Places to fish in Galveston Bay and in the coastal bend

Flyfisher
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Places to fish in Galveston Bay and in the coastal bend

Post by Flyfisher »

Ray has had a good book for beginners to see where all they can launch or kayak all across the Galveston Bay system.

JimD the moderator asked me to post something about my new book on the Coastal Bend.

I am writing a book on places to launch a kayak or to wade fish (similar to my Galveston Bay book) and it covers the area from ANWR to Upper Laguna Madre (Corpus area) and I should finish the first draft this week end. There will be almost 300 site photos, maps, aerial photos, and satelite images included in the book. I hope all the revisions and formating for the publisher can be completed within two or three weeks and then it is in the hands of the publisher. They say six weeks or less (I'm hoping for less) so I'm looking at the end of December or the first part of January for the book to come out.

Ray

Wade and Kayak Fishing on Galveston Bay and Surrounding Areas, 3rd Ed.

by Ray Crawford

Over 120, drive up to, wading, and kayaking places.
Fishing/Kayaking areas covered:
East Bay, West Bay, Trinity Bay, Galveston Bay, Christmas Bay, Surfside and the mouth of the Brazos River.
Last edited by Flyfisher on Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry-rigged
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry-rigged »

I will 2nd this book. I grew up in this area, and thought I knew some spots - but I had nothing on Ray! lol If the site has public access, it is in the book - usally with driving directions and fishing tips for that area.

A "MUST HAVE" for anyone looking for a new spot, or looking for new info for places you know.

Jerry
fryfisherman10

Post by fryfisherman10 »

thanks man. i've been fishing freshwater my whole life so this book should help me broaden my "expertise".
Flyfisher
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flyfisher »

Here are a few places that you can fish without buying the book.
Attachments
Kayak Launch Sites.doc
(37.5 KiB) Downloaded 3327 times
Mrs.Five-0

Post by Mrs.Five-0 »

I highly recommend this book! Being a new fisherwoman and one who gobbles up knowledge and has to research everything I found this book (2nd) extremly helpful, a wealth of information and I refer back to it like a daily devotional :D
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

I use the "Galveston Bays" 3rd edition and have found it invaluable.

I like to go scout my launch spots out prior to showing up at 5:00 or 6:00 am in the dark. I took the book and traveled one Sunday to all the West side of the bay and another time traveled to Galveston island. Another thing I do is on my way home from fishing, I try to find one new launch area and Ray's book really helps.

Being a newbie 6 months ago, I really needed the help the book provided.
Da Rook

Post by Da Rook »

Mr. Crawford, any places around pelican island or by the bridge you can suggest to launch a kayak?

Flyfisher wrote:Here are a few places that you can fish without buying the book.
Flyfisher
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flyfisher »

Da Rook wrote:Mr. Crawford, any places around pelican island or by the bridge you can suggest to launch a kayak?

The only place I have launched a kayak around SWP is from the dirt road that goes off to the left about a half mile from the entrance to the park. Follow the road and it will come close to a nice small beach. Since I have been working on the Coastal Bend Book, I haven't been down that road for around 1 1/2 years.

Ray
Attachments
SWP 1.jpg
SWP 1.jpg (20.23 KiB) Viewed 10794 times
JimD
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Careful

Post by JimD »

If the road that Ray mentiones is the one that I have heard about it is on top of a levey steep sides and one lane with little area to turn on in good weather. It was redone a year or two ago but if wet or in bad shape be carefull.
Last edited by JimD on Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flyfisher
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Flyfisher »

JimD, that's right but the first quarter mile is flat and is just a regular dirt road, however it does go up a levee (?) and I was too chicken to go to the end without 4 wheel drive. :lol: Plus it had some of the worst ruts that I have ever seen.

Ray