Post your trailer!!!!

SurfMonkey

Re: Post your trailer!!!!

Post by SurfMonkey »

I pull my trailer (12" tires) with 2 yaks carried one on top of the other down the interstate at 70 mph with no issues.
wolfewiz

Post by wolfewiz »

SurfMonkey wrote:I pull my trailer (12" tires) with 2 yaks carried one on top of the other down the interstate at 70 mph with no issues.

Thanks for the reply. I will post my trailer as I get further along....I'm in Kentucky, but I love this thread.
Grant.UNT

Post by Grant.UNT »

I just bought my first fishing Kayak yesterday. I got an Old Town Caspian. I read that it is the same as the OK Scrambler XT with a couple enhancements. Academy in Plano, on clearance for $299. My house is being built by Hidden Cove marina right now. building/Modifying a HF trailer is my next project so that i can tow with my Jeep.

Amazing projects here. I can't wait to start mine.
djNorTex

Post by djNorTex »

DFW project trailer - not mine.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/3566950191.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
djNorTex

Post by djNorTex »

added a little paint ;)
unfinished.jpg
finished1.jpg
finished2.jpg
Volkswatson

Post by Volkswatson »

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I have a question:

Can I legally mount my new tail lights on back corner, or do they have to stick out to match fender width?
Attachments
image.jpg
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

The one's on my trailer are inside of my fenders like you're wanting to place your lights. I put red reflectors on my fender facing back, just to be sure.
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

Volkswatson wrote:Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I have a question:

Can I legally mount my new tail lights on back corner, or do they have to stick out to match fender width?
Put them on the back corner, you'll be fine. Right now I have 4 trailers of various sizes and they all have the lights on the back and only one has anything on the fenders.
mgeiger

Post by mgeiger »

Lots of ideas here. Thank you. I was also inspired by a guy on one of Land Cruiser forums to build a camping/kayak hauler. I need to buy or make some real saddles, but pool noodles worked for today's maiden voyage.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363461664.549699.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363461642.291792.jpg
Poolio

Post by Poolio »

I'm selling my latest build, so I figured I should post it here before it leaves me. It started life as a single jet ski trailer. I extended the tongue, added the upper frame/forward support, added LED trailer lights, added hobie cradles for a PA, and painted with bedliner. Then I added the folding tongue adapter so it'd fit in a crowded garage. It'll make a solid trailer for it's next owner.

-Poo
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Here is my "new" addition. Sure makes pulling my RIDE 115 around easy.

Galvanized McLain trailer from Academy ($500.00) added the front wheel; two aluminum gutters; couple of 1 x 3's for stiffness; and indoor/outdoor carpet on top.

Love it. It could be converted to a two yak setup if needed. Rich

msr

Post by msr »

mgeiger, I like your trailer a lot. Very useful.
mgeiger

Post by mgeiger »

msr wrote:mgeiger, I like your trailer a lot. Very useful.
Thanks. Here's a couple more shots. One of which you can see my full Toyota and a half rig. I know its pretty damn red, and my neighbors surely talk, but what the hell - I'm made it to that point in life where I really don't care what people think. I painted the trailer to match my Cruiser. It weighs 4-500# empty but balanced on 30" tires is easily moved around by hand. There's a matching spare underneath. I wired the original 1980 lights to run on a trailer harness. It rides very smoothly. I bed-lined it. The crossbars are Thule. I have 2 more crossbars I plan to run across between the ones pictured here. I plan to add storage boxes and rod racks and paddle holders mounted under the crossbars. Its truly multi-purpose for Home Depot runs, camping trips, beach trips etc, but even from my first sketch of it, I included mounting a yak, long before I had a yak.

Next order of business - some real saddles. I would like to store the boat like you see it here, because its easy to work on and load the hatches for trips, so I need to spread the load. Any recommendations for any particular Yakima or Thule saddles?
Attachments
3-16-14_gar.JPG
3-16-13_rear.JPG
On The Bay

Post by On The Bay »

richg99 wrote:Here is my "new" addition. Sure makes pulling my RIDE 115 around easy.

Galvanized McLain trailer from Academy ($500.00) added the front wheel; two aluminum gutters; couple of 1 x 3's for stiffness; and indoor/outdoor carpet on top.

Love it. It could be converted to a two yak setup if needed. Rich

Good looking trailer rich! Do you find the small wheels to be an problem
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

re wheels...not at all. Makes it easier to move around when not attached to the van. While I haven't had it all that long, I drive at 75 mph for an hour or two to most of my locations.

