tubing?
SurfMonkey

Post by SurfMonkey »

Use some big "U Bolts"
elementfiftyfour

Post by elementfiftyfour »

Here is mine finally.

Last edited by elementfiftyfour on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
calebgroom

Post by calebgroom »

Many thanks to everybody who has added to this thread. The ideas shared here have easily saved me $600 or more.
imacintyre

Post by imacintyre »

Been watching this thread for a long time; now I get to add to it! Thanks to James at SW Paddlesports and the guys at ACK for getting me going!
Attachments
Spring 2011 470.jpg
Spring 2011 469.jpg
Spring 2011 468.jpg
back4more

Post by back4more »

G-Man wrote:
msr wrote:
G-Man wrote:Here's mine. Its a Harbor Freight-1090 Lb. Capacity 40-1/2" x 48" Mini Utility Trailer with 12" Four-Lug Wheels and Tires, extended the tongue and added 2 sets of bunkers for 2 kayaks.
G-Man, what do you think of your trailer? I am looking at one of those.
Its done me great, no problems... Have since updated it a bit since those pics though. Here are the updated pics.
g-man, awesome trailer. I would like to improve my trailer so that it has the double decker bunks like yours. do you use your trailer for daily storage as well? and those bunks you use, are they 5 foot long? provide enough support?

BTW, here is my trailer

back4more

Post by back4more »

so I did a little modifying since posting the pic above. the top cross bars are 32" wide and can carry a third yak if needed (I'll put blue foam on them soon). the bottom supports are 5' wide and about 6' apart.

Turner

Post by Turner »

Got me a new trailer for the OK Prowler Trident 15.... I plan on modifying it to hold two yaks... It was originally built to haul a 17' canoe. I plan on adding a storage box to the front just behind the tongue and add a removable cross bar to the center two sets on uprights to lash the yak to. a Shorter yak could still go on the existing base, thus two yaks.
It is approx 40" wide outside of fender to outside of fender. This works for me since I have limited room to get it into the back yard due to a retaining wall and a brick pillar... :x

I also plan on removing the angled boards and possibly decking the base for multi-use....

G-Man
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by G-Man »

tknjk wrote:I just bought the same trailer, and havn't even put it together yet. I got a 12 ft. section of 3" square tubing
my question is this. how did you bolt the square tubing to the trailer frame? Did you use long bolts, and go
all the way through the tubing, or did you cut a hole in the tubing so you could stick a socket through to
tighten the bolts on the inside of the tubing?
Sorry, just saw this today??? I used the long bolts, figured it would hold better.
back4more wrote: g-man, awesome trailer. I would like to improve my trailer so that it has the double decker bunks like yours. do you use your trailer for daily storage as well? and those bunks you use, are they 5 foot long? provide enough support?

BTW, here is my trailer

Yes, kayaks get washed off after every trip and gets put back on the trailer and in the garage it goes. Yes, 5 foot treated lumber wrapped with outdoor carpeting.
Rollin

Post by Rollin »

I have been looking to change my trailer for hauling my Yaks. Up till now I’ve been using my 16’ double axle flatbed work trailer. It’s not a real big trailer but way more than I need to haul two Yaks. Recently on Craigslist I found a boat trailer in Kansas City. It was big enough and had 15” tires and at $200 the price was right. Friday morning we were nearing completion on a project and ran out of material, so I decided to hit a few licks on the trailer. We got a lot done and then over the weekend I was able to get enough done on it to make it road worthy.

I will in the future add storage boxes, LED work lights, new fenders and enough crossbars to carry six yaks. I want to reach the point where all I have to do to go fishing is, hookup my trailer already loaded with the yaks and gear. Grab a few snacks and roll.

So far it’s looking pretty good, I ran errands this afternoon with two Yaks on it and it all went smooth.

KRISJEEP6

Post by KRISJEEP6 »

Converted jetski trailer.
Attachments
IMG167.jpg
IMG166.jpg
ranchdog

Post by ranchdog »

My Jeep is my trailer. Yaks on top and everything else inside except for six rods that can be mounted three on each side on the ends of the roof rack bars. I wouldn't have posted this except that my bride is going through the "Post your trailer" thread and remarked how many trailers were being pulled by Jeeps. I tried to explain to her that besides the obvious of not launching at the public boat ramp, lots of "kids" own kayaks and lots of "kids" like Jeeps. Obviously I am one of them. Be a "kid" forever! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Attachments
SDC10454.JPG
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Here's my Rack&Roll purchased before Yakima purchased the company. I feel that the SportsRig is a better trailer and it's American made.

THX Steve
Attachments
072.JPG
020.JPG
Throttlehead250
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Throttlehead250 »

i built my trailer to haul my pinstriping gear to car/truck/motorcycle shows and to hunt off of but i use it for carrying my buddy and I's kayaks long distances. looking to build a smaller one soon though.
Attachments
IMG_20110709_082914.jpg
215959_193460404032324_100001050980963_553795_5745352_n.jpg
nick220722

Post by nick220722 »

I converted a boat trailer to my kayak trailer capable of carrying two kayaks side by side. I plan on adding a box to the tongue of it to hold life jackets, anchors, etc. and the spare tire...and then I had to buy a used SUV to haul it!

mmmooretx

Post by mmmooretx »

V8_rob wrote:It's been really windy the last week so I started to look at the externally lockable cupboard in my trailer featured earlier in the thread.

I really like what you accomplished! The stove is great too. I would hate to think of what it would cost to export to the USA as I have never seen a trailer like you started with on this side of the pond. Well done!
lptxguy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by lptxguy »

I forgot to take a before pic but a tkf'er posted a trailer for sale and it was exactly what i had so thanks for the pic. I converted an old jet ski trailer to a PA hauler. I added the cradles, decked it, spray painted it and used the magnetic harbor freight lights for simple removal.
Attachments
after.jpg
BEFORE.JPG
txborn27

Post by txborn27 »

Finally finished my HF trailer and took it to Caddo Lake State Park. It rode well and had room for a good amount of storage. The total round trip was 10-12 hours of driving time and there were no issues.
Attachments
trailer pic2.jpg
trailer pic1.jpg
Shredded_Wheat

Post by Shredded_Wheat »

Great looking trailer Txborn. I'm looking at doing something similar. Thanks for the ideas and high rez pics.
CR
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CR »

txborn27 wrote:Finally finished my HF trailer and took it to Caddo Lake State Park. It rode well and had room for a good amount of storage. The total round trip was 10-12 hours of driving time and there were no issues.
Good job! Almost exactly what I have in mind!

Which trailer is that?