Making weights

ELWJ2001

Making weights

Post by ELWJ2001 »

Is it a pain to make your own weights? If it is not, is it worth getting your own lead weight making kit to make 6oz and higher weights or should one just look at purchasing them every trip?
Cyber Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Making weights

Post by Cyber Yak »

ELWJ2001 wrote:Is it a pain to make your own weights? If it is not, is it worth getting your own lead weight making kit to make 6oz and higher weights or should one just look at purchasing them every trip?

From my experience, if you have the money to spend on sinkers every trip, its a pain to make your own sinkers. But after awhile, it's puts a dent in your " budget " . I would recommend making your own, lots of inexpensive mold and soft lead in ebay . . . :wink:

:D :D :D
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

Just becareful how hot you heat it and how ventilated the area is where you're doing this.
ryderredfish

Post by ryderredfish »

The fumes can be real bad, avoid getting water and other "impurities" in the lead. It's like throwing ice into a hot deep fryer, not pretty. I would recommend doing this in a shop, garage,etc. Not an inside deal. Also open all the window and doors you can. A box fan can really help.
Terry G.

Post by Terry G. »

there is an ongoing "making sinkers" over at surf-masters"
http://www.surf-masters.com/msforum/default.asp
Puck

Making wieghts.

Post by Puck »

I have 2 pots and 7 molds. After all this time and money invested, how do you think I prefer to fish?

With a fly-rod.

I still make batches of weights in the garage, with the door open, and the fan going. My brothers-in-law appreciate my making weights for them by sharing their "hot spots." And the wife likes to soak baits at the peir.

A bit of advice: buy the molds that you will use the weights from on your next fishing trip. The ones that make multiple sizes are a pain when all you want are 3/8 oz egg sinkers, and you only have one cavity that makes them in a 9 cavity mold......