Float or sink?

Diesel

Float or sink?

Post by Diesel »

New to fishing, I have posted a question on baits to use, but when fishing for reds in shallow water...Lighthouse Lakes (or the likes), is it best to use a bobble float or sink the bait?

I am having mixed reults, and would appreciate someone with greater knowledge to point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

D.
Terry G.

Post by Terry G. »

i have always had better luck fishing on the bottom and my wife uses a float(bobber) with the bait almost touching the bottom.

and neither of us can catch fish using artifical bait.
Backwater Drifter
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Backwater Drifter »

When using live bait and some lures while fishing in shallows for reds I like to use a Clear float. While fishing for tailing reds the float allows me to easily see where my bait/lure is in reference to the fish. I don’t always use the float but it is a big help. When ever I decide to anchor or wade a certain spot and I am using bait I will also use a weight to keep my bait on the bottom. But I only do these on a clear bottom or on the edge of a grass line. If I was to fish over grass I would use a float to keep the bait suspended over the grass. As far as the length of line after the float will depends on the depth of water. Mullet is good live bait for reds and is what I have used with great success in the past. I was going to take a pic of some of the rigs I was talking about but batteries are dead in the camera right now. :evil: If you like I will post later? :?: As for know I will include a link to the fishing report forum and on the second pic of my post you may get an idea of what I was talking about on the clear float. Will hope this helps. :D :D 8) 8)

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... hp?t=56801
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

Good info Backwater Drifter thanks for sharing with us "Meat Chunkers"
Diesel

Post by Diesel »

Thanmks for your advice - This will surely help me.

Regards,

D.
ryderredfish

Post by ryderredfish »

I will fish the top or bottom exactly how backdrifter does. You and your wife are covering the water column. If she catches more fish rig that way, if not keep it on the bottom. Personally I like carolina/fishfinder rig.

Line,weight(I use3/8-1 oz. depending on current,wind etc.) Barrell swivell, leader(I use 40-50 lb test flourocarbon24''-36'') I add 2 colored beads right b-4 a kahle hook.(size 2/0-3/0)