Lake Conroe Bass Fishing

slcooper

Lake Conroe Bass Fishing

Post by slcooper »

Where's a good spot on Lake Conroe for bass fishing this time of year with a fly rod? I'm going to be on a kayak for the first time this Saturday and wanted to try it out close to home. Anyone feel like showing a newby the ropes? It doesn't have to be Lake Conroe, I bring beer.
ShotMagnet
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Westhiemer and Sam Houston TW; Channel 69 on VHF; "THE DUDE ABIDES" "NICE MARMOT&

Post by ShotMagnet »

I was planning on going to Gora bay this weekend but I cant seam to find the guy I was suppose to travel with. I would be up for fishing conroe. oh yea P,A,C,K has an organized trip out there on the 31st if I cant make it.

www.packtx.org
yanker

Post by yanker »

How much beer do you figure it takes to float a kayak. Does it depend on length????
slcooper

Post by slcooper »

ShotMagnet - That would be great if you can make it. Let me know when you find out (send me a PM or something). Do you know Lake Conroe very well? I really don't but I read a post that the area north of 1375 is good for kayaks (not so many power boats).

Yanker - I would imagine that it takes about as much as it does to float me, which is alot. Are you in?
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

SLcooper, it has been a while, but there is a state park of some sorts northwest of the 1097 bridge. If you put in there there is a boat lane heading towards the main lake and a lot of exposed timber directly across from the launch/park area. The shore line on the other side of that cove isn't too far away.
That is where I landed my largest bass to date- 26" and FAT.

I couldn't find my scale in time to weigh her so a measurement was all I got before releasing her back where she belonged.

This area doesn't get too many pleasure boaters due to the stumps sticking up out of the water.

Just a thought.
yanker

Post by yanker »

Hey Sl,
Am I in what????????????? In the woodlands, Yes. When do you fish Conroe???
slcooper

Post by slcooper »

Dave - Thanks for the tip, I'll probably try that area next time.

Yanker - I was asking if you would be out there. I fish Conroe when I get a chance, I live in Conroe so it's close. I've never been out on a boat before Saturday.

I put in at the Marina on FM 830 and fished in that area (including the 1097 bridge) for most of the day. I only caught one small bass but still had fun. I didn't see any other kayaks. What happened to the group that was supposed to be out there? Maybe they cancelled because of the weather. I didn't feel one drop of rain from 2-7 PM.