Scubasteve
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Scubasteve »

Very cool!!

sS
fangard

Post by fangard »

I am making a set of these this weekend in anticipation of my first trip to the beach on the 15th. I found the suction cups on e-bay if anyone is looking for them. Prices range from 10-40 dollars, so make sure you shop around.

Take care,

fangard
Olde Farte

Post by Olde Farte »

Before jumping in and buying all the stuff like I did last month, you might want to make sure you can use the suction cups on your vehicle.
I have a Dodge Nitro and the Nitro doesn't have a big enough flat area to get the suction cups to work. Even the back widshield has enough curvature to only allow one cup at a time to grab hold. Ended up almost tearing my torn up shoulders the rest of the way. I ended up suspending a roller made up of a 1/2" PVC pipe inserted through the close cell pipe insulation from the roof rack over the areqa just above the back window & it works great to mount my Ride 135 without scratching the paint on the Nitro.

I may grow older, but I'll never grow up! :wink:
twiceayear
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by twiceayear »

Olde Farte wrote:Before jumping in and buying all the stuff like I did last month, you might want to make sure you can use the suction cups on your vehicle.
I have a Dodge Nitro and the Nitro doesn't have a big enough flat area to get the suction cups to work. Even the back widshield has enough curvature to only allow one cup at a time to grab hold. Ended up almost tearing my torn up shoulders the rest of the way. I ended up suspending a roller made up of a 1/2" PVC pipe inserted through the close cell pipe insulation from the roof rack over the areqa just above the back window & it works great to mount my Ride 135 without scratching the paint on the Nitro.
I would just get a heat gun and heat up above the cup and bend it down a little to accommodate the curvature of the surface to which you are about to stick them to. Sorry to hear about your shoulders.
Last edited by twiceayear on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ms addicted
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ms addicted »

Great idea, very creative! Of course, my car is usually too dirty to be suction cupping anything to it, lol. Not to mention its too late for my car too but with the next vehicle I will be wanting to be more careful. Of course, hopefully I wont be loading on top of that one.
Yakit

Post by Yakit »

Very nice!!!!
plumberman

Post by plumberman »

Awesome idea!! I am going to use this setup on the back door of my suburban, that way i can lean against it and slide it up this until i reach my yakima saddle!! It is not the easiest loading a Drifter on top of a suburban by yourself and not scratching anything. Also to help with the fit problem between the pipe just use purple primer and high pressure blue glue and you won't have any problems!! The blue glue is much heavier bodied than clear glue, and you won't break the glue joint ever, the pipe will break first, trust me look at my username :wink: You must use the primer for the strength though, it softens both sides of the pvc to create a weld with the glue. :D
biketx2812

Post by biketx2812 »

I want to thank the OP for this great idea. I just got finished making a version of this loader so I can clear the rear wing on my car. Thanks to FishinRod for the Hully Rollers too. Works great! Here's some pics:

All loaded - just need to tie down and go
bilagaana

Re: Homemade Kayak Loader using PVC pipes and Suction Cups

Post by bilagaana »

Hello,

I really like your homemade kayak loader design and was hoping to copy it, but when I visited Harbor Freight's website, I couldn't find that 4-cup suction model you used; I was wondering when you purchased it and if you can recommend any other stores that might sell it? I've tried the typical google searches for a "4-cup" suction cup, but with no luck.

Thanks

Joseph
CelticKid

Post by CelticKid »

Bravo
carby

Post by carby »

I purchased these and followed OP's instructions, works great!

http://www.amazon.com/Quad-head-Suction ... 372&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total cost around $35
Attachments
IMG_3227.JPG
twiceayear
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by twiceayear »

carby wrote:I purchased these and followed OP's instructions, works great!

http://www.amazon.com/Quad-head-Suction ... 372&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total cost around $35
That picture is too pretty to be that small. Here is a bigger version

Good job!! Interesting also that I can't find it at Harbor Freight anymore. Thanks for the new link to Amazon for other folks.
twiceayear
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re:

Post by twiceayear »

biketx2812 wrote:I want to thank the OP for this great idea. I just got finished making a version of this loader so I can clear the rear wing on my car. Thanks to FishinRod for the Hully Rollers too. Works great! Here's some pics:

My daughter has an Subaru Outback Legacy (somewhat like yours). If you don't mind, I will copy this design from you. Good job.
bilagaana

Post by bilagaana »

Hello,

Very cool idea. I want to copy that design and visited Harbor Freight's website, but couldn't find any 4-cup suction cup models and wanted to know if you could recommend any other companies that might sell it? I tried several web searches, but no luck. could you tell me when you bought that suction cup model?

