Spare Paddle

JW FunGuy

Spare Paddle

Post by JW FunGuy »

I’m looking for a paddle to carry as an emergency spare paddle. Hopefully something more compact than a standard two piece, light weight, but not a toy. Does it exist?
Do you carry a spare? If so what?
Thanks!
Cityfisher

Re: Spare Paddle

Post by Cityfisher »

I have another paddle for my buddy yak but I keep it in the hull of My Feelfree Lure in case I break mine while out on the water. I have to force it through the front hatch a bit.
Academy has a small hand paddle that is maybe 2ft long and could be used in an emergency, but other than that, I don't know.
Kirk B.

Post by Kirk B. »

I have an Academy paddle stuffed in the hull of my Cuda 12 in case my lightweight paddle breaks.
I suppose you could get a telescoping canoe paddle as a spare, but for $25, I would rather use a kayak paddle. A short paddle seems like it would be a pain to use.

Kirk B.
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

I have not typically carried a spare when day fishing marsh, BTB or a lake. However, I always carry a spare when on a river day paddle or longer and also any overnight trip along the coast, marsh. I spare no expense on on my spare and have had to use it a time or two on rivers. That is the reason I want performance paddle for my spare. I look at it like my truck spare tire. If you are off road and off the grid then you want something that will get you home. So for the truck it is BF Goodrich off road to match the other 4 and for my paddle it is a Werner 240cm carbon shaft, fiber blade Corryvrecken

SYOTW,
Earl
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

I make my own. I get a 6" wide cedar fence slat cut it about 30" long and shape it on my band saw. Can't beat the price and it works great.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

you could do what I did. My old spare paddle split the heavy shaft joint collar, leaving me without a spare.
Sneaking around online, found the Coreyvecken with a 20% discount at backcountry (discount is gone now).
So now I have 2 paddles to choose between, straight shaft/big blade Corey, and my older perfectly good bent shaft carbon Camano. And I'll always have a spare.
I highly recommend the ACK paddle bags -
- they do a great job of protecting blades and the joint ferrule on your expensive paddles. Worth $15, especially if you can put a free-shipping cart together.
a bagged 2-pc paddle disappears in the bow of my T160 - lotsa space up there