Flounder run MAY BE ON

JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Flounder run MAY BE ON

Post by JimD »

http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/?
2 cool fishing reports board.

Check several different posts on all the flounder that were caught the last couple of days. Esp from Galveston ship channel. The run might be ready? :roll: :roll: :roll:
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Things to think about.

Post by JimD »

Interesting things that I have tried over the years is:

Modified Drop shotting for shallow water. I have used this to good success offering two baits in the drop shot method. Usually dark on the bottom or red/white and glow ch on the top. Both shrimp tipped of course. It is hard to get two flounder in the kayak at one time.

Have you tired trolling a bait behind the kayak when you are not in too much trash? I have caught a world of flounder like this. Be fishing guts cuts and back water and just drag a bait behind the kayak.

Used to use a Rudy G idea and used an old top dog and had 18" of leader with a plastic of the day. Dragged it behind the kayak caught some interesting trout and reds like that while fishing away during the year.

Words of widsom for new to flounder fishing. I feel the fish reel the line in point the pole toward the flounder and after about the count of ten I set the hook hard one time then just reel the slack out and hit him/her again.
YOu will be surprised on how hard it is to set the hook on a flounder.

When the hook is not set and the fish lets go at the boat there is a GOOD chance if you drop your bait quickly on the bottom you will get them to hit again. Remember: This time set the hook hard.
Terry G.

Post by Terry G. »

good post on how to "hook set", i have always kept my rod at 90% on a hook set and just never let up on tension to the hook, but then i dont catch a lot of flonder either.
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

TG

Post by JimD »

When I fish with finger mullet which is rare I hit them a third time. Two with the rod up and a third from the side. People argue on the wait time for live bait from 10 seconds to 60 seconds which I guess it depends on the size of hook and size of fm.

Buddy that I fish with all the time hits them two times as above then a third from the side just has hard.

FishFinder has his special combo "Ninja" rig as he calls it that he uses.

Uses a three way swivel and 18 inches leader off one end with a kahale hook and on the other end he puts 20 inches of line then ties to a long swivel weight then another 18 inches of line off the back of the swive and k bait hook.
He is tough because this rig will do doubles and gets one bait high and one low.
Attachments
Limit last year on red/white plastics
Limit last year on red/white plastics
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Went Sunday with Gary Z and we caught 6 or 8

Post by JimD »

Went Sunday with Gary Z and we caught 6 or 8 to all our south shore places. It was tough with very few flounder around. all were 13 to 15+. Did not keep any. Also lots of rat reds back in the edges of the marsh.

Strange was the fact that we did not see any of the small white shrimp that you always see in the marsh. Lots of mullet and a lot of the bay had the small bait with the pelicans working all day but nothing else.

Noticed on 2cooll and a private fishing board that the birds worked well on Monday, Second day after the front.

The other problem was the fact that most of our small guts had sanded in and many of theothers had errodied out so big that the gut was gone.

Each place yeilded a flounder very quickly then nada.

Be sure if you are around The state park to check the Geo tubes and the cuts inbetween. I have had good luck around the geo tubes over in the park with an out flow. There is an instant gut.