Thanks

joe
twiceayear
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by twiceayear »

bilagaana wrote:Hello,

Very cool idea. I want to copy that design and visited Harbor Freight's website, but couldn't find any 4-cup suction cup models and wanted to know if you could recommend any other companies that might sell it? I tried several web searches, but no luck. could you tell me when you bought that suction cup model?

Thanks

joe
Bilagaana, read a few posts up. Harbor Freight apparently does not carry this item anymore. But try the link from Carby's post. Good luck to you.

http://www.amazon.com/Quad-head-Suction ... 372&sr=8-1
jsuber

Post by jsuber »

I would try to avoid unnecessary weight on the windows.
twiceayear
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by twiceayear »

jsuber wrote:I would try to avoid unnecessary weight on the windows.
I think my rear windshield can take twice or three times the weight I current put on it when I load/unload but since we live in a "I'll sue your butts off world", let me say this now.

Disclaimer
"While making and using your own kayak loader, you may hurt yourself, damage your vehicle or hurt others and damage other peoples belonging. Do not to this if your windshield cannot take the weight of your kayak. Make sure you use your common sense. Load and unload the kayak empty. Do not put anything in the kayak while loading/unloading. Make sure you rinse of you car of any salt water/sand/mud as they will eat into the paint of your car. Clean of the circle marking from the suction cups or you may get permanent circle on your trunk/windshield. Do not use this if you already have cracks on your windshield. Do not load/unload while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Make sure you have "fall safety zone" where if accidentally drop the kayak that it falls to an empty area and not a vehicle parked next to you or on your expensive camera etc. Again, I cannot be sued for putting this idea into your head" :D
Last edited by twiceayear on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sinkingship
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by sinkingship »

To anyone concerned about resting anything on your back window...don't worry about it. All windows on you car with the exception of your windshield are made of tempered safety glass. While not indestrutcible...it is very very strong. So long as you don't ram the pointy end of your yak through it...you should be more than fine. (I work in the glass industry and have for 8 years now). However if you do manage to ram the end, or drop the end through the glass lemme know and I'll get you a replacement for cost, but it's up to you to pick it up :)
biketx2812

Re: Re:

Post by biketx2812 »

twiceayear wrote:
biketx2812 wrote:I want to thank the OP for this great idea. I just got finished making a version of this loader so I can clear the rear wing on my car. Thanks to FishinRod for the Hully Rollers too. Works great! Here's some pics:

My daughter has an Subaru Outback Legacy (somewhat like yours). If you don't mind, I will copy this design from you. Good job.
Thanks! Hope it works for you...
RPB
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by RPB »

Dude. that looks sturdy enough to load a jon boat or even a Hobie ProAngler :clap:
RPB
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by RPB »

since the idea was originally posted, it's amusing to go to the bottom of the amazon page "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" and see that peple who bought these also bought kayak cartop saddles, lol I bet glass installers are wondering what the relationship is.
tnkntx

Post by tnkntx »

Hi, I just wanted to say this is the very best idea and thank you so much for sharing everyone. I made a first rough design, modified slightly from the style here but works like a charm. I have 16', 75lb tandem OK and I now load/unload it without any assistance. (It's a tandem but I like to take it out alone too).

I made it so that the loader rests freely on a towel on the roof of my car, so when I take the kayak off, the entire loader pivots with the kayak and it can slide right off. Also, I didn't have any cool rollers so I put a V connector in the center that cradles the kayak as I slide it. A strap holds the legs tightly to the suction cups so it will pivot without slipping off the ends. There is alot of weight on the window but I truly doubt this is going to cause it to break. Excuse the bad pictures, I used my cell phone.
kayak loader.jpg
kayak loading.jpg
kayak loading.jpg (44.9 KiB) Viewed 15920 times
The next one I make will be of thicker PVC, slightly shorter legs and not so crooked (hehe).
TomC

Post by TomC »

tnkntx,
If you make it out of 1" PVC, you can slide a piece of 1 1/4" PVC right over it to make a good roller; it will fit fairly close, but it will rotate freely without a lot of slop.
marshallwhite

Post by marshallwhite »

I just ordered and rec'vd the 4-Way Sanoma from http://www.thetooldepot.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; plus shipping $30--Has anyone tried JB Weld on attaching the cup holder on to the PVC ?
malo pescado

Post by malo pescado »

You could also paint them burnt orange and put one on the hood for driving around in Austin.