Newbie with artificial bait question

fishalot

Newbie with artificial bait question

Post by fishalot »

Hi guys, Just wondering how best to fish with DOA's and Spoons

Any special retreival technique advise would be appreciated.

Just got into yak fishing and want to learn how to use artificial baits instead of live bait.

Thanks in advance! :lol:
REDline
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by REDline »

for spoons it kinda depends where you are fishing...If you are out in the surf, I will let it sink for a few seconds, then BURN it back to the boat, but if you are in the bays, you have to slow it down some.

Dont know too much about DOA...maybe under a popping cork...I dont fish with them too much.
fishalot

Post by fishalot »

REDline wrote:for spoons it kinda depends where you are fishing...If you are out in the surf, I will let it sink for a few seconds, then BURN it back to the boat, but if you are in the bays, you have to slow it down some.

Dont know too much about DOA...maybe under a popping cork...I dont fish with them too much.

Hey, thanks for the advise. Do you guys fish in the surf on kayaks also?

How do you stay on the yak in the surf?
REDline
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by REDline »

mikemart wrote:Hey, thanks for the advise. Do you guys fish in the surf on kayaks also?

How do you stay on the yak in the surf?

yes, I will fish the surf on occasion in the summer, but there are several guys on here that fish almost exclusively BTB (beyond the breakers) year round.

On a semi calm day, or even in some chop, its really not that bad, unless you are prone to motion sickness :P

Maybe some of these 'regulars' that go BTB can chime in...I dont have too much experience with it, just enough to know it can be done pretty easily and you can catch some nice fish. I just wont go again till it warms up :D I will stick to the bays for right now.

chris
CowtownAngler

Post by CowtownAngler »

the best way i have found with the DOA's is to fish them slow. i've had my best success with them in deeper cuts and canals. popping cork works real good with the DOA shrimp.
CowtownAngler

Post by CowtownAngler »

the best way i have found with the DOA's is to fish them slow. i've had my best success with them in deeper cuts and canals. popping cork works real good with the DOA shrimp.
fishalot

thanks

Post by fishalot »

thanks for the advise guys
FOURPLAY

Post by FOURPLAY »

hey, you pulled a davila, wait a minute thats me!
FOURPLAY

Post by FOURPLAY »

hey, you pulled a davila, wait a minute thats me!
ryderredfish

Post by ryderredfish »

With the DOA(without popper) I like to give it a couple small jerks, let it settle, couple jerks, settle and so on. How hard I jerk, and how long I settle depends on the fish. Kind of like fishing a jerk bait.