Homemade Kayak Loader using PVC pipes and Suction Cups

twiceayear
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Homemade Kayak Loader using PVC pipes and Suction Cups

Post by twiceayear »

marshallwhite wrote:I just ordered and rec'vd the 4-Way Sanoma from http://www.thetooldepot.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; plus shipping $30--Has anyone tried JB Weld on attaching the cup holder on to the PVC ?
If you are using the exact parts that I'm using, then I would say yes. If you read the posts further up, I mentioned that the handle of the suction cups is a little to small compare to the inner diameter of the PVC pipe so there is actually a small gap. I went ahead and use the traditional cement for PVC pipe and luckily, it works

Another member also said to use teflon tape
J-Man wrote: You might actually put some PVC glue on there, then wrap teflon tape around that, then put more pvc glue, building up layers, then the actual pvc pipe. I used that technique before in the aquarium industry and it always worked for me.
I imaging with that much gap, the JB Weld would work nicely.

In either case, the point is you can use the initial design or modify it to your liking, build and most important, share it here. Every kayaker has different kayak and different car so I expect to see a lot of cool designs.
twiceayear
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by twiceayear »

I'm helping another member who is having problem posting images...

Here is another great loader from Gary White. Good job sir.

MudHole

Post by MudHole »

sinkingship wrote:To anyone concerned about resting anything on your back window...don't worry about it. All windows on you car with the exception of your windshield are made of tempered safety glass. While not indestrutcible...it is very very strong. So long as you don't ram the pointy end of your yak through it...you should be more than fine. (I work in the glass industry and have for 8 years now). However if you do manage to ram the end, or drop the end through the glass lemme know and I'll get you a replacement for cost, but it's up to you to pick it up :)

Sinkingship - wish I would have known last week and I would have paid you to replace my windshield....dang rocks!!!
yakcda

Post by yakcda »

I would like to thank twiceayear who created the original loader for his fabulous idea, information online and the feedback which he gave me. I originally saw his on youtube and I can see many people have benefited from his idea.

I made a variation based on his for a friend and thought it may be useful to someone so I am posting a few pics as well. For mine, I used a three suction cup loader as it was the only one readily available to me at the time and it was on sale. Also used was two skateboard wheels courtesy of a neighbours garbage, some pvc pipe, threaded rod, locknuts, and wooden dowel to reinforce the pvc and a piece of pvc blind I wrapped the dowl with for a tight fit before inserting. Mine was made higher than typical as there was a spoiler on my friends car and I didn't want to stress the spoiler by attaching it there so had to be high enough for clearance. The kayak flys up to the roof with the skateboard wheels.

tnkntx

Post by tnkntx »

yakcda wrote:I would like to thank twiceayear who created the original loader for his fabulous idea, information online and the feedback which he gave me. I originally saw his on youtube and I can see many people have benefited from his idea.

I made a variation based on his for a friend and thought it may be useful to someone so I am posting a few pics as well. For mine, I used a three suction cup loader as it was the only one readily available to me at the time and it was on sale. Also used was two skateboard wheels courtesy of a neighbours garbage, some pvc pipe, threaded rod, locknuts, and wooden dowel to reinforce the pvc and a piece of pvc blind I wrapped the dowl with for a tight fit before inserting. Mine was made higher than typical as there was a spoiler on my friends car and I didn't want to stress the spoiler by attaching it there so had to be high enough for clearance. The kayak flys up to the roof with the skateboard wheels

Great idea! I never thought of using skateboard wheels...I did try the larger pvc over the 1" to make a roller but the kayak slid off the side. Either way, I bought a trailer from someone on this forum so now I carry all my kayaks on the trailer, it's alot easier for me :)
Attachments
soultrailer.jpg
BigGabe63
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by BigGabe63 »

I have seen this over and over and man I think it has helped out so many people and I can see it helping out many more. I did a quick search and found that northern tool has them for $10 and they are in stock. If you have one close by or you can have it shipped for an additional $8
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... sku=160876" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by BigGabe63 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
V8_rob

Post by V8_rob »

Loved the design. Modified to suit my own needs i.e loading the yak upside down. Never been a problem on my 4x4, though with this new station wagon the wife is driving a loading bar was a must. Fitted the bill perfectly, cheers!

