Setting Drag

Clip

Setting Drag

Post by Clip »

I thought I'd ask this in new to fishing since the topic probably applies.

How do you reset your drag. If I am driving my truck with my rods in rod holders, I tighten the drag. I loosen it when fishing. My trouble is that I don't have a very good 'feel' just by pulling on the drag and sometimes I have it too tight and have to readjust it. Usually after losing some trout. Are there some good pointers for resetting the drag consistantly?
Jerry-rigged
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry-rigged »

The only way I know of to set the drag consistantly is to do it the same way the offshore guys do it - with a spring scale or weights. Decide how much you want your drag to pull (2#, 5#), hook you lure to a spring scale, and slowly pull on it, adjusting the drag until it starts to give at you desired #. Make sure your rod/line angle is about the same as when you would have a fish on. -or- carry a small dumbell around in your truck (2#, 5#, whatever) and just pick it up with your rod. Adjust your drag so it bearly slips when picking up the weight.

Do I do this? No. Do I know anyone who does it for bay fishing? No. Do I even know how much # the drag should pull? Nope. :lol: But if you want it truly consistant, you need the scale.

All I do is the 'ol pull test - just give the line a pull, right at the reel, to make sure my drag is not locked up. :lol: Consistant? No, not really. but it is easy.

Jerry
Vlaude
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Vlaude »

Yeah a scale is the best bet for setting drag. Tie a loop around the scale and pull, a spring loaded scale is the best bet IMO. I personally set my rigs for around 30-35% the breaking weight. I have seen some recommend as low as 20% and others that go over 35%. As Jerry stated probably a lot of fisherman don't do this, but if you are pushing the limits I'd say its a good idea. Even in bay fishing and the passes when catching bull reds, jacks, tarpon etc... its a good idea to have your drag dialed in. You lose a fish to a bad drag or setting and you'll be kicking yourself!

If you are using a heavier line for smaller reds, specs, flounder, smaller striper, bass, etc... You don't have to worry about it as much, and you can probably get a guesstimate on where to set the drag by giving it a pull, but if you size your line way down it will become a concern even with smaller fish... Just my 2 1/2 cents.
REDline
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by REDline »

if you are just setting it blind, it would be better to set it too loose than too tight IMO...If its too tight, you will lose the fish in an instant...If too loose, you at least have a chance to tighten...

I dont know if thats right, but thats what ive done when I havent had my drag set before...
Bug Man

Post by Bug Man »

I like to leave my drag fairly loose and then tighten it if I need to while the fish is on. Sometimes a fish needs to run a little, so I loosen it. This may not be best but it works for me.
Vlaude
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Vlaude »

Yeah better loose than too tight once you get the fish on, but if its too loose you might never get the hook set good and loose it anyways. But yeah if what you are doing now works why change it? The drag really become important when you are pushing the limits of your rig. You could throw 50lb spiderline on a ultralight and yank crappie and sunfish all day and never spin the drag once or ever think about the line breaking :wink:
Hookem
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Hookem »

I set mine loose, then adjust it during the fight.
Backwater Drifter
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Backwater Drifter »

REDline (AKA cam_blade) wrote:if you are just setting it blind, it would be better to set it too loose than too tight IMO...If its too tight, you will lose the fish in an instant...If too loose, you at least have a chance to tighten...

I dont know if thats right, but thats what ive done when I havent had my drag set before...

I agree. Pull the line out with your hand to test your drag an then go from thier. But take in to acount what lb. test line you will be using. :D :D 8) 8)