Spring Creek from 1-45-Rayford Road

barrymondo

Spring Creek from 1-45-Rayford Road

Post by barrymondo »

Has anyone fished Spring Creek from below the bridge on I-45 and then east or west of the freeway??? Is it worth trying?
davewave12

Post by davewave12 »

I have not but really want to try soon. I would also like to do a fishing float trip from I-45 to 59, I understand it is an all day float even when the creek is flowing good.
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

I haven't had a chance to did it in long time so if ya'll want to try to set something up for next week sometime let me know and I will see what can be worked out, I have heard of some good fish coming out of the creek as of late so I would like to try.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
greyloon
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by greyloon »

Most who float Spring Creek do so from Riley Fuzzel to Jones Park, or from Mercer Arboretum on Cypress Creek. Haven't been to Riley Fuzzel sine they built the new bridge, so don't know about access. Its another 2 or so miles from Jones to Edgewater park, a private campground and boat ramp, the next best place to take out. In the Spring, the creek is supposed to be good for white bass. The last I talked to the Jones Park people, they allowed launching or pick up at the park, not both.
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Jesse Jones park is where we put in when leading trips in the summer for Houston Museum of Natural Science, since it is a bunch of kids mainly ages 11-13, this is the perfect place to launch, there is a nice slide that goes from the trail down to the water, but getting out would be a different story, the slope is alittle steep.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
greyloon
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by greyloon »

Its doable, the slope on the Brazos up at Marlin is as bad or worse and we get up and down it. Gerald, Strider, and I aren't exactly spring chickens either.
barrymondo

Post by barrymondo »

I would be interested in doing the float between I-45 and I-59 when this cold snap passes through. Hopefully a little rain would bring the creek up also. Lets talk about in the near future :)
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

greyloon wrote: Gerald, Strider, and I aren't exactly spring chickens either.

Ain't that the truth :shock: :roll: :shock: LMAO

Where is my spring chicken Emoticon when I need it 8) :lol: 8)
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Greyloon, where do you normally fish? I have found tons of places in the Woodlands, but so has everyone else. I would like to find somewhere to drift for some big cats or gar, yourself and strider seem to post some good pictures and talk of fun trips, so anywhere you could recommend would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600
greyloon
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by greyloon »

Strider posts the pictures. I mostly fish Lake Houston out of a park on Kings River. Its the second park up from West Lake Houston. There are a couple ;of channels that go to the main W. Fork of the San Jacinto. I mostly drift from below the bridge on the W. Fork on down to where the lake begins to open up. I also fish the channels. Sometimes, I bank fish at the Kings River Park and have done fair. That's what I did Tuesday, caught 8 to 3-4 lbs, none less than 16". I usually put out a couple of lines while I collect bait with my cast net. But, if its real windy or looks like a bad weather day for kayak fishing, I'll just bank fish.

Strider fishes out of his home area near Waco, mostly on Tradinghouse Creek Lake or the Brazos at the Hwy 7 bridge. He sometimes hits the Falls on the Brazos at Marlin, but that is not so much kayak fishing as using the kayak to get to the fishing spots, mostly large gravel bars.

If you are over in the Woodlands area, if it were me, I'd fish either out of Cagle Nat'l Forest campground, Stubblefield now that the water is up, or maybe either at the boat ramp on 830 or the marina nearby. A guy I talked to says the bulkheaded area in the lower lake are also good for catfish, but I think that's a night fishing proposition because of the jet skis, drunk power boaters, and ski boats. There are other areas, but those are the ones I know best. I've heard the rip rap around the break water at the 830 marina can be great catfishing.

What you need to do is go with us on one of the Brazos safaris, as Strider likes to call them. Most likely, though, the next one won't be until March or so when the weather warms up again. Even if you don't catch fish, its fun. Its also fun to watch Strider tangle with a big gar. The Brazos is great, you never know what you'll catch, blue cat, channels, flatheads, drum, bass, white bass,or gar. Its all fun.
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Thanks for the help, I will try to get out to some of these spots and see if I can do anygood. I would like to join ya'll for the Brazos Safari if I can get off of work. Thanks agian.

Chris
SWPS
chris@paddlesports.com
281-292-5600