Cast Net Throwing Problems

planohog

Cast Net Throwing Problems

Post by planohog »

:cry: I have tried several methods to throw a 6' net.
For reference these two methods.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/castnet/

with no luck. I got closer with version number 1 than version number 2

I also read the instructions provided with the net, not much better.

Looking at the pattern , there would be nill bait caught.

the weights are not in a good round pattern, looks more like a folded
pancake.

any ideas ??

Wife suggested I film my method and let others check see what I am
doing wrong. I may do that tomorrow.

.. Headed for Galveston Next thursday. so much for catching my own
bait.

--tmoore
DelSol
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by DelSol »

I learned on a 3.5' castnet in the backyard. Then worked my way up to a 6', 8' and now a 10'. I can only throw the 10' a couple of times because it's so dang heavy. I saw those same videos and not sure if they helped me much. My dad helped perfect my method and then it was just practice practice practice.

The way it's done in the first video is also how I throw'em.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

No comment......I may be the worlds worst casting net thrower.......I have learned to bum fresh bait or trade for it.
REDline
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by REDline »

The best way is to get someone to help you firsthand...Its hard to translate what you read about or see online into actually learning something.

Find someone on the board who is going out the next time you hit the water, and see if they will help you.

:D
oldsalt

Post by oldsalt »

If it's less than 4.5' . Coil neatly coil rope in left hand grab near the top of the net with the right. Then with left grab from the weights with just the thumb and fore finger. Let net hang straight and pick with the right thumb and finger while still holding the top section. Probably about 18-20" from the left hand. With the out streched hands in throwing positon, you want the net to droop a little with the weights in front and the rope behind with a little slack but not very much. Throw giving it a spin. The key is the slack between the hands with the net and rope. I'm guessing probably about 1 1/2 ". Then make sure rope is behind the weights. If the net and rope tangle it's because the slack is not correct or the rope got in front. If the net didn't spread out it's because you didn't give it enough of a spin.
planohog

Post by planohog »

I practice more on the beach and maybe Ill luck into some bait. Other than that I have some nice DOA shrimp to try.
we will be in galvevston thursday - sunday, dont know which days we will
fish and what days we will be on the bike, its lone star rally this coming weekend 250,000 motorcycles riding around here and there.
Thanks for the ideas
-tmoore
Terry G.

Post by Terry G. »

this is the easiest method i have ever seen.

take a $20 bill in your right hand and the cast net in your left, drop the cast net in a garbage can and with your right hand go buy bait with the 20.

i have the same problem , but i manage to beat my self with my net about my head
isubarui
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by isubarui »

I will give it a try to explain how i throw a cast net since a lot of people ask. The first thing is you are not throwing the cast net. You are tossing it out and it will open on its own with the right starting motion. Notice how in the video they are not putting a lot of effort into the movement as though they are about to drive a golf ball off the tee. I grab the top of the cast net with my left hand (being right handed) and with my right hand i grab halfway down the net. Now put both hand just above your waste so it forms a 90 degree angle with the net hanging down from your right hand. Reach down and grab a weight with your left hand and return your hands to the previous position holding the weight. A string of weight will be dangling from your left hand across your body down to the bottom of the net. Now with your right hand grab a one of the weights midway on the string so it opens up the net so the string of weights form a triangle between your right hand left hand and ends at the bottom of the net. Next you need to duplicate the throwing motion in the video. If you keep your arms away from your body when throwing it will stop you from using to much force. You are not throwing the net at the fish but tossing it above the fish and it will come down on top of them. Hopefully this is useful. I think this is the method most people use but maybe not. It is just the way I have always thrown a castnet that is around 6'.
CypressAg83
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CypressAg83 »

Here's a humorous story about one of my first attempts to toss a new cast-net from my boat's console-tower - while trying to impress my two guests (a customer and his young son).

Picture me standing atop the console-tower and my customer standing on the bow of my scooter-boat (next to his son). As I release the cast-net, the cord immediately tangles - causing the net to arc several degrees off-course; and land in a snarled mess directly on top of my customer's head. To make matters worse, it was my second toss of the net (it was wet and adorned with slimy/stinky seaweed). It was truly a Kodak-moment.

Thereafter, I garnered very little business from that customer. I guess he prefers golf :(
davewave12

Post by davewave12 »

I first tried to throw a castnet this past summer by the levee near surfside, I felt I was getting the hang of it but insted of making a "feed thru" loop with the line thru the braided loop I just had the braided loop around my wrist. I threw the net and...yep.. it came right off my wrist. being of frugal Scotch-German descent and not willing to part with a $20 purchase, I promptly dove into the slimy, stinky, murky water only to discover that it was at least 10 foot deep with a very soft mud bottom, unduanted I continued to repeatedly dive for it as my thouroghly disgusted wife watched. All I kept grabbing in that slippery ooze was broken glass and rusty fish hooks. Guess my immune system is in good working order because if anyone ever deserved a case of Vibrio for stupidity it was me that day
Terry G.

Post by Terry G. »

ya but did ya get the net ?
davewave12

Post by davewave12 »

Nope
Jerry-rigged
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry-rigged »

A tip on throwing the net -

(I use the "1/3" method of throwing a net. )

Here is one thing that is not talked about much. When you are holding the net, ready to throw, you have in your right hand, most of the net - you hold it palm up. As you throw the net, rotate you hand so that at the end of the throw, your palm is down. This small motion is what opens the net - get it right, and you will get the net to open nice.

Jerry
davewave12

Post by davewave12 »

reading all the instructions and watching the video makes me over analyze and over think the whole process. I just tried to do what felt natural, think of it like throwing a giant frisbee. an oltimer told me to just concentrate on throwing the lead line like a frisbee and not to think about the rest of the net at all. Learning on a 4' certianly helps before trying a 6' or larger.
houdini

Post by houdini »

davewave12

Post by davewave12 »

Houndini thats just more confusion for me.
planohog

Post by planohog »

houdini wrote:http://www.calusa.com/howtothrow.cfm

This makes it easy.

I must admin that method has worked better for me than the
others, I have not had a ton of practice at that but so far
its the one that works for me with a 6' net