Note the prototype rudder guard in the photo below.

I upgraded rudder guard using a section of waste pipe, lagging and gaffer tape to protect to roof of the car.

drvasquez

Post by drvasquez »

High Guys,
I just bought my first kayak about a month ago, and I love it. As ya'll know loading a kayak onto a SUV is fustrating sometimes, and we spend alot time loading and unloading. I am interested on the loader you have fabricated, and would like to know the dimensions and the size of the PVC you have use. I do not have crossbars on my Ford Expedition so i just bought the already shape foam that Bass Pro Shop had for sale, and have been using that. I would appreciate if you could help me with this. One last question do you take them off after loading the yak?
drvasquez

Post by drvasquez »

do you happen to have the dimensions?
twiceayear
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by twiceayear »

drvasquez wrote:do you happen to have the dimensions?
The dimension are depended on the width of you kayak. Don't get hang up on exact dimensions. Just cut a couples of small pieces and dry fit it. If it's too wide then shorten it...Have fun :D
BigDozer66

Post by BigDozer66 »

Great idea and thanks for sharing. :clap:

BigDozer66
Swimfish

Post by Swimfish »

The cups can be ordered from grizzly.com
Item # H5848-4 Head Suction Cup. Price is $12.75, shipping cost me $7.70. Total $20.45
:) :) :)
MR_H66

Post by MR_H66 »

Wow! I NEED to make something like this. What a great idea. :D
Fished

Post by Fished »

Great ideas here. I just ordered the suction cups. It's for a friend of my wifes who has a jeep suv. She just bought a used ride from ACK. I showed her this tread. She liked the idea and thinks she can load and unload the kayak by herself using this method. She also liked the rollers and would like hers to have them. Does anyone know where to get those black rollers or can you recommed something else similar? She has a Jeep Liberty SUV. Thanks for the help.
jackinayak

Post by jackinayak »

Way cool idea.!!
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

Fished wrote:Great ideas here. I just ordered the suction cups. It's for a friend of my wifes who has a jeep suv. She just bought a used ride from ACK. I showed her this tread. She liked the idea and thinks she can load and unload the kayak by herself using this method. She also liked the rollers and would like hers to have them. Does anyone know where to get those black rollers or can you recommed something else similar? She has a Jeep Liberty SUV. Thanks for the help.
ACK should carry the rollers, or can do what the one guy did and make your own with some skateboard wheels.
BigSteveSA

Post by BigSteveSA »

What a great idea. I'll be making one for the '04 Altima.
DrawDawg007

Post by DrawDawg007 »

Here is a material list I put together for this project.
I am a bit unsatisfied with the end costs, $49.79+tax.

Material Description QUA Cost Sub-Total
1" SCH40 PVC 24" Length 2 1.77 3.54
1" SCH40 T 2 1.29 2.58
1" SCH40 Elbow 4 0.99 3.96
1" SCH40 Cap 4 0.69 2.76
PVC Cement/Primer 4oz Pk2 1 6.99 6.99
Tennis Ball Yellow Can 3 3 3.99 11.97
4 Head Suction Cup (Northern Tool + Eqpt.) 1 17.99 17.99 Shipping Included this part
TOTAL (less tax): 49.79
Attachments
I used a Forstner Bit 1 1/4" (or 1 1/8" I don't recall) to drill the holes in the tennis balls.  Burt rubber smells.  First I tried scissors and a knife but that returned sloppy results, not to mention dangerous.
I used a Forstner Bit 1 1/4" (or 1 1/8" I don't recall) to drill the holes in the tennis balls. Burt rubber smells. First I tried scissors and a knife but that returned sloppy results, not to mention dangerous.
Parts prepared.  I used teflon tape but used a razor blade to cut and expose a portion of the suction cup hangle through the teflon tape.  Once I put the PVC cement on there it bonded with the handle firmly.
Parts prepared. I used teflon tape but used a razor blade to cut and expose a portion of the suction cup hangle through the teflon tape. Once I put the PVC cement on there it bonded with the handle firmly.
SumHick

Post by SumHick »

Awesome idea!
Northern Tool has the quad cups, too.
I used to work glass with suction cups, and they will start losing effectiveness if the surface of the cup and the surface of the vehicle is not kept free of grit.
alanredfish

Post by alanredfish »

Just wanted to share my story using the yak loader copied from the pic above on my 2011 matrix with a rack mounted on the factory clips (which is really behind the front door.) I had one loader on the roof just above the windshield and the other loader on the hood. As my Liquid Logic manta ray came off onto the roof loader then down to the hood loader I head a noise. Apparently, the pvc "horns" were facing the windshield and the wt of the boat coming off the rack(which is way to the back) pushed the "horns" down into the top of the windshield and the windshield cracked. The suction cups on the roof also left two small dents. I realize that the weight wasn't evenly distributed enough which I believe caused the horns to push down too far and the cups to push in and dent the roof. Definately angry at myself for not figuring it out, besides having to pay $100 deductible to get a new windshield on my 2 week old brand new car!! I am ordering yakima permanent tracks and new mounts so I can move the rack closer to the middle of the car which should solve the wt distribution problem, but may not use the loader again. Instead I may buy the rollerloader, which also has suction cups, but a better design, at $165. My life was much easier with my 01 honda civic, threw a towel over the back window and trunk, put the boat on that, and sled it up on the yakima rack. Hatchbacks and these new cars with sloped roofs are tough.
BigDozer66

Post by BigDozer66 »

alanredfish wrote:Just wanted to share my story using the yak loader copied from the pic above on my 2011 matrix with a rack mounted on the factory clips (which is really behind the front door.) I had one loader on the roof just above the windshield and the other loader on the hood. As my Liquid Logic manta ray came off onto the roof loader then down to the hood loader I head a noise. Apparently, the pvc "horns" were facing the windshield and the wt of the boat coming off the rack(which is way to the back) pushed the "horns" down into the top of the windshield and the windshield cracked. The suction cups on the roof also left two small dents. I realize that the weight wasn't evenly distributed enough which I believe caused the horns to push down too far and the cups to push in and dent the roof. Definately angry at myself for not figuring it out, besides having to pay $100 deductible to get a new windshield on my 2 week old brand new car!! I am ordering yakima permanent tracks and new mounts so I can move the rack closer to the middle of the car which should solve the wt distribution problem, but may not use the loader again. Instead I may buy the rollerloader, which also has suction cups, but a better design, at $165. My life was much easier with my 01 honda civic, threw a towel over the back window and trunk, put the boat on that, and sled it up on the yakima rack. Hatchbacks and these new cars with sloped roofs are tough.
Ouch I hate to hear that! :(

BigDozer66
YackityYak

Post by YackityYak »

This is exactly what I need! I have now have a project to complete! :clap:
toshfam

Post by toshfam »

I have has success with PVC pipe and odd sizes and connections. I grind down oversized pipe on a beltsander to fit inside connection and then cut rings(bushings) to make up the difference. Makes a good snug fit.

On a side note. I'm probably like all other kayakers and go to DIY kayaksites for ideas. I hope having visited Austin, Amarillo and Corpus Christi qualifys this Floridian(west coast of the east coast) to chime in.
Ccreek

Post by Ccreek »

I have a few pictures of my loader just finished today. I added the bolt to strengthen the coupling. Works like a charm with my Hobie Oasis tandem.
Attachments
Kayak loader3.jpg
kayak loader2.jpg
kayak loader-20121013-1702.jpg
s-rod

Post by s-rod »

Thanks for sharing these ideas! I have the same type of vehicle as Ccreek so it's great to see a tried and true design that works for my vehicle.