Learning to Cast a Baitcaster

Clip

Learning to Cast a Baitcaster

Post by Clip »

Learning to cast a baitcaster can be very frustrating. The biggest problems are backlashes and casting into the wind. However, it is pretty easy to cast into the wind without backlashes with any decent reel with centrifugal or magnetic brakes.

I prefer to practice with a small topwater. You may want to remove the hooks.

First, engage all of the centrifugal brakes or set your magnetic brake control for maximum. Reel your lure up until it is within 6 inches from the tip of the rod. Press the thumbar to free spool the reel. Adjust the casting control knob so that the lure just barely falls. Reel the lure back within 6 inches of the rod tip and push the thumbar again and tighten the casting control so the lure will NO LONGER drop. You can learn to set your controls optimally later. For now you just want to learn to cast. The most important thing is to cast easy. Try not to use your wrists. Using your wrist(s) is a snap cast, the reel will start turning fast from the beginning. You want the spool to start turning slowly and easily. Hard overhead casts are snap casts. You want to avoid these until you’ve mastered casting control. Try casting one and two handed. Try over head and side arm. Oh yeah, and always cast INTO the wind. With this setup, you shouldn’t have to worry about backlashes, and it is actually easier to learn cast control when casting into the wind and that is the objective. When casting two handed, you should be able to take your right hand off the rod handle during the cast without backlashing. Practice for accuracy and try getting a little more distance. Try using your thumb to control the cast. Learn to just barely feel the line against your thumb and vary the pressure to learn thumb control. Try using different size and weight lures. Remember to reset you casting control on each change.

Once you feel comfortable, you can reduce your centrifugal or magnetic brake settings. Don’t reduce the setting over 50%. Your brakes are what primarily prevent backlashing at the beginning of the cast, and the casting control (and your thumb) prevents backlashing at the end of the cast. When you feel comfortable using your thumb to stop the spool just as you lure hits, you can ease off the casting control and gain a lot more distance. Remember though, if you don’t use your thumb to stop the spool, your line WILL backlash.

If you can cast into the wind, you shouldn’t have any problems casting downwind. The problem with learning to cast downwind is that you can cast downwind without learning the control you will need when casting upwind.
kc5rkg

casting

Post by kc5rkg »

Good article...Thanks!
Camelspotter

Post by Camelspotter »

Nice instruction - makes me think even I can learn to use a baitcaster someday. Maybe I'll come home with a cheap one to practice with from Academy later today...
Randy_che

Post by Randy_che »

That's not a bad explanation. The most important thing to remember is practice! I got my first baitcaster at about 6 or 7, and I remember throwing it in the yard hours at a time (not because I couldn't get it, just because it was fun at the time). Reels today are a lot better than they were then, and someone can get decent in a few hours of time.

When pulling out a backlash, don't just pul the line out of the front of the reel. Pick at it, pull loops and knots loose, then pull it out gently from the front. If you just pull it, the worse the backlash gets.
livetofish
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by livetofish »

Camelspotter wrote:Nice instruction - makes me think even I can learn to use a baitcaster someday. Maybe I'll come home with a cheap one to practice with from Academy later today...

Do not go the cheap route. After using both, while the beauty of a well made spinning reel kicks in while reeling in, the casting reels really shine, you guessed it, when casting. So better get a decent quality reel than a cheap one.

I have couple of Shimano Citicas (old version) with ABEC-7 bearings that I can sell if you are interested.