TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...

Please Visit our Sponsor Hook1 Kayak Fishing Gear
My longest kayak is 15' and with a short bed on my truck it will stick out 9.5' past my tail lights; 5 of those feet past my bed extender. So even with lights on the extender I always kept one eye on the rear view mirror because there is still quite a bit of kayak overhang. I decided to build build a setup which placed some lights at the end of the kayak and complied as best as I could interpret the Transportation Code Sec. 547.382.

I used 3/4" PVC, some electrical conduit fittings, LED lights, a 12" x 12" red flag, flat black paint, reflector decals, and a TKF sticker to build the light rig. All of my kayaks have rudders so I utilized the rudder mount to affix the rear portion of the rig after removing the rudder and cables. Since my longest kayak overhangs the bed extender by 5 feet I made the PVC frame just over 5 feet in length so that the strap securing my kayak to bed extender also holds down the light rig. The width in between the PVC is wider than the tankwell so if I choose leave a milk crate or cooler while traveling I can still fit my light rig. The rear LED's are one of the smallest, red, 3-wire lights on the market which allow for brake and turn signals. I then used small, round, red and amber marker lights on the side. The PVC and conduit fittings let me cleanly wire everything within the PVC, except for the 8 foot jacket cable running to my truck's trailer lights plug. I thought it worked great on its maiden trip to Rockport this past weekend.
Attachments
DSC01334.JPG
DSC01332.JPG
DSC01331.JPG
DSC01330.JPG
Last edited by Neumie on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:27 am, edited 5 times in total.
A couple more pics of how it mounts , internal wiring, and approximate cost break down. I didn't realize it cost so much, but I had to buy everything as I didn't even have electrical connectors lying around. Still, I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out. It's lightweight, low profile, easy to put on/pull off, and just an overall clean look (IMO). You could probably built it a little cheaper if you have stuff lying around, but I'm not sure how much more as the LED's and wire were the bulk of the cost.
Attachments
Cost.JPG
DSC01340.JPG
DSC01338.JPG
DSC01336.JPG
I like. I used a slightly different solution for my similar issue. My yak hangs well beyond my truck bed and/or my trailer.

I fixed 2 12" red LED strips to each side of the back of my yak to give me a running and a brake/turn light on each side. I run then from my trucks 4 pin and I added a 4 pin to my trailer as well.

I'll edit in a pic on Monday.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk
Dred wrote:I like. I used a slightly different solution for my similar issue. My yak hangs well beyond my truck bed and/or my trailer.

I fixed 2 12" red LED strips to each side of the back of my yak to give me a running and a brake/turn light on each side. I run then from my trucks 4 pin and I added a 4 pin to my trailer as well.

I'll edit in a pic on Monday.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Tapatalk

Attaching LED's to the kayak is a great option. My issue is I own multiple kayaks of varying length, so I needed a solution which allowed plug-n-play. Post up your pics, I'm sure it'll help others out.
Dred wrote:Pics of LEDs rigged. These were shot on the trailer but stop/turn/run lights are powered by standard 4 pin flat.

Full brightness indicating turn or stop plus lights on: ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Looks like they're bright for sure. So do you have brake lights and turn signals or is it one or the other?
Dred wrote:Pics of LEDs rigged. These were shot on the trailer but stop/turn/run lights are powered by standard 4 pin flat.

That's a pretty slick setup. I probably could have done something similar with all 4 of my kayaks it would have been cheaper than my solution.

How well do the LED's stick to the kayak? What lead did you use between the truck and tail lights?
One pair (each side) running; one pair stop/turn. Stop/turn share bulbs like a trailer.

It's wired to a trailer side 4 pin flat connector which gets coiled and stowed when not connected.

No problems getting them to stick. Prep'd with rubbing alcohol. Only been on the water once but no problems so far.

SWFinatic wrote:Well done! How are you liking that Pilot? Sorry Neumie not trying to hijack your post.
Loving the Pilot. It is my first yak so I don't have many points of comparison. I'm going to buy a second yak this year but undecided on using this as a buddy (gf actually) yak and upgrading or just grabbing an inexpensive yak and letting buddies paddle.

Good to know. Thanks for the feedback.

Livescope is crazy! I've seen videos where you can[…]

Bass Poppers at the Creek

I think its my computer no you have two accounts[…]

PB Snook in Brownsville, Texas

NICE! I was just “discussing “ with my buddy about[…]