I figure that..... it is a 500 lb capacity trailer. My yak weighs under 80 lbs. I am putting far LESS pressure on the wheels than the weight for which it is designed.

I carry a spare, just in case. Rich
On The Bay

Post by On The Bay »

Thanks for the info Rich. I was "eye balling" those trailers the other day. I sure do like the idea of an all aluminum trailer.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

It is NOT an aluminum trailer. I couldn't afford it if it was. The deck is aluminum..but that is a very small portion of the overall trailer. Galvanized steel makes up the rest of it. Rich
FJCruisin

Post by FJCruisin »

Got my Malone set up for the new PA 12. One 10' section of pvc cut in half and some brackets, all from Home Depot for less than $30. I had some Thule "Glide and Set" saddles laying around and installed them too. They arent supporting the kayak, but just slide them on after the kayak was resting on the pvc bunks. I figured they will help guide it into position and also act as a preventative measure in case something were to happen to the pvc. However, its probably overkill, but might as well use them. The pvc lines up with the scuppers and it seems very stabile. I can sit in the kayak and bounce up and down. The plan is to store the Pro Angler on the Malone trailer, so I am ready to go at a moments notice.
uploadfromtaptalk1363835597573.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363835552774.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1363835535806.jpg
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

"Ready to go on a moments notice"...Yep...that is the feature that I like best about having a a trailer.

Now, I still keep my crate; trolling motor; battery etc. inside of my van. I don't want that extra weight on the yak in the heat of my boat barn.

But, I can pull it out; hook it up; and be on my way in minutes.

I think it was MPG2 who said his load-up time was cut from 45 minutes to 15 minutes. I agree. rich
japacejr

Post by japacejr »

Finally after 6 months I get to post my trailer here, especially since I studied this thread repeatedly when I was thinking about what to purchase/build. So thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

This started life as a Harbor Freight 4’ x 8’ Super Duty Trailer and up until about 2 weeks ago all I had done was put it together.

But we decided to join some family in Galveston for the weekend and I had to get busy.

A buddy helped by welding an extended tongue and I had previously bought the stake pockets so I was able to add a floor & sides.

The rack was the simplest (and least expensive) option I could think of since I know I will be redesigning that as I know better what I want & need.

We hauled 2 kayaks, 3 bikes & 2 Stanley Tool Chests back and forth from McKinney to Galveston without any issues.

richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

japacejr....Nice! Love it when guys/gals get going and turn something into something ELSE!

That is the same trailer that I originally looked at. I chose a galvanized one since 90% of my yakking is in saltwater.

Nice work rich
premo

Post by premo »

Mine trailer started as a Northern Tool 4x8' fold up kit trailer. No welding, just bolt together. I added the deck, rails, rod holders and kayak saddles. Saddles are made from 1-1/2" PVC. Rails are 18"high and leave room under the kayaks for coolers and stuff. Light weight and pulls well. When not used for yak, saddles and rod holders are easily removed for use as a regular utility trailer. Over winter when not used much, I just remove the rails and fold up trailer, needs 24"x 65" for storage.

Folded up in garage
IMG-20130213-00488.jpg
tra.jpg
dbrown2

Post by dbrown2 »

Hello Everyone,

First I would like to say a thank you to G-Man. His photo's and help to questions made this effort easier.
I am still working on the trailer (bunks need to be straightened and lights....) But I have noticed the (superStruts) have a little play in them. side to side mostly and back to front a little less.

I thought about placing a X flat steel on the left, right, and top of the frame. (X meaning front top to bottom back and so on). If I do this should I cut the flat steel to be a little short and then pull the frame in?

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndjp9z73ki133 ... 225003.jpg[/img]

Any suggestions would be great.

Love the forum and the photo's.
japacejr

Post by japacejr »

richg99 wrote:japacejr....Nice! Love it when guys/gals get going and turn something into something ELSE!

That is the same trailer that I originally looked at. I chose a galvanized one since 90% of my yakking is in saltwater.

Nice work rich
Thanks. I am really glad to have the ability to haul these kayaks around now, hopefully that means we will be using them more now.
Last edited by japacejr on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ksig512

Post by ksig512 »

Started mine this weekend. Going to sand and repaint and get materials for my holders...
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1364167090711.